The photography thread

Edit : LR question, how to apply to a whole set of pictures a copy of edits ? I can only do it picture by picture, while sometimes I would like to apply them to say a whole series shot with the same angle with the same light at the same time of the day ?

After making all your adjustments on your first picture, select all the other pictures, click "Sync", choose which controls you want applied, apply or done, or something...can't remember off hand....and you're done. It saves soooo much time. :)

66872_588851077794279_1809289222_n.png

Sounds pretty interesting, what should I be looking for in the picture (what effect does it produce)?

In my case I didn't use it as a way to get cool effects but rather to have a photo with even lighting and no hard shadows, without using expensive lighting gear (just used the light on my cellphone).

After making all your adjustments on your first picture, select all the other pictures, click "Sync", choose which controls you want applied, apply or done, or something...can't remember off hand....and you're done. It saves soooo much time. :)

Thanks I will try that, I am surprised they would call it "sync", that's why I never found it !

LMAO!!

That Schecter has wound up on more records than I care to remember. It's a nice, solid chunk of wood that sounds great & stays in tune. The fretboard might be a little nasty, but it's earned it.

As for the girl, we weren't shooting nudes, so yeah, maybe I'll do a little touch-up there :)

But that's a preview of the style my 2014 SMG calendar will be. "Hot babes & hot guitars" I've got some real eye-openers for this project :)

Played around with my dad's old lenses and the macro extension rings, worked quite well, even if it's hard
to focus, especially with the 35mm lense plus 50mm of macro extension.

8679509571_863acf8999_b.jpg

8679510355_7c9569c3b5_b.jpg

And the first time working with a bouncer-I love tomatoes ;)

8628548546_d16b6681ba_b.jpg

Looked through my photos from last years visit to Paris, liked this shot and edited it quite a bit.
I know, the left corner looks pretty bad, but the sky was overexposed and there was no information
left in that area...

8627425703_eebd8f2118_b.jpg

My total photography experience is snapshots with my phone (HTC One X camera), so what is a pretty general-consensus "good" starting off camera and lens to get to start getting into it a bit more seriously?

I'm guessing it's the Canon EOS 5d mkII or something like that?

The Mark II is a fucking awesome camera, probably way more than just "good" for starting...
A friend of mine works for a company that does advertising clips, they shoot all the clips for
the industrial stuff of Bosch, most of it is shot with the Mark II.

The photos that I posted above were done with a Canon EOS 400D (Rebel XTI afaik) with
either the kit lens (last shot, the fountain) a 50mm 1.8 Canon lens (the tomatoes) or 30-40
year old lenses (the two macros) from korea my dad bought back than for a few bucks...
I am not a photographer by any means, I am just playing around with decent equipment but
even with that stuff, imho the photos I am taking are acceptable.

A good starting kit imho would be something like this:
Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T3i) with a fixed length lens like the 50mm 1.8 Canon, it's a really
nice lens, pretty sharp, lightweight and cheap.
Besides that I would get myself a decent Zoom lens, doesn't really matter if it's a Tamron,
Sigma or Canon in my experience as long as you get a decent one, every of these manufacturers
has some nice lenses.
Canon sells a 17-85mm, that's good for shooting wider areas or buildings on 17-20mm and at the
same time nice for portraits at 70-85mm.
You could get yourself some kind of superzoom like those 18-200mm but these lenses aren't as
good as the ones without such an extreme zoom area most of the time.
Imho 85mm is enough most of the time as long as you don't shoot tele stuff that is far away, like
animals, for that kind of stuff you could always get a 70-300mm or something like that, but I actually
like to shoot animals and still almost never use it...

Ok, that's good to know, the 5d mkII is quite pricey (the mkIII is shit expensive I see).

I can get this: Canon EOS 600D Twin Lens bundle - EOS 600D 18-55 IS lens, 55-250 IS lens, Sandisk 16GB extreme card, EOS Backpack for what works out to $941 (including delivery), is that reasonable or would just the camera with maybe some other lenses be better (depending on the price of course).

For a complete noob it seems like a fair place to start.

Lenses are both ok...nothing special, for the start the 600D with the 18-55 lens would even be quite a decent
start - if you got a friend with a cam, you could ask if he lends it to you for 1-2 days, that way you could get
to know if it's something for you or not.

About the price, I have no clue about the prices outside of Germany so it's hard to judge for me, bought my
400D used from a friend, paid 150€ for the cam (about 1000-2000 shots, just in the studio) with the 18-55
kit lens, but that's a steal - probably the best money I've ever spent.

In the end, it depends a bit on what you want to shoot but equipment isn't the biggest factor, for example
I just saw an interview with a swiss photographer, it was on a huge photo show in Germany.
He showed 7 photos he did with 7 different cams, nobody (80% professional photographers) was able to tell
which photo was shot with which cam, the worst photo was taken with a 7k € Leica, one of the best photos
with a Olympus for about 700€.

The only lens I can recommed for sure (there are lenses I like, but that's quite subjective) is the 50mm 1.8
Canon because it's cheap, lightweight, sharp and just very nice overall, weights just about 15% of my tele
and is great for almost everything :D