The photography thread

How's the video on it?

Full HD video, works great. It can be shaky if you're moving around and using a longer focal length, but video quality is fine.

Glenn, not sure what you mean by "punch in", you can zoom in on the screen x7 and x14 if that's what you mean. It also has focus peaking which colors the areas currently in focus and it helps a lot, unless there's very little light in which case it doesn't really work.

Very little choice of good and cheap E-lenses to be honest but you can buy a variety of mount adapters and use many lenses as long as they can be used in manual focus and allow you to adjust the aperture manually.

Glenn, not sure what you mean by "punch in", you can zoom in on the screen x7 and x14 if that's what you mean. It also has focus peaking which colors the areas currently in focus and it helps a lot, unless there's very little light in which case it doesn't really work.

Very little choice of good and cheap E-lenses to be honest but you can buy a variety of mount adapters and use many lenses as long as they can be used in manual focus and allow you to adjust the aperture manually.

That's exactly what I mean. I try to shoot manual as much as possible (it's how I was trained) and I have about 40 vintage lenses of various makes & sizes. Zeiss, Takumar, mir, helios, you get the idea :)

The fact that it has focus peaking has now really got my interest. Thanks for the tip! I'm going pawn shopping this weekend!

...and for your imagination, here's a little "avant garde" for you guys :)
HM20.jpg

The fact that it has focus peaking has now really got my interest. Thanks for the tip! I'm going pawn shopping this weekend!

Hope it works for you if you do get one. Might have to update the firmware to enable peaking mode, if the previous owner hasn't done it already.

Great pictures guys. You drive me to practice more. Personally I'd love if you wrote one or two sentences about how you took the picture, what settings and gear etc. Not asking for presets, I just think it's interesting haha.

I was on vacation in Greece, shot nearly 700 pictures :D
Still haven't even edited half of them and my 5 year old MacBook isn't making shit easier.

Great pictures guys. You drive me to practice more. Personally I'd love if you wrote one or two sentences about how you took the picture, what settings and gear etc. Not asking for presets, I just think it's interesting haha.
All of my pictures are linked to Flickr, you can look at the EXIF info and see what gear was used including all the settings.

If you want more information ... just ask :)

Personally I'd love if you wrote one or two sentences about how you took the picture, what settings and gear etc. Not asking for presets, I just think it's interesting haha.

I'm always using manual mode on a Sony NEX5. I usually shoot portraits, so for the most part the aperture is wide open to give me shallow dof and less distracting elements in the background. In this case I was using a 50mm/1.2 which tends to be too soft at 1.2 so I closed it a bit (1.4). Shutter speed settings are kinda irrelevant - you adjust it so there are no clipped highlights then bring the rest up where necessary (shoot in RAW obviously).
I had to use the 50mm mainly because there wasn't much room to move around with the 105mm and there wasn't enough light for a f2.5 lens. Otherwise I almost always take the 105mm, it's much easier to get a nice composition with less distracting defocus even though it's f2.5 vs f1.2. Another thing to consider is how much distortion you want - you're usually far from the subject with the 105mm so things are less distorted and more compressed, whereas you can see some distortion on the 50mm which may or may not be a desired effect (could be perceived as more intimate but is rarely flattering).

Let me know if you need more specific info.

I'm very proud to present: 3rd runner up for "Miss Universe Canada" & an absolute riot to work with. This shot was her idea.

m21.jpg

The entire guitar world set can be found here:

This one's by far the best of the bunch in terms of originality, light and composition:
http://www.guitarworld.com/files/imagecache/gw_imagegallery_slide/gallery/m20.jpg
Though I'm sure most guys here just want to see some skin instead.
Fully agree, that is a killer shot.

From a shoot the other day:

Athena-12X8.jpg
My opinion: I really hate the selective color thing, it was a funny effect but it has been used to much by 13 year olds on Myspace. Its completely overdone, and 99% of the times it doesn't improve the photo but makes it look amateurish.

And it's very annoying to apply around hair/thin lines.

Ouch! Tough crowd. Never done anything with selective color before, thought it worked well with the "goth chick" thing & thought it worked very well with the cityscape. It's for the month of October for my calendar & fits in with the "spooky Halloween" motif.
Thanks for the input though... I'll be sure to keep that particular effect to a minimum. :)

*edit* You're probably right, of course, put the saturation back in on the calendar & it really did work... just desaturated the background slightly for a more pronounced subject.

Ouch! Tough crowd. Never done anything with selective color before, thought it worked well with the "goth chick" thing & thought it worked very well with the cityscape. It's for the month of October for my calendar & fits in with the "spooky Halloween" motif.
Thanks for the input though... I'll be sure to keep that particular effect to a minimum. :)

*edit* You're probably right, of course, put the saturation back in on the calendar & it really did work... just desaturated the background slightly for a more pronounced subject.
Just my honest opinion ;) I don't think that the selective color effect actually improves any picture. If a picture is interesting on its own it doesn't need it, and if the picture is not interesting/strong enough ... well, a fancy edit won't help it either.

The shot with the tattooed girl and the bc rich is pretty cool, i think a colorful/contrasty/saturated shot would look nice.