Lost in Time

Sabin Frost

Doom makes me happy
Apr 21, 2007
South Australia, Australia
A thread to discuss albums or bands that you think might have been missed or forgotton by the masses that deserve to be known.

I will kick if off by saying the band Cynic with their '93 album Focus.

They may not have released a ton of albums (in truth their 93 album was a first and last) but they combined some really technical death metal with jazz fusion, electronica and a lot of other really experimental forms of music well before Opeth's later popularised Prog/Death Metal and really were one of the first bands to release an album with both clean and death vocals along with the likes of Fear Factory.

Technically by far they were one of the most talented bands of the 90's.

Pretty much anyone into Death Metal knows it or should know it but there are still plenty of people that do not. Yes it is highly regarded but there are still a fair few people which may have missed it as it is relatively underground outside of the die-hard metal community.

The point of the thread is not necissarily to dig up the most obsquere cds you own just anything you "think" is deserving of a reminder.

Intruder - Fantastic late 80's thrash along the lines of Forbidden with a strong Fates Warning influence, with a great deal of character. I've never seen them having been mentioned anywhere at any time. Aside from myspace and a few reviews, the band doesn't seem to have any fan base. It's always strange to me that bands like Testament and Anthrax could become so popular when great stuff like this became lost in the mists of time.

www.myspace.com/intrudermetal
http://www.intruder.biz/MP3.htm

Hey that is not bad at all, I like the vocals and the tempo changes and there was a pretty cool solo around 4 minutes on the track face of hate. How did you find out about the band? I cant find anything substantial on them, I mean wikipedia is fairly comprehensive usually and all it says is that there is a metal band called Intruder, not even where they are from.

Hey that is not bad at all, I like the vocals and the tempo changes and there was a pretty cool solo around 4 minutes on the track face of hate. How did you find out about the band? I cant find anything substantial on them, I mean wikipedia is fairly comprehensive usually and all it says is that there is a metal band called Intruder, not even where they are from.

They are from Nashville. I bought a 2nd hand tape of Psycho Savant on a whim based on the cool cover.

Yeah well they are pretty good and they have the whole album free to download. This is exactly what I was hoping would come from this thread.

Now I think of it, there was a pretty good German band I heard once and I thought I would mention it, I only thought of them because of posting on the black metal thread. The band is called Moonblood, they have tons of bootlegs, demos and the like out there but very little in the way of albums. Its fairly epic, has a great feel, I dont have any links to songs but their website is www.moonblood.org

Winter was an awesome band I used to get into when I was a kid. I forgot all about them till a couple weeks ago. I tried finding their CD but couldn't find it for sale (at a reasonable price at least).

Moonblood are relatively well known in these parts. Blut & Krieg is absolutely classic.

A vast amount of albums I thoroughly enjoy are very much overshadowed by the classics of the time, usually due to poor distribution and label management. For the time being, I'll throw this in;

Throne of Ahaz - Nifelheim. This album is basically the grandfather of all Swedish Melodic Black Metal bands, combining the Norwegian style of raw black metal with what would become the trademark Swedish sound. Extremely underrated and essential, as far as I'm concerned.

Funeral Oration - Sursum Luna

Fucking GREAT black metal from southern Italy. Though clearly second wave bm, Sursum Luna, FO's first and only full length, has a definitive thrashy, old school quality to it. To sum it up in one sentence, it sounds like a symphonic version of Tormentor's Anno Domini. And I would go so far as to say that it is on par with Anno Domini in terms of quality. I never hear this album mentioned, yet Aborym, which Malfeitor Fabban went on to form after FO disbanded, are easily one of today's more popular bm bands.

Anyone ever get into or hear of Ved Buens Ende? I know a few people that just heard a bit about the band last year when they announced a reunion.

In any case their album Written in Waters is a fairly unique listen to say the least with some excellent vocals and well worth checking out.

The black metal enthusiasts here duly recognize this album, but at large Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike is underappreciated. I've never heard anyone speak ill of this one. It's really too bad nothing else was heard from the band after it.

Ephel Duath - Phormula, re-released as Rephormula.

They became fairly well-known for their second album The Painter's Palette which was an interesting mix of jazz and metal. But Phormula is better. It's one of my favourite black metal albums. It's hard to describe - partly electronic, partly industrial noise, partly carnival-esque oddities but still at its heart a complex, atmospheric black metal album.

Apotheosis - Farthest from the Sun

Another BM favourite of mine. A one-man band from Malta, there's a ton of talent in here. It's got that folk feeling evoked by the likes of Summoning but it's more toward the realm of massively epic black metal, kind of like a more modern and more technically proficient Bathory.