The photography thread

Jarkko: That's not an easy question to answer. In short - yes, that would be a totally OK first proper camera. But you could also spend much less (and even go as far as buying and old OLD 300D with kit lens) or you could decide that this is the hobby you want to pursue for a while and then you might want to read some info on the internet prior to buying and invest some more money.

An advice for you - act exactly as when reading info on guitars, mikes or amps, that is take seriously as little as you can. People talk a lot while knowing shit and brand fanboys can be worse than any other when it comes to photo equipment. The differences are really subtle from the point of view of a beginner and if you will grow to like photography, you'll learn what you need along the way - NOBODY can tell you everything in advance.

I, for example, prefer Pentax cameras, but just for one simple reason - availability of old manual lenses and their easiness to use. I prefer taking photos with those old lenses, as they can be had for cheap and you get excellent image quality (but you lose automatic focus and mostly zoom ability as well). So it's really about preferences rather than brand A being so much better than brand B.

Absolutely, and all valid points, I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't falling into the same trap as an aspiring guitarist who googles Harley Benton guitars considering his first axe and finding 50% of the people calling it crap while the other 50% says it's perfectly fine for a first instrument. Then he ends up with bleeding hands from horrible fretwork and an instrument that fails to keep tune for more than two minutes at a time ;)

If canon were fender the EOS1000D is a squire strat, a perfectly good camera, no frills, handles well and does the job, just nothing fancy and not amazing build (ie, lots of plastic and little weather sealing). The sensor is a little bit dated and the high iso capability is limited, iso400 onwards is noisy, but it's a good, reliable camera with very easy, intuitive controls. For 250 euros that is a good deal.

...The sensor is a little bit dated and the high iso capability is limited, iso400 onwards is noisy...

Nothing that good de-noise program, such as Topaz, can't deal with nicely. ;)

It's a perfectly good camera (and I think that's what Joe shoots). And don't get caught up in the mega-pixel hype like so many people do. 10MP is MORE than adequate for most needs...unless you're planning on making poster size prints.

And as said...don't listen to brand fanboys. The differences in brands aren't THAT big. I've heard so many people buy into talk from these brand fanatics. I usually tell them it's like, which car is better...toyota or nissan? ford or chevy? They all make good cars. It's just a matter of finding what best suits your needs and your situation. I was debating between Canon and Nikon. The main thing that it boiled down to for me is: I know several people shooting Canons...but I don't know anyone shooting Nikon. If I get a Canon, I can borrow lenses from people. If I get a Nikon...I'm on my own. :lol:

I would go for a better used one, that's the way I did, got the Canon EOS400D from my boss, it was only
used on a tripod in one room, just like 2000 shots, got it with the kit lens for 150€ and it was almost new.

and a big +1 to everything grywolf said, I have a few friends that started with Nikon and changed to Canon
or the other way around, just try what is better for you.

I would go for a better used one, that's the way I did, got the Canon EOS400D from my boss, it was only
used on a tripod in one room, just like 2000 shots, got it with the kit lens for 150€ and it was almost new.

and a big +1 to everything grywolf said, I have a few friends that started with Nikon and changed to Canon
or the other way around, just try what is better for you.

This might be something I have to check out. Seems like there are lots in the used market, going from 150 to 200€, quite a lot with a couple of lenses and a bag plus other extras. A friend of mine has that model, and from quickly trying it out, it seemed pretty cool. Thanks!

And thanks for the comments, everyone! Very helpful!

Nothing special again, just some quick shots taken before starting the session today:

DPP_0001.jpg

DPP_0007.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0003.jpg

Thanks for the help, everyone! I snatched an EOS 400D (12000 shots) with the 18-55 kit lens, a spare battery and a couple of CF cards for 180€. A pretty decent deal around here, as I was about to buy another one without the spare battery and cards for 245€ used from a store.

Should arrive next week, coolio!

jager.jpg

drunken shot, but I like it :D
not sure if the colors are very good, had to use my old fucked op screen.

and yes, that bottle is actually very old, you can see the dust on it...

Thanks! The shot was pretty much ruined, but the demon head was a lucky coincidence :) I also tried to get some stars in a picture and failed miserably getting lots of noise.

6235760014_3655674c94_b.jpg

Now I'm starting to spam the thread. I think I'll go and try to actually learn the camera properly for a while now instead :lol:

Star photos are hard to take inside the city. The best ones I ever took were in the Mojave desert, about 150 miles from any major city.

Here are a few photos from when I shot Foo Fighters a few weeks ago

320953_10100264875214950_20900167_47465550_1127734839_n.jpg

305820_10100264875374630_20900167_47465553_1018418687_n.jpg

296356_10100264875534310_20900167_47465557_1545982502_n.jpg

I hate you Jarkko-you just got a cam and you're already shooting way better pictures than me, you've got a studio
and are able to mix and master way better than I will ever be able to, and you're fucking younger than me!

@Brian-awesome shots as usual, especially the last one.

I hate you Jarkko-you just got a cam and you're already shooting way better pictures than me, you've got a studio
and are able to mix and master way better than I will ever be able to, and you're fucking younger than me!

Don't worry mate, the pics wouldn't look half that decent upon a closer inspection, and I'm currently painting summer cabins on the side to compensate for a serious silent period in the studio gig :lol:

The kind words are much appreciated, though! :)