The photography thread

I recently got a camera too. Really digging it.

51743518664ea.jpg
Your focus is off. Try to use a smaller aperture (higher F number), so things are still sharp in case you slightly miss your focus.

This is probably a 50MM shot at f1.8?

just bought a T2i and love it (it's my first DSLR). I bought it mostly for studio and youtube videos but i think it's interesting how similar a lot of aspects of photography relate to audio in a way (like noise floor etc.)

Your focus is off. Try to use a smaller aperture (higher F number), so things are still sharp in case you slightly miss your focus.

This is probably a 50MM shot at f1.8?

Gee thanks!

I did actually lower slightly the Clarity in LR on purpose for this shot. Can I post more photos without you bashing me? :D
I'll be sure not to post my video which is full of bokeh.

just bought a T2i and love it (it's my first DSLR). I bought it mostly for studio and youtube videos but i think it's interesting how similar a lot of aspects of photography relate to audio in a way (like noise floor etc.)

I love it! It definitely gives me similar pleasure to writing, mixing, etc. Same with video.
What I love most about photography so far is being able to actually listen to different music while editing pics.
Can't really do that while tracking bands or mixing etc.

I was thinking as well that it has quite a few similarities to music production, and that it's so much more than just having a good quality camera and pointing and clicking.

Will definitely start checking around for some good second hand camera deals.

I was thinking as well that it has quite a few similarities to music production, and that it's so much more than just having a good quality camera and pointing and clicking.

Will definitely start checking around for some good second hand camera deals.

Just a short addition - cams (just the body) will probably last just a certain amount of shots.
Sure, that's (depending on the cam) thousands and thousands of shots, but some cams get fucked
up pretty quickly and so on.
Lenses on the other hand...I am shooting alot with lenses my dad bought over 30 years ago, one of them
was lent to a friend of him who shot with it over 30 years, probably 200.000 shots...

My next gear-update will be a new body, but lenses, if everything works, doesn't really matter to me
if they're used.

Just a short addition - cams (just the body) will probably last just a certain amount of shots.
Sure, that's (depending on the cam) thousands and thousands of shots, but some cams get fucked
up pretty quickly and so on.
Lenses on the other hand...I am shooting alot with lenses my dad bought over 30 years ago, one of them
was lent to a friend of him who shot with it over 30 years, probably 200.000 shots...

My next gear-update will be a new body, but lenses, if everything works, doesn't really matter to me
if they're used.

I'm pretty certain when you say "cams" you're talking about the actual camera, but just to be clear, you're not talking about some small moving part that modern cameras have that gets worn out (like a car cam or something)?

Gee thanks!

I did actually lower slightly the Clarity in LR on purpose for this shot. Can I post more photos without you bashing me? :D

He wasn't bashing you he was trying to help. You clearly focused on the lips and not the eyes.

Gee thanks!

Don't worry, i'm just trying to help you. Everyone is a beginner when you're learning something new.

Lots of beginners make the mistake of using too large apertures in situations where it might not be a good idea.
Taking pictures at F1.8 gives you very nice bokeh ... but also a very narrow depth of field which easily results in having your focus slightly off your subject.

For an example, take this photo i took a couple of months ago:
8508110292_88b9770a42_c.jpg

This was shot at F2.8 and the focus point was right on the eye so that part is sharp ... but because of the narrow DoF the nose isn't sharp and that is bugging me. If i had shot this image at F4.0 or F5.6 the nose would have been sharp and the background would still have awesome bokeh.

I don't know about Canon, but the nikon bodies I'm familiar with are rated at 150,000 shutter actuations for the consumer/prosumer stuff and 200,000 for the pro stuff. That is generally the life of the shutter mechanism. Actual mileage may vary. Anyway, just something to consider when looking at used bodies.

Fair enough. I suppose it's common for people to go overboard when they have lenses capable of f0.95 but personally it doesn't bother me as much as it does others. Like I said I even lowered the clarity to make her face have less detail. I was going for a quasi ethereal look but I will keep your advice in mind. Less is more. I should've know this already.

