The photography thread

Some really great photos in here, as usual. Always nice to come here and get some inspiration.

Some new by me:

sofia-01.jpg

8720134058_cefa05e0e1_o.jpg

Just bought me a 50mm 1.4 and I've never had so much fun shooting ordinary stuff before. Awsome lens. The above images are 24-105 f4 L and the images below are 50mm 1.4

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

Photo%202013-05-17%2013%2015%2026.jpg

@Carlsman: Beautiful work!

@Stef, I'm thinking on posting a few raws up on my page for public use... Give me a day or two.

@arvoitus: Did some research, learned that raw frames off the 60d need some sharpening in post. (been reluctant to do this for fear of going way too far) Found a couple of useful tutorials, should produce results in my next post. Thanks for pointing this out for me.

Would love to get .raws from some of you guys, I just got a new PC and screen and
started working with CS6 so it would be cool to play around with photos of someone
else.

Really digging to work with color looks and stuff at the moment, got only photos of my
gf at the moment and a friend of mine, and both don't want them to get posted here...
But I may get the chance to try a friends Mark III with his 2 new lenses and a friend of
him wants to get into modelling, so if that works out, I am gonna post some shots.
Too bad that she already pointed out that we're not allowed to shoot her naked :D
You can download a lot of awesome raw files on the froknowsphoto.com website/forum, the website is a bit slow right now so i can't give you any direct links. Coupe of days ago there was a section called "5 minute portrait" where you could download three portrait shots from a Nikon D4 with a 70-200mm f2.8 and 300mm f2.8. Really awesome quality.

Edit: here it is: http://froknowsphoto.com/tag/edit-this-raw-file/

@arvoitus: Did some research, learned that raw frames off the 60d need some sharpening in post. (been reluctant to do this for fear of going way too far) Found a couple of useful tutorials, should produce results in my next post. Thanks for pointing this out for me.
No problem, good luck on the next shots. I'm looking forward to see more of those calendar pics ;)

So, I got myself a Datacolor Spyder4Pro monitor calibrator... wow, all I can say is, it's a pretty huge difference. It's nice to grade with confidence for a change.

Also, learned "sharpness vs clarity" & how not to overdo it... at least, I freakin' hope so!

Here's the first result.

136-Edit-5-pure-white-more-contrast.jpg

The picture with the girl and the schecter might have to much sharpening. Fine details and small textures like hair and guitar strings start to look weird/square when you overdo sharpening.

The shot with the girl and the microphone is really good. Great lighting, skintone, eye contact and you nailed the clarity/sharpness here. The only thing i don't like (personal taste) are the eyes because they look a bit off, don't really know whats causing it (too much white?).

Thanks for the feedback! I've got several versions of the Schecter shot, so no big deal there. It's a couple of small brush adjustments.

Glad to know I nailed the skin tones & color, though! FWIW, I had both of these test printed on Saturday & they look great on paper. I can finally grade with confidence!

A studio I'm working at at the mo has a 5DII with an L series lens just for taking snaps around the place, no one really knows how to work it properly :err:
Here're a few shots, it's some zoom that only goes to f4 which really sucks for indoors.
bpkit.jpg

bpguitars.jpg

the first guitar from the left is motherfucking ugly!lol From the knobs, pickups, to color! Sorry man but I had to say!lol

And some concert pics i took a month ago:

God, i need a new body with better ISO performance and a decent AF system ... why is all the fun stuff so expensive.

Nah, just grab an old Pre AI Nikon 50mm 1.4, or Super Tak 58 (both easily as good as the best L series glass) and hack with Magic Lantern.. You'll get live view focus peaking.... and be able to keep your ISO down to something reasonable. (which reminds me, I really need to put Magic Lantern back on my 60d.. I need to practice what I preach!)

Nah, just grab an old Pre AI Nikon 50mm 1.4, or Super Tak 58 (both easily as good as the best L series glass) and hack with Magic Lantern.. You'll get live view focus peaking.... and be able to keep your ISO down to something reasonable. (which reminds me, I really need to put Magic Lantern back on my 60d.. I need to practice what I preach!)
I am a Nikon user ;) and i already own a 50MM F1.8 which i use at f2.8 for concerts. I love bokeh but i'm not digging the look of f1.8, too soft ...

My concert settings in that club are normally ISO3200 with f2.8 and a shutter speed around 1/80s or 1/100s ... but i keep struggling with motion blur and/or underexposure.
I'm pretty satisfied with most of my shots ... but i would love to have less noise and higher shutter speeds. I just need two stops more light ...

I am a Nikon user ;) and i already own a 50MM F1.8 which i use at f2.8 for concerts. I love bokeh but i'm not digging the look of f1.8, too soft ...

My concert settings in that club are normally ISO3200 with f2.8 and a shutter speed around 1/80s or 1/100s ... but i keep struggling with motion blur and/or underexposure.
I'm pretty satisfied with most of my shots ... but i would love to have less noise and higher shutter speeds. I just need two stops more light ...

You need a full frame camera. I can shoot at 6400 all day with minimal noise

KlLAQ60.jpg

3200? Really? Wow, i try not to go over 800.... then again, I'm shutter speed 50/60. I just try to time things to minimize motion blur.

3200 is not at all abnormal for concert photography, especially in small clubs with shitty lighting

You need a full frame camera. I can shoot at 6400 all day with minimal noise

KlLAQ60.jpg

3200 is not at all abnormal for concert photography, especially in small clubs with shitty lighting

my cam only goes up to 1600 :(

it's sick how well noise cancellation works nowadays, a friend of mine sent me some .raws from his
EOS600D at ISO3200 without any editing, there was quite less noise than my 400D has at 800.