the official Woods of Ypres thread

Very sad news. I just saw David in NY on his recent tour (supporting Novembers Doom). Excellent show, nice guy, as friendly as ever, bought the "life is full of pain and piss" shirt. Will wear it today.

Their Heathen Crusade show is always going to be one of those grand memories...."WOODS! WOODS! WOODS!"... playing the demo in its entirety. And that was the night we talked about his love for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and the incessant desire to make (and release) music on his own terms. And with that, WoY stole the show.

Hey everyone, hope all is well my friends. Been a long time, too long.

hey bro.

well, i guess i didn't see this when i posted the separate thread. anyway. this is how i'll choose to remember this band & person:

Last edited by a moderator:
hey bro.

well, i guess i didn't see this when i posted the separate thread. anyway. this is how i'll choose to remember this band & person:

Hey Erik.

Well, let's face it, for whatever ups and downs with their music, we all know them round these parts because of your review of the demo. Is it still quite possibly one of the best demos ever? Amazingly, it sounded even better live.

I realize I haven't been on here in a while, but news of this made me come back here. I will remember him as a great person to interview, even in the midst of the hotel chaos after the show.

:(

David was an awesome dude who truly cared about his fans, yet did not give a fuck about pleasing the True Metal Warriors. He did what he wanted--what inspired him--and this is the mark of a true artist, as opposed to a mere scenester. He was also one of the nicest musicians I've ever come into contact with. He will be greatly missed.

Definitely wishing I had kept in touch with him more. It is a shame he took his music in a direction that I can NOT get myself into at all, but he was always good to talk to and very dedicated to his art and his fans.

this is one band I never properly checked out. i heard the debut demo and didnt think much of it and wrote them off.

i then heard Thurisaz cover a song from their last album and thought it was cool enough.

should i waste my time? fyi, i have plenty to waste

everything except the demo that i've heard is straight up embarassing to be honest

First demo is pretty unruly, but it's been a long time since I've spun it. I only have that and the Green Album, which is..........an album.

David Gold was a super nice dude. Only the good die young.