The Official SLAYER Appreciation Thread

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
After reading an interview today with Jeff Hanneman HERE, I began to realize what true legends Slayer truely are.

I have been listening to them for almost 20 years and they rarely have dissapointed. Even if they released some mediocre records lately they sure have made it up with some killer live shows. In fact in my 20 or so years of concert going I have yet to see a band more killer live than Slayer. NOTHING beats SLAYER live ... nothing. They never have dissapointed, never have seemed to have an "off night" and even now that they are close to 40 years old, they still play with the same intensity as when they were 18.

No fucking therapy sessions, no fucking self reflecting songs, no bullshit. Just pure intensity. Just 4 guys, 4 dudes, just balls out thrash metal. They know what their fans want and give it to them. I would compare them to AC/DC and Motorhead as far as having true rock'n roll flowing in their veins.

And now that the original lineup is back together I am sure they will deliver an amazing release.

There is still not one record in my collection, and I went through a lot of them in 2 decades of metal listening, that has surpased the intensity of Reign In Blood upon first listen. Nothing has blown me away as much as that record. It still gives me goosebumps and makes me want to run over people every time I put it on.

The next time they come around on tour, I promised myself that I will make it to the front row and sing my balls out to every song. Just one last time ... to my favorite band ever. Fucking SLAAAAAYYYYEEER!!! :worship: :headbang:

Show No Mercy rules. I debate whether I like it or Seasons in the Abyss more, but both are great. I have Reign in Blood and a couple live albums too, but I never got hooked by RiB, maybe I never gave it enough time.

This is one band I'll actually agree with lurch about. He got this one right, and I'm glad he persuaded me to buy their albums. I really like Seasons in the Abyss. Reign in Blood hasn't really hit me as the greatest metal album ever as many like to proclaim, but it's pretty catchy. I also lke Hell Awaits and South of Heaven. So in short, I like the 4 albums I have of them.

Divine Intervention was actually my introduction to the band back in '95/'96 and I didn't like it too much at all.

The fact that people wet themselves in anticipation for seeing a full rendition of Reign in Blood only proves how widely hailed the album is, even 18 years after its release.

I mean, it's not like they're playing any of their other albums in their entirety to please the fans. There is something about RiB that wins the majority vote. I dunno, maybe it's because it's the album that really put them on the map.

lurch70 said:
And now that the original lineup is back together I am sure they will deliver an amazing release.
Is it coming out this year? Blimey, if the new Slayer and Kreator come out this year, and they're as good as the new Death Angel, Megadeth, and Exodus, then 2004 will surely be remembered as the year for the thrash comebacks. It's weird how it was all timed together like that. :err:

Slayer rule, one of the first metal bands I started to get into. Not much to say about them, they rule immensely.

Oh man, I remember the first time I heard Dead Skin Mask about 13 years ago... :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: x85037150739107x10E243

reign in blood rules!

still gives me goosebumps and I've had it since it came out

playing it in its entirety makes perfect sense
can't think of a more cohesive record actually

only seen them live twice but very memorable

If this thread doesn't get over 100 replies I'm going to be very disappointed. :mad:

I can honestly say I'm looking forward to the new Slayer, because I think they're going to get it right this time around. Diabolus in Musica had a few good moments but sounded too mainstream to be real quality and God Hates Us All suffered a bit from aimless destruction, but neither one was a crap AOR album like their peers *cough* METALLICA/MEGADETH *achoo* so maybe with Lombardo back in the mix this new one could be really special.

Also, I know some people say God Hates Us All is commercial but I don't get it. I listen to a lot of crazy music, and I still think GHUA is pretty damn chaotic. Just not all that good. :tickled:

Listening to Slayer for the first time really freaked me out. I was a big Eric Clapton fan back then and into all that mellow stuff, Slayer was just insane to me back then. My mate gave me a cassette with the A-side of Seasons In The Abyss on it, and I remember listening to it on my walkman in bed with the lights out feeling thoroughly fucked up. The way Dead Skin Mask trailed off into the night was...haunting.

I'll rant more later cos I'm about to go out now. SSSSSSLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw making a new thread I'll just use this one to rank them. You should do the same, or suffer great perilous peril.

1. Seasons in the Abyss
2. Divine Intervention
3. Reign in Blood
4. Show No Mercy
5. South of Heaven
6. Hell Awaits
7. Diabolus in Musica
8. God Hates Us All

The first 6 are undisputed classics, even Hell Awaits.

1. Reign in Blood
2. South of Heaven
3. Seasons in the Abyss
4. Diabolus in Musica
5. Show No Mercy
6. God Hates Us All
7. Hell Awaits
8. Divine Intervention

1. Reign In Blood (obliged to)
2. Seasons In The Abyss (for aforementioned memories)
3. Show No Mercy
4. Hell Awaits
5. Undisputed Attitude
6. South Of Heaven
7. Diabolus In Musica
8. Divine Intervention
9. God Hates Us All

matt99_crew said:
1. Reign in Blood
2. South of Heaven
3. Seasons in the Abyss
4. Diabolus in Musica
5. Show No Mercy
6. God Hates Us All
7. Hell Awaits
8. Divine Intervention

I agree with ya here man.

SLAYER are one of the best of all f'in time.

1. Hell Awaits
2. Reign in Blood
3. Haunting the Chapel
4. Show No mErcy
5. Seasons ..
6. South ...
7. the rest ...

man on the last tour, they played like half of Hell Awaits ... I was in heaven.

this is definetelly their most elaborate release, complex ... all that shit

I know I sound like an old bastard saying this, but my stomach turns when I consider that Slayer are *supporting* Slipknot on the upcoming European tour.