The Official Metal Month Thread

The Sturgis and Koloss Avatar presets are pretty bad ass, to be honest. The koloss presets come with samples from Bergstrand that you can blend into other kits via X-drums.

The sturgis presets have some pretty awesome snares and toms.

came across these vids

imo sturgis presets sound not that great, koloss preset sounds cool, kick sounds like the metalheads kick to me though

Last edited by a moderator:
With this EZmix thing being a one stop guitar tone plug.. is it a good choice for a direct input monitoring? or, is it's processing load basically equivalent to your typical chain of say TS - AMPsim - impulse loader .. ?

This year sucked. Rock Solid sounds like crap and is audibly just one-shot Staub samples mixed into a decently recorded kit. Really mad I purchased that.

if thats how he gets his drum sound what else do you want him to do?

if thats how he gets his drum sound what else do you want him to do?

It's not his drum sound though, it's just the samples he uses. Like one of the kicks I can tell you with pretty damn near total certainty is just a sandwich of Death Kick and Rock Head from the one-shots that are floating around as "his." I just don't know what happened with the package; even the cymbals are unusable IMO.

This year sucked. Rock Solid sounds like crap and is audibly just one-shot Staub samples mixed into a decently recorded kit. Really mad I purchased that.

+100

The high end (especially on cymbalz) is so distracting and harsh that my ears bleed.

It's not his drum sound though, it's just the samples he uses. Like one of the kicks I can tell you with pretty damn near total certainty is just a sandwich of Death Kick and Rock Head from the one-shots that are floating around as "his." I just don't know what happened with the package; even the cymbals are unusable IMO.

+1 I feel the same way about rock solid. Not useable IMO.

I don't know if that's a part of Staub "secret techniques" but there's a huge disgusting phase shift between the direct/oh tracks and the compressed track. I think that's what makes the cymbals so damn ugly. But when you cut the comp track, everything becomes thin and washy.

In a sick twisted way I'm kind of glad none of this new stuff (including Slate CLA) sounds that great, it still means you have to work it a bit to get a decent sounding production as opposed to everyone and his grandma slapping together ezmix and rock-solid or whatever drums and it comes out sounding pretty "pro".

im eagerly waiting for a new Ezx

TMF lackings on the snare,toms
Metalmachine lackings on the Overhead cymble and i litterally hate the Ride cymbel no ting ting power bell

I hope sth new comes up real soon

I suppose there is no way to mix the samples from different EZXs and Superior, is there? Cause I actually quite like the Staub Toms but the Snares are kind of St. Angerish imo.

(I might add that I'm new to Superior so sorry if that's a stupid question.)

The sturgis presets have some pretty awesome snares and toms.
Could you be bothered to upload short sequences of all the presets with the drums solo'd? The samples on the TT site are online in a mix context but from what I can tell the kicks seem no so great while the rest sounds kinda punchy.
Would be ace man!

Anyone bothered with the Slate Presets actually?

I suppose there is no way to mix the samples from different EZXs and Superior, is there? Cause I actually quite like the Staub Toms but the Snares are kind of St. Angerish imo.

(I might add that I'm new to Superior so sorry if that's a stupid question.)

Xdrums, just unload the toms on the avatar kit for example, and load the staub toms as xdrums.

Cool, thanks man! I already figured X-drums was worth a look at but I haven't had the time to dig through the menu. Will do soon hopefully.

So... I can get either the Koloss or Sturgis presets for free - Which one should I get (or any Toontrack preset library, I guess)?

Kinda leaning towards Sturgis, just because the clips sound more mix ready and something I could easily tweak and be done. Interested to see how he's getting the fat snare out of the Avatar kit, too. Koloss sounds really similar to stuff I already have, but the added samples with it intrigue me. There's only 1 example on the Toontrack website for it, though... so I hate to judge based off that.

Normally, I wouldn't even consider getting any of them, cause I can mix S2.0 myself, but for free, I might as well try em!