The photography thread

Here are some of my recent street shots
1381514359_DSC08986-2.jpg

1381072327_DSC08935-2.jpg

1381072283_DSC08925-2.jpg

1381072232_DSC08910-2.jpg

Great work from everyone on here. Really great. Jipchen...those shots of Greece are amazing. Soundlurker...your street photography just makes me want to give away my camera gear. It's like listening to Jeff Loomis, shaking my head, and putting my guitar away for a while. :lol:

I've been debating whether to post these here. I'm by NO MEANS a graphic illustrator, designer, or artist and barely know what I'm doing. But for the past few years, around this time of year I take some of my pictures which have Halloween potential and attempt to get them into the spirit...so to speak. Just something I do for fun since I love Halloween. Maybe someone here might like them too. But sorry, there's not really any blood and gore. I'm not really into that. Think of it as more "classical" Halloween stuff. :) A couple of samples:

10309706295_bb0c722abe_z.jpg

10374448985_8d3846595e_z.jpg

Full size of these and others are in my Halloween set on Flicker:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35570017@N07/sets/72157627769120877/

Happy Halloween!

Thanks for the info arvoitus (didn't see that they were Flickr links at first, haha) and Soundlurker. :)
Didn't mean a specific picture, more of a general thought that we (read: you ;) ) could include some info on how the picture was taken. Like "light came weirdly from the side so I did X and Y etc." plus what lense and why, what aperture etc. But then again I wouldn't want to write a huge text everytime, too, and I mostly don't even remember, so... ha.

@arvoitus: The fish pictures are ridiculously awesome, where was that and how did you do it? Wouldn't the glass fuck the pictures up?

@grywolf: Thanks! I like the Hallowee pictures :D Some are over the top for my taste (I generally don't like too much photoshopped stuff in pictures) but I love the upper one you posted for example. Also I feel the same about Soundlurkers photography, it's a mixture of "dude fuck it I quit" and "I really want to be able to do that too" :D

(Flickr links, so click on the image for the full resolution)

I used the Canon plastic fantastic (50mm 1.8 II, see above) a lot, got to love wide apertures and then got a Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM really cheap a few days ago. The bokeh is just amazing. At 1.4-2 shit looks like an oil-painting :loco: And with f/2 or higher it's really really sharp. This lense is a lot of fun.

And some Bavarian landscape

^I've said it before...I'll say it again. I hate you. ;) It's sooo not fair that you have such beautiful things right around you to photograph. What do I have? Houses, buildings, freeways, and power lines. :)

Also I feel the same about Soundlurkers photography, it's a mixture of "dude fuck it I quit" and "I really want to be able to do that too" :D

Wow dudes, I've always wanted to inspire this kind of feelings in my audience but usually it's been the other way around :D
I recently had the privilege of working with the woman whose portraits are one of the main reasons I got so interested in photography
http://1x.com/photo/343036/all:user:325764
Hoping it will get published but either way I'm so happy I got the chance to meet her and to take the shot I've been dreaming about for so long.

BTW, jipchen, the photo of the rose has beautiful tones!

Mark, all of those 4 shots and a bunch of other decent ones, were done in 2 hours, in the area between two subway stations. I seldom shoot street photography. There are a lot of interesting subjects if you look around, you just have to take notice and present them well (composition is very important). Good luck!

Thanks for the info arvoitus (didn't see that they were Flickr links at first, haha) and Soundlurker. :)
Didn't mean a specific picture, more of a general thought that we (read: you ;) ) could include some info on how the picture was taken. Like "light came weirdly from the side so I did X and Y etc." plus what lense and why, what aperture etc. But then again I wouldn't want to write a huge text everytime, too, and I mostly don't even remember, so... ha.

@arvoitus: The fish pictures are ridiculously awesome, where was that and how did you do it? Wouldn't the glass fuck the pictures up?

