The photography thread

First photo I edited from my vacation in Berlin:
9479672194_b9c3d1fe97_c.jpg

Thanks, I stumbled upon this cat taking a nap in the evening, there was only streetlight so to get the right exposure (just over 1 second) I put the camera on the other bench, which made for an interesting composition with the 105mm. The portrait is just my lady posing for me so I can test a manual Nikon 50mm/1.2.. might have been set to 1.4 or 2, though, can't remember and the info in the exif is incorrect with these lenses.

^ Cool Shot. Looks almost first-person-view video-gamish.

Gear Question: I have an EFS 18-200 and am looking at getting the 24-105 L F4. I understand the shortfalls of it being narrower at the Wide-end and shorter at the Tele-end than the 18-200. That is not a concern for me. I am interested in Sharpness, Contrast (all of my shots need Contrast adjustments with the 18-200) and focus speed (18-200 focus speed is pretty good, especially compared to my 50mm f1.8, but I want faster). Has anybody here had any real-world hands-on experience with both of these lenses side by side? If so, is the image quality difference that appreciable? I have read tons of articles/reviews on both so I am really after some information based on personal user experience rather than opinions based on specs/reviews or "It's an L Lens so it's just heaps better".

Thanks for any help.:kickass:

Hey guys, I recently scored a Canon 600D on eBay (it hasn't arrived yet). What software do you guys prefer? Lightroom, Aperture, ACDSee,...?
From what I read, Aperture has an easy interface and not as steep learning curve as Lightroom.

I actually only use Camera Raw and Photoshop but depending on what you want to do I would either use Aperture or Lightroom,
probably Lightroom because of stuff like radial gradients and so on.

Lightroom.

I also use Capture One Express every once and a while (it was a free a few weeks back, dunno if you can still get in on it or not, Google around!).

Got my camera since 2 days but I only got the SDHC card today, lol... was a pain in the ass to wait.
I mostly read about photography today and played around a bit. Still most of my pictures look sharp in the camera but not when I look at them in Lightroom.
Yeah well, that's how it feels to be a beginner I guess :loco:
There was a nice sunset though, and I managed to get a half decent shot from inside the house through an old and horribly dirty window with 3 panels of glass. But it doesn't show as much as I feared ;)

Also, if you have tips and criticism I'd appreciate it, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I mostly read about photography today and played around a bit. Still most of my pictures look sharp in the camera but not when I look at them in Lightroom.

Are you shooting RAW?

That's because the preview you see on the camera is the JPEG preview. The camera is auto-sharpening the preview you see.

Are you shooting RAW?

That's because the preview you see on the camera is the JPEG preview. The camera is auto-sharpening the preview you see.
Yes! Didn't even know that, thanks. I think my problem is the focus, though - I mean some shots are perfectly in focus and sharp (in RAW, too) and others look sharp on the tiny LCD screen but really aren't. I now zoom in on the eyelids or hair for example, and it kind of works that way.

edit: Another sunset :D I also want to hit myself in the face because I shot something darker before, so ISO was at 400, and I forgot to turn it back down for the first picture. Duh.