53Crëw;10610284 said:
I don't know about Canon, but the nikon bodies I'm familiar with are rated at 150,000 shutter actuations for the consumer/prosumer stuff and 200,000 for the pro stuff. That is generally the life of the shutter mechanism. Actual mileage may vary. Anyway, just something to consider when looking at used bodies.

that's what I meant, for example, there's a pretty huge message board here in Germany that's just about DSLRs
and there are many used cams for cheap, but quite some of them are from at least semi-professional photographers
and some of the cams already had around 100,000 shutter actuations.

When I bought my cam from my old boss, it had about 1,000-1,500, so it was almost new.
I shot around 2000 photos in Paris last year in about 4 days and because my gf was with me, I wasn't shooting as
much as I would have shot alone.

Wow, some GREAT shots in here!

My job now is almost strictly graphic design, so I really only shoot vacations and landscape scenes anymore, but I'm hoping to get into wedding and concert photography again. Picking up a Canon 5D Mark II tomorrow (I wanted the Nikon D600 or 800... but just a bit out of my price range right now when I add in the cost of glass). Still, pretty excite! :D

Here's some old pictures.

Great pics Matrixclaw, but your colored watermark is very distracting.

Yeah, I plan on doing a signature for future works, these were used for the final project of a class I took a while back and part of the assignment was to create an identity logo and place it on all our works in our portfolio ;)

P.S. Anyone shooting on a 6D? Was gonna get the 5D2, but the more I research, the more I think I should go for the 6D. ISO performance is insane on it. I'd like to go with the Nikon D600, but there's just too many issues with them still that I'm not sure I really want to bother. Plus, it doesn't perform in low light as well.... Dynamic Range on video is significantly better though... But glass is a bit high for my budget right now ;)

What are you planning to shoot? The Canon 6D is a nice fullframe camera with high iso capabilities, but the AF system is a bit disappointing. It could be good enough if you're beginning, but a more advanced user might need a better AF system with concerts/sports.

Do you already have canon lenses? If yes/no, what do you have and what are you planning to buy?

What are you planning to shoot? The Canon 6D is a nice fullframe camera with high iso capabilities, but the AF system is a bit disappointing. It could be good enough if you're beginning, but a more advanced user might need a better AF system with concerts/sports.

Do you already have canon lenses? If yes/no, what do you have and what are you planning to buy?

Main uses will be:

• Concerts (low light)
  • Weddings/portraits (on location)
  • Events/candids (often for large print or advertisements)
  • Commercial studio shots (products)
  • *Landscape/wildlife (more of a hobby when on vacations)

*I'm fairly sure I'm going to pick up a 60D down the road for this, as a crop sensor might be a bit better for its extra reach, so this isn't really a HUGE need on the FF camera's part.

I know the 6D definitely has less focus points than its Nikon and more expensive Canon counterpart... but from everything I've read, its autofocus system is significantly better than the 5D Mark II, plus its most impressive feature is its ability to focus in very low light conditions. Also, the cross-type AF point engages at a much lower aperture (f5.6) than the 5D Mark II. The 6D doesn't have as quick of a max shutter speed, but I honestly can't think of a single instance where I'd use 1/4000 of a second, let alone 1/8000... The Nikon D600 needs use of its AF assist light to really even be usable in some situations, and at many events I shoot at, this could be a problem, as I want to capture candids, and the AF light is distracting. Plus, while the Nikon might have more focus points, all the cross types are in the center, which doesn't really give it much of an advantage over the 6D in most situations. 6D actually reaches further out on its frame for focus points.

I don't currently own any DSLR equipment. I was shooting m4/3 and Canon EF-S before. I sold all my gear to make the upgrade, as I knew I'd be going full frame, or switching to Nikon DX, and none of my equipment would be usable on either system.

For lenses, I'm planning on picking up either the 50mm f1.8 or the 1.4 after I try them both (I have friends who own both and say the cheapo one is the best bang for your buck in the Canon line... but I also don't want to wish I'd bought the more expensive lens down the line if I find it has significantly better optics. I'm not really set on a second lens yet, some sort of telephoto for sure. I was thinking the 24-70mm L, as I have someone who'd sell me one for a very attractive price, but I need to go try some more out before I spend that much on something. I'm used to shooting on primes from my m4/3, so I'm happy using the 50mm until I decide on a nice compliment to it.