The past is a curse: an observation

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
Enforced traditionalism is diametrically opposed to the advancement of knowledge, and this is as true in music, particularly that rapidly expanding strain we affectionately call metal, as in any of the other arts and sciences. Borrowing too heavily from established formulas is the root cause of stagnation in metal, and the route by which one selects the instant gratification of simplicity over the limitless promises of experimentation have become prevalent enough to dilute the genre and condemn it to an endless cycle of imitation. And I have always contended that creativity can only flourish without obstacles when it isn't susceptible to the temptations of the mainstream, or when an artist has that rare quality we often define as integrity or following one's own vision, but in fact goes far beyond that...eclecticism and innovation are not merely qualities that ensure commitment to an aesthetic of one's own design, but necessary instruments to survival.

Originally posted by Demonspell
Enforced traditionalism is diametrically opposed to the advancement of knowledge, and this is as true in music, particularly that rapidly expanding strain we affectionately call metal, as in any of the other arts and sciences. Borrowing too heavily from established formulas is the root cause of stagnation in metal, and the route by which one selects the instant gratification of simplicity over the limitless promises of experimentation have become prevalent enough to dilute the genre and condemn it to an endless cycle of imitation. And I have always contended that creativity can only flourish without obstacles when it isn't susceptible to the temptations of the mainstream, or when an artist has that rare quality we often define as integrity or following one's own vision, but in fact goes far beyond that...eclecticism and innovation are not merely qualities that ensure commitment to an aesthetic of one's own design, but necessary instruments to survival.

Well, of course this is true with most metal bands. But of course, that's what is so special about the few innovators who eschew metal tradition for innovation and experimentation. I hardly feel that eclecticism is necessary for survival, though...take a look at Pantera :rolleyes: But for the most part, I see what you mean...

Originally posted by BigFakeSmile
jazz is gay

Hahahahahahaha :lol:

Yeah, by the way, you know what I'm sick of? People who equate jazz with being "experimental" or "innovative." :rolleyes:. (BTW, BigFakeSmile, I'm not saying you do this...your comment just inspired me to go off on this tangent.) It's a genre like any other...and while it may not be based on typical pop structures, that doesn't make you "progressive" to throw jazz chords or rythyms in your music. Does this bother anyone else?