The Official PPUSA 24-hour Restaurant Thread

Pellaz

Tigron of Immanion
Feb 12, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.paulcashman.com
There have been enough posts asking for information on 24-hour restaurants that I thought a new thread would be a good idea...and since I'm a local.....

I'm sure I missed some; everyone else can chime in. :tickled:

Chinese Buddha: 14th St., right next to the freeway on the west side. 24-hour Chinese restaurant, noted for the photo of 'Ick Jagger' visiting (he must have been desperate for a bite), Jackie Chan as your server, and not much parking (park behind it in the adjacent hotel parking lot). There are continuing rumours that they'll be forced to shut down and move when 14th St is widened, but that's been the case for two years now. They deliver, but the wait-time is typically long -- they have, like, one driver at night -- so for best results you can call ahead and pick it up in 20 minutes. (404) 874-5158 Prices are quite reasonable and don't exceed $10.
It's within walking distance from hotels on 14th St. or from the Courtyard by Marriott; a long walk from elsewhere. From the venue, go south on Spring St or Peachtree St to 14th, go across the freeway and turn left -- carefully! -- into its narrow entrance.

City Cafe on 10th Street: on 10th St at the corner of Hemphill. 24-hour diner with VAST portions. This is on the edge of the Georgia Tech campus; from the hotels and venue, go south on Spring St, turn right on 10th St, go across the freeway and up the hill; it'll be on your right. Although this City Cafe is marginally closer, I prefer....

City Cafe on Monroe Drive: Newer location with better food and a similar menu. You won't leave hungry. In fact, unless you're starving you'll probably leave with a to-go box. From the hotels and venue, take W. Peachtree north and bear to the left when it reaches Peachtree St. Stay on this ramp-like mini-highway thingie and watch for signs for Monroe Dr. and Piedmont. Take the first exit and make a left at the light (firehouse in front of you). At night, the City Cafe's lights will blind you, just ahead. There's also a 24-hour bowling alley across the street from it. To return, go back past the exit you used and at the foot of the hill, make a right, then a quick left (you'll see blue highway signs). Once back on that mini-freeway thingie, follow signs for Spring St and Peachtree St South; you'll pop out right at the old Fairfield Inn (r.i.p.)
Depending on traffic lights this can actually be a faster ride than to the other City Cafe. You can eat at either one for less than $10, but plan on $15. Of course, it'll be two meals for ya anyway. :)

Taco Cabana: 24-hour Mexican, fast-food style service (no tipping) but decent quality. Has an outdoor deck. Prices are about 1.5x what you'd pay at a Taco Bell, but the quality is better. To get there, follow directions above for City Cafe on Monroe. Go past the City Cafe and at the next light (Piedmont Ave), you'll see the Taco Cabana in front of you. Turn right on Piedmont and then a quick left into the parking lot.

Steak and Shake: get to I-75 North (14th St has a ramp) and then go to Exit 255 (Northside Dr/W Paces Ferry Rd) -- it's only about 3 miles. At the foot of the ramp, make a left and you'll see Steak and Shake on your left between you and the freeway. To return, turn left out of the restaurant, go to the next light (W. Paces Ferry), turn left under the freeway and then another left to I-75 South.

Waffle House: from I-75 North, the first two exits from the venue and hotels, Howell Mill Rd and Northside Dr, both have Waffle Houses, although the latter is closer to the freeway. Alternatively you can go to I-85 North and drive a few miles to the WH's at Clairmont or Chamblee-Tucker Road. (There's also a closer one on Cheshire Bridge Road, but it's harder to get to.)

Krystal or McDonalds drive-thru: Take I-85 north (follow directions for City Cafe at Monroe, but don't exit and follow signs for I-85 N) and exit at N. Druid Hills Road. For McDonalds, stay to the right. For Krystal, stay to the left and loop around to the west. There's also the Atlanta Diner across from the Krystal, but it's no better than City Cafe and farther away.

Next? :D

Well, I can think of some others...

The Majestic Diner:
Follow the link above to get info. like directions, but this is a 24 hour diner that is pretty cheap. The food is good...well, good for predictable diner fare, and it isn't very far from the venue.

