The official and most atmospheric Children of Joonas thread

Yeah well I think tuning further down to reach a 'heavy impact' in the music is not the cure, for any of these bands. Think about the riff in SNBN just before the solos, it's very simple, in D, yet it sounds killer as fuck. Why is that? Because it comes from the heart. The music in itself is like a story. The other thing is how all the instruments shared their part in the stories, instead of being in the shadow of the guitar. The songs have become too 1-dimentional. Alexi must try to hear SONGS with all instruments having a role in the play, before even touching his guitar. This makes the music spring to life. Don't just jam with your guitar and 'see if something comes up.'

Found it.

Yeah, plenty of atmosphere here. The Autumn song is one of the creepiest / darkest songs I've ever heard and the chorus of the Winter song just might be the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard.

Now for another listen...

Can someone give a theoretical explanation why the keyboard section at 0:45 - 1:00 sounds so dark? It's one of the moments that Alexi & Janne refer to when saying they have a 'special way' to make the keyboards sound dark. They don't usually sound this dark to me, so I'd like to know if the secret is something that can be decoded (like a specific relationship to what the guitars are playing) or if it's just creative expression.

Probably just the notes that he plays boosted by the sound he uses. A sure way to make things sound dark is playing stuff in a diminished scale or a mode of harmonic minor. Unfortunately I don't have my guitar at hand atm so I can't test if that's what Janne is doing.

This is something 'else'.

It struck me this mysterious piano at 0:38 - 0:41 seemed deeply familiar... I believe this tiny section amidst all the piano is the source of the eerily pretty musical idea that sprouts to a gloomy flourish.

I dug my mind till my head hurt until I figured it's all over this fucking song! This fucking guy! Never underestimate a person that looks like Jesus. No, jokes aside, this is a melodically sweet track and there's many versions of it.

Yeah, I'm listening now. It's alright. The tracks start off good, but they are too long without memorable stuff along the way. Too drawn out. I think they're trying too hard to be epic and atmospheric when their best stuff to me was simple melodic shit that works like Death and Healing.

New music is refreshing at least.

Has Joonas finally gone mad now? Fuck is this piano shit? And that Arch Enemy riff wouldn't be out of place in a soap comercial. Weak stuff mate.

I'm silently developing some curious anticipation for the new COB album that's being composed atm in near secrecy. Honestly I have a strange feeling it'll be their worst record. But still, there's some hope for an exciting album. Now that they've dug into the old material, with a new second guitarist that's capable of writing some nice ideas too, and they're hopefully rerecording the track Knuckleduster. Questions start to arise, what colour will it be, what kind of sound, etc... one can only wait, and it'll take until next winter anyway before we know anything.

So it begins... again :D

Well, I like the discussions that start up here whenever there's a new album on the way so I don't mind. I too hope they re-record Knuckleduster.

Is it now time for the 4th shoulda-been classic Bodom album, with pink or violet cover art? I think it's possible they take a completely unexpected turn of style after IWC, since they've been performing pretty much the full first two albums live now. Even included Hatebreeder now.

Like, I don't have a fetish for neo-classical. I just have a fetish for dark, atmospheric, epic music. In my mind it should be about the nightside of Lake Bodom or the urban underworld. With a very specific colour & sound theme, something exciting.

I've discovered Rautiainen when I was looking for some finnish singing band and I immediately liked his style. It's usually not my genre of music, but I really like what he's doing (the instrumental Sarvivuori is one of my all time favorite instrumental)

One more idea for the new album...

I'd like if there was less vocals, and the lyrics were crafted keeping in mind how the words themselves sound like (even if you don't know any English), so it would sound cool with the music. This is how I think my favourite parts in the vocals are like. Much better and impactful that way, as opposed to having tons of senseless barking. Let the music tell the story, only have little vocals, but make them blow your mind.

Why not end some songs with a section of catchy rock riffing, kind of like to leave a wicked aftertaste of the song lingering in the air. This would also diminish the need for too much vocals. Let the music speak, less vocals. The music itself takes some focus, repetitions and tuning of your ear frequency to fully grasp the nature of the riffs, sometimes excess vocals are an unnecessary distraction.

Last edited: