The Official SymX forum "2005 albums of the year" thread

Umm... I really didn't like ANY of the albums that came out in 2005. I have one, and only one:

1. Opeth, Ghost Reveries.

I own all 8 of Opeth's records and post and that forum every day, too. Ghost Reveries isn't by far my favorite (Deliverance is), but I still like it. (like all of their other albums)

I thought I'd give a little detail on that since I only got 1!!!

The bands which I'm hoping albums from in 2006: (yeah I'm into lots of death metal so sue me punk!)

1. Symphony X
2. Morbid Angel
3. Cannibal Corpse
4. Opeth (I want to eat as much Opeth as I can get)
5. I don't know, some shred metal guitar guys new cd I guess

I suppose i got weird taste... Symphony X doesn't fit anywhere on this list :erk:

Yngvai X said:
Explain what is lame about it without saying it sounds less powermetal.
It's way too industrial for my taste. The neo-classical aspect which attracted me to that band in the first place is somewhat lost in AYDY.
Edit: Oh, and CoB isn't power metal at all. Thus eliminating the need to say they are in the first place.

MrFast said:
It's way too industrial for my taste. The neo-classical aspect which attracted me to that band in the first place is somewhat lost in AYDY.
Edit: Oh, and CoB isn't power metal at all. Thus eliminating the need to say they are in the first place.

Lots of people called them powermetal. Even metal-archives has them listed as "powermetal with harsh vocals."

Anyway, I like the ballsier sound, I don't think it sounds THAT industrial (not like a band like Pain or KMFDM does anyway). Dare I say the last 3 CoB albums are probably my 3 favorite of theirs...

MrFast said:
Probably drowned out by Alexi's ego.. ugh....... Selling out is so not underground.
Ever since he was in that issue of Guitar World, he's had a gigantic ego. But than again, after touching guitars that have been held by Steve Vai and Zakk Wylde, it's not possible to not have an ego after that.

Montu Skhmet said:
yo alexi is ill dont rag on him liek that

It's America. Clam down.

I dont know if beyond twilight's section x is a 2005 release ,but its gotta be one of the best prog cd's ive ever heard.i love kelly's voice.

Best of 2005,
Dream Theater-Octavarium
James LaBrie-Elements of Percussion
Demons and Wizards-Touched by the Crimson King

Looking Forward to in 2006,
Symphony X
Blind Guardian
Dream Theater Live Album

'll try to think of my favorites of 2005:

After Forever - Remagine
Stream of Passion
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
PoS - Be Live (if that counts)

In 2006 I'm eager to hear new TOOL. :) As well as Symphony X. I've already heard parts of Synchestra, sound cool.