Marietta Diner
You have to go up I-75 almost to 285, but its really not that far from the venue...at least not if you're used to Atlanta, where many sorry souls commute for 2 hours to work every morning and evening (not me, thank God). Marietta Diner is pretty good food, and has some different things on the menu aside from your usual burgers and what not. They serve breakfast 24 hours as well as some italian food and other odds and ends. Its probably 15 minutes from the venue. They also serve beer, which is a plus.

There's also an Italian place (I forgot the name of it) that seems to be open pretty late. It's down the street a ways (within a few miles or so) from the Residence Inn (going the direction towards the Kroger, not the CVS), on Peachtree St. It has a fountain in the front of it too. Sorry I'm not a local, I haven't driven around up there (Greykiller is always driving...thanks bro!), so I don't know my North from my South, etc...in Atlanta. My friends and I have eaten there at least twice between PPs IV-VI and they have good pizza (better than any fast food pizza chains anyways).

Plus we did get some decent pizza takeout that delivers to the RI (they had a menu for this place in the lobby), and they had a great deal. We got 2 large pizzas, hot wings (I forgot the amount, maybe a dozen or two), and some kind of cheesy bread all for $25, I believe! That fed five of us, hangin' out in the room and we still had left overs!

And for close and cheap, there's a Wendy's near the RI as well. The drive through was open late (till 2am I believe).

I don't think that any of these are 24 hrs (I could be mistaken), but they are places that served food late. I can't think of anything within walking distance, of the RI, that would be open that late. Anyone know of any? I also would appreciate it if anyone could identify the names of the first 2 places. Thanks.

The OK Cafe across the street from Steak N Shake at least used to be 24 hrs, not sure if it still is. More of a sit down type place. Good shakes though, lots of variety.

There's also a couple of Denny's. The gay Denny's is right off Buford Hwy (aka Old 85) at Monroe (near the Taco Cabana). If you're a guy and don't want to be hit on by the waitstaff you can go to the bad service Denny's further down Buford Hwy between N Druid Hills and Clairmont I think.

One recommendation about the Taco Cabana: Don't order their pancakes.

The Chinese Buddah: MMMMM.

c8e76ad5.jpg

-Metal

So, the consensus is that, if you don't have a car, and you're staying at the RI, then you're screwed after hours unless you're sober enough to walk to Chinese Buddha? :)

If so, it wasnt bad - I'm not big on chinese food but had a few things after one of the nights of the festival. Poor guys working looked surprised by all the metallers who paid them a visit so late at night.

Is this the one right over the bridge next to the Hampton Inn? IF so, it's edible and a crawlable distance.

Also - heard from the Hampton Inn that alot of their rooms have now been outfitted with fridges & microwaves because they have a business group taht shows up every other month for a couple of weeks at a time. They wouldnt guarantee me one unless i booked a suite (but the suites didnt have 2 sperate beds - but had a bed & sleeper sofa) - but as I call back month after month between now & september I will angle my way into getting at least a fridge. :)

manowarfan1

Locust0311 said:
There's also a couple of Denny's. The gay Denny's is right off Buford Hwy (aka Old 85) at Monroe (near the Taco Cabana). If you're a guy and don't want to be hit on by the waitstaff you can go to the bad service Denny's further down Buford Hwy between N Druid Hills and Clairmont I think.

Gay Denny's is now Gay City Cafe (although for any place in that part of town or in midtown "gay" should be assumed by now). Also, think the other Denny's is gone too.

There is also the Atlanta Diner on N. Druid Hills right off 85 (to the left if you are headed North).

If you want really great late night food and don't mind a driving, around 285 and Bufore Hwy. Hae Woe Dae Korean BBQ is the best late night food ( and so agrees creative loafing); they are open until 6am except Wed.. Also 88 Tofu House is good 24/7 Korean food in the same area.

Additionally, there is R. Thomas up Peachtree a little bit. They serve weird veggie stuff. Definitely the weirdest stuff you can eat in the middle of the night.

And if you want some place nice, Cafe Intermezzo is open 'til 4am. They are up Peachtree a little ways from midtown and best for Coffee, Dessert, and liquors (although they do serve food).

Robin

Locust0311 said:
I went to the gay Denny's once...the Grand Slam wasn't what I expected.

Chinese Buddha is great. The image of Roy Khan sitting on the curb outside a 24 hour Chinese restaurant is burned into my mind.