99% of my shots are made with my Nikon D5100 and a 50mm f1.8, i love that lens (and it's the only lens i got except the kitlens).
I love bokeh so i like shooting at low aperture settings, i'm not a big fan of shooting at f1.8 because of the very narrow depth of field and lack of sharpness. But something between f2.8/f4 is my go to setting.

The fish pictures are made in Sea Life in Berlin. All of those are shot with my 50mm, the glass is not a big problem if you don't use a flash and the aquariums are bright and the rooms are a bit dark (no reflections).

I used high ISO settings (ISO1600) to compensate for the weak lights. And i used the middle/center focus point of my Nikon because it is a cross-type sensor (which can focus better).

Most of the pictures turn out very blue'ish (ofcourse), but when you shoot in RAW you can adjust the white balance so you can recover a shot which makes a huge difference, and you get rid of that nasty underwater look:
fishy.jpg

The jellyfish had some cool RGB led lights in the aquarium which shifted color every second and those lights made the fish look really awesome. I shot a couple of pictures with different colors and i did adjust some contrast and white balance.

The yellow butterflyfish was a lucky shot, the aquarium had some bright lights so i could shoot at ISO800 with F2.8 and 1/1000s but i had to wait until the fish appeared in front of my camera ... and then it suddenly was right in front of my camera with the body at the perfect angle.

@jipchen, damn that "Ivy & Moss" is awesome ... i love how you got that bokeh at the background with that light. I gotta figure out how to capture that.
Do you notice a huge difference between the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 (besides the 1.8 and 1.4 difference)?

Great info, thanks a lot. Real impressive shots. I had to use the manual whitebalance to get some shots right (I also shoot RAW), or get a little more of a warm feeling sometimes, but never that crazy. I would've probably ditched the shot and thought it was crap (referring to the automatic WB shot) :lol:
@jipchen, damn that "Ivy & Moss" is awesome ... i love how you got that bokeh at the background with that light. I gotta figure out how to capture that.
Do you notice a huge difference between the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 (besides the 1.8 and 1.4 difference)?
Basically you get that sort of bokeh (and that amount) by shooting in the direction of the light, though not directly into the sun of course. I have some more shot with my Sigma 17-70 C and its bokeh is WAY cooler imo, nearly 100% round and very bright with no dots or edges etc. Which is funny because I would've expected the 50mm lenses to be better. The Sigma is "only" f/2.8-4.

Well, like you said I mostly don't really use 1.4 or 1.8 because it's hard to get right and even then the lense is not as sharp as it would be at f/2 or f/4 etc. But the 50mm f/1.4 gets better sooner. So at f/2 it is pretty much perfect as far as I can see while the 50mm f/1.8 start getting really good at f/2.8. But It's nice to have the possibility to use it a bit more open, and the vignetting is less. Also if you nail a shot at 1.4 or 1.8 with the 1.4 lense, the bokeh / blurred out background is amazing.
Other than the actual picture quality what drove me to get the 1.4 was the build quality (the 1.8 has a plastic lense mount, and everything feels like cheapest plastic), it has USM instead of the noisy slower autofocus, it has a nice big manual focus ring (filming with the small one of the 1.8 is just impossible) and last but not least it's heavier but not really heavy. I hated when the camera was way heavier than the plastic lense, because it was weird to hold it :loco:
But seeing you're using a Nikon most of those features wouldn't really apply.

I have to upload a few bokeh shots with the 50mm 1.4 and especially the Sigma 17-70 because they are ridiculously awesome (not the pics, the bokeh haha).
EDIT: Added two pictures, both shot with the Sigma. I don't think the lower one is a good photo honestly, but it shows the bokeh.

IMG_4534.jpg

my girlfriend has the old cannon rebel, do you guys think the cannon T3i would be a good xmas gift? or should i look into other options?

ah it was late and i was typing in the dark. Cannon T3i is what i meant to say. i believe she has two other lenses not sure what though.