The photography thread

^ All of the above can work if you know what you're doing and all may not work if you don't :)
All of these were shot using natural light, indoors:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.623679887644731.1073741834.576318885714165&type=3
When shallow depth of field is required you use a large aperture and when sharpness and detail is key you use a smaller aperture. For the latter you'll probably need a stand to get the long shutter speed that is required for proper exposure (keep the iso at the minimum). If you need specific advice feel free to ask.

Forgot to mention a pretty important variable - framing with different focal lengths will change your distance from the guitar drastically which leads to different amounts of perspective distortion. Framing with a long lens you get a flatter, more accurate representation of the guitar, whereas with a short(wide) lens the parts that are closer look bigger than normal and conversely the parts that are distant look smaller than normal. Both can work, just depends on what you're after.

Just picked up a Canon 17-40mm f4L with a Canon L-39 Sharp Cut UV Haze Filter and a Quantaray Professional Circular Polarizing filter, with all the original packaging in brand-new condition.... for $350.

First impressions:

HOLY HELL this thing is wide! :lol:

Super excited to get working with it... Gonna be amazing for the architectural shots I have coming up!

Did some promo photos and live shots for a mates band over the last week. Here's a few of my favourites
tumblr_myygqdlRI71rvaw85o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_myygqdlRI71rvaw85o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_myygqdlRI71rvaw85o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_myygqdlRI71rvaw85o2_1280.jpg

Very nice! What are you using to de-contrast your images? Lightroom?

In news: I finally suceeded in de-yellowing my Super Takumar 50mm 1.4. This lens is legendary for it's sharpness, and is one of the best "Fast 50's" ever made. Unfortunately, it has a thoriated lens element, and suffers from radioactive decay... meaning the rear element turns yellow after 45 or so years. After numerous attempts to clear it with a UV light, I finally found the right tool for the job & got it completely cleared today. Tests with a grey card confirm that it's back in business. I can't wait to shoot with this bad boy!

And in other news: I shot the #6, 5, 2 and number 1 series of Guitar World girls for 2013!

http://www.guitarworld.com/guitar-world-year-review-top-15-guitar-world-girls-2013#slide-15

That sort of blew my mind!

Congrats Glenn, that's awesome! Only thing I don't like so much about your latest shot is the wall, I think it would look a tad better with a (fully blown-out) white or probably even grey studio background. The wall structure diverts my attention (only a little though :lol: ) and it wouldn't happen with a paper background for example.

Also, really nice pictures and post-processing Joel. Are you using film plugins (which ones?) or creating the look yourself?

Hey Glenn, just a comment from an amateur... On both last photos, face in the shadow. It might be a problem of her pose or of the lighting setup - depending on what you are going for.

Some back/rim lighting would also probably be good. If you don't like overdone rim light, you can you with more subtle bounced one (instead of having a separate light for it).

I got tired of plain paper backdrops & there's shitloads of rim/backlight in those shots. I had almost no keylight at all. I was going for something more interesting with the lighting on this shoot. Shadow creates drama.

Yeah, I shouldn't have tried to tell you what to do, because, as I said, I don't know too much about the topic. Let's just say that I like your framing/composition, but there's something off with lighting for me. Face of the model shouldn't be the poorest lit part if that's not somehow the catch of the photo.

My opinion, obviously...

This is a little more "Traditional" with lighting & backdrop. I've done this style to death... I'm trying to create some depth with shadow in the new stuff. That & the A7 has more than 2 ful stops of dynamic range over the 60d the pixie below was shot with. I've finally got equipment that can handle the subtleties :)

51feb7007ba7e.jpg

Here are some I took while out bush a month or two back.

These buggers are hard to get to cooperate, so you have to snag the photo opportunities when they present themselves. I hope to get some much better pictures of snakes in the coming years.

Very nice! What are you using to de-contrast your images? Lightroom?

Lightroom 4. Absolutely love it.

Also, really nice pictures and post-processing Joel. Are you using film plugins (which ones?) or creating the look yourself?

Often starting with something from VSCO in Lightroom but still going to town tweaking things myself to make it my own.