The "Opeth - Heritage kicks ass" thread

How awesome is this new Opeth shit?

• Total voters
zabu of nΩd;10034600 said:
I'm just amazed that people can't appreciate the fact that Opeth has totally broken from the mold and tried something completely outside their comfort zone with this. How dare they!

People can appreciate what their doing, doesn't mean they have to like it.

Umm, they didn't. It's a typical Opeth record, really. They just skipped all the metal sounding shit. I really don't understand why there's any controversy whatsoever.

tbh i don't think they've often played around with melodies this accessible, and there's a good amount of random goofy unexpected shit that has never been there before. obv there's a lot of standard 'soft opeth schlock' all over the place, but not enough to call it 'a typical Opeth record'

Rock album of the year. Might be Opeth`s best and most interesting album to date.

I think the album is bullshit. I rather listen to some old genuine Jethro Tull, King Crimson w/e than this copycat shit.

I guess you could call Radiohead (which is amazing) prog rock, but no new bands play prog in the classic 1970's style, except for the new Opeth album. And don't even try to bring up jam bands, because they take prog rock, rape it, shit all over it, and try to call it art.

I don't really like prog so much and I don't care for the guitar tone on a lot of the songs. I don't think it's "terrible" but it's gone in the opposite direction of what I personally enjoy listening to.

I guess you could call Radiohead (which is amazing) prog rock, but no new bands play prog in the classic 1970's style, except for the new Opeth album. And don't even try to bring up jam bands, because they take prog rock, rape it, shit all over it, and try to call it art.

There's actually been quite many newer bands who've played in the 70s prog vein. Many Swedish bands from the 90s did this, and in a much better way than Opeth did with this album. Änglagård, Anekdoten and Landberk are all classic and original bands up to par with groups like King Crimson, Jethro Tull or Goblin, and they never for an instant sounded like second grade tribute bands, unlike Opeth does on Heritage.

It seems like the prog sound itself was more important for the band than having songs that actually go somewhere or have some specific atmosphere.

I still don't know what to think of this album. There are some fucking awesome parts on it, but it's completely different from any other Opeth album.

Outside of those with a bias against Opeth, what is wrong with this album? How is it different? They didn't change their sound at all. Sure, they left out a few parts (growling, chuggs-chugga riffs and double kicks), but otherwise it's textbook Opeth.

And that is what's wrong with that album. It sounds like textbook Opeth, while it was supposed to be a tribute to 70ies prawg rawk. It's like they chose a genre, and they bastardized and dumbed it down to the level of Opeth's melodies and harmonies and chord progressions that we've heard a thousand times before.

It was marketed as a marriage of Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Jethro Tull (Folklore does have its fair share of Tull influences. It's also the only really good track on the album), while it's basically Opeth sucking their own suck, and recycling their own music.

Initially I gave 9/10 to this album, when I first listened to it. I don't remember wtf I was smoking back then.

Here's what 70ies prawg rawk revival should sound like.

Last edited by a moderator:
zabu of nΩd;10034714 said:
Obviously Opeth is far inferior to Sabbath, but when you think of how few metal bands out there can even make a decent shot at 'classic' material (however derivative it may be), i'd say that's plenty of reason to be impressed with Opeth's effort.

Why obviously?? How many people say stuff like this, but never actually have Black Sabbath in their regular listening??