The plasticity of black metal

Nile577

Jun 26, 2003
“Thou hast conquered, O pale Galilean; the world has grown grey from thy breath; We have drunken of things Lethean, and fed on the fullness of death."
-Swinburne, ‘Hymn to Proserpine’

Attempts at pagan revivalism are quite common in art. We see one above in the poetry of Swinburne, with the narrator asking Proserpine, following the proclamation of the Christian faith in Rome, to ‘be near (him) now’ while he laments the passing of the ‘Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day!’ We see them in the work of the symbolists, from William Butler Yeats’ immersion in the Cuchulainn cycle of Irish folklore, through to T.S. Eliot’s castigation of the modern ‘waste land’ through the mind of Tiresias and the scaffold of the grail quest. We see them too in black metal music, where Enslaved write of Viking mythology dressed in the trappings of the era, and Burzum extols paganism in a mixture of feral Romanticism and Nationalism. Culture, it is posited, is sick; by returning to pre-Christian, pre-capitalist values we may heal it.

Such things stand and fall by their authenticity.

When authentic, heritage is that which structures culture: the roots of wisdom passed into tradition and in time becoming mythology. When inauthentic, heritage is manufactured, present in things, ideals and places separate from the underlying flavour of thinking that once brought them into being. Inauthentic heritage lines the walls of museums. It fills the pages of our history books. It prances on the fields of battle re-enactments. It echoes from our stereos. Culture is not found in ideologies, in ‘isms,’ in willed codes of behaviour. It is found in the underlying thinking that brings FORTH these things.

Black and death metal are manufactured heritage. They do not approach the mindset of a bygone age but instead seize upon its appearance as a commodity for aesthetic image. The godheads they pay reverence to are false idols, enframed by a modern age as a tool to bring forth ideals. The ‘heritage’ of black and death metal does not structure the world but stands adjacent to McDonalds, another plastic hammer for the hand of an ideology. Ideals are the crust of thought; not the thinking in itself. Any attempt to “fix” culture is merely a propagation of its sickness.

Ildjarn alone presents an authentic way of black metal.

Black and death metal are manufactured heritage. They do not approach the mindset of a bygone age but instead seize upon its appearance as a commodity for aesthetic image. The godheads they pay reverence too are false idols, enframed by a modern age as a tool to bring forth ideals. [...]

I know this may be cutting you short and as such may represent only a misunderstanding on my part, but I must disagree with you for the love of Ulver's album Bergtatt. Then again, in that the album I refer to utilizes scandinavian folklore through an archaic language rather than Pagan ideology (i.e., the reverence of a godhead) in any language, my point may be moot.

Is your point simply that any attempt to revitalize an ancient Paganistic worship is doomed to failure because it cannot be authentic?

What does Ildjarn sing about?

I cannot disagree with the spirit of Nile's post though I'm not sure about the overall conclusion - it sounds too critical. Still, this is why I have always resisted the temptation intellectualize Black and Death Metal at all. There is a tendency to ascribe higher ideals and motivation to certain musical genres(Hip Hop comes to mind as well)that I often find to be lost upon the vast majority of music's creators - even the genuinely innovative. Indeed both Death and Black metal have ALWAYS fallen into what you categorize as inauthentic heritage. I don't know that this is necessarily a bad thing or indeed, if those who have brought forth the music ever claimed otherwise. Well, perhaps some have, as many a young, if naive Scandinavian idealist may have declared here or there.

Either way this is an interesting post. I have to think about this more. My proper "Metal" roots go back to the early 1980's and I have found that I rarely see or hear things quite like anyone else - Black and Death Metal have been no exception.

Culture is not found in ideologies, in ‘isms,’ in willed codes of behaviour. It is found in the underlying thinking that brings FORTH these things.

In my opinion, you're idealizing the way culture works.

First of all, culture is external, not just internal. Traditions and symbols change according to the social and economic reality. Eskimo's don't have many words that signify snow because of their philosophy - that's just a reality of their life. (I'm not sure if that's true, but suppose that for the sake of the argument)

Secondly, culture is not only about high art. The elite does not dictate culture - its origin mostly comes from the common people, spontaneously. They are not concerned with metaphysics.

Also, what is it exactly that supposedly brings forth those elements of culture? It is, by your definition, inherently inexpressible

“Thou hast conquered, O pale Galilean; the world has grown grey from thy breath; We have drunken of things Lethean, and fed on the fullness of death."
-Swinburne, ‘Hymn to Proserpine’

Attempts at pagan revivalism are quite common in art. We see one above in the poetry of Swinburne, with the narrator asking Proserpine, following the proclamation of the Christian faith in Rome, to ‘be near (him) now’ while he laments the passing of the ‘Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day!’ We see them in the work of the symbolists, from William Butler Yeats’ immersion in the Cuchulainn cycle of Irish folklore, through to T.S. Eliot’s castigation of the modern ‘waste land’ through the mind of Tiresias and the scaffold of the grail quest. We see them too in black metal music, where Enslaved write of Viking mythology dressed in the trappings of the era, and Burzum extols paganism in a mixture of feral Romanticism and Nationalism. Culture, it is posited, is sick; by returning to pre-Christian, pre-capitalist values we may heal it.

Such things stand and fall by their authenticity.

When authentic, heritage is that which structures culture: the roots of wisdom passed into tradition and in time becoming mythology. When inauthentic, heritage is manufactured, present in things, ideals and places separate from the underlying flavour of thinking that once brought them into being. Inauthentic heritage lines the walls of museums. It fills the pages of our history books. It prances on the fields of battle re-enactments. It echoes from our stereos. Culture is not found in ideologies, in ‘isms,’ in willed codes of behaviour. It is found in the underlying thinking that brings FORTH these things.

Black and death metal are manufactured heritage. They do not approach the mindset of a bygone age but instead seize upon its appearance as a commodity for aesthetic image. The godheads they pay reverence too are false idols, enframed by a modern age as a tool to bring forth ideals. The ‘heritage’ of black and death metal does not structure the world but stands adjacent to McDonalds, another plastic hammer for the hand of an ideology. Ideals are the crust of thought; not the thinking in itself. Any attempt to “fix” culture is merely a propagation of its sickness.

I tend to totally agree with you, but I am not a black metal fan. This goes too with all reconstructions of history and culture. Once a culture is no longer living, or passed down living, it sort of dies totally, and any attempts to bring it back are artificial. Same with historical buildings, etc. "Updating" them, diminishes and demeans them; perhaps such things are best left to decay gracefully or provide inpsiration.

I think this plasticity of metal is the major reason why black metal was truly one of the first genres of metal I totally stopped listening to apart from the occassional spin of Drudkh, and even old catchy and simplistic Samael (so beloved of Seditious). I just found this whole evocation of "pagan" norse culture, to be quite lame. In terms of lameness, its on par with Power and Prog Metal if you ask me.

I really do not see what is so lame about taking something from the past which one sees as valuable and inspirational and incorporating it into their music. Also, I find it strange that one could just dismiss death metal entirely as "manufactured heritage" as if death metal is defined by the atavistic tendencies being discussed in this thread.

I tend to totally agree with you, but I am not a black metal fan. This goes too with all reconstructions of history and culture. Once a culture is no longer living, or passed down living, it sort of dies totally, and any attempts to bring it back are artificial. Same with historical buildings, etc. "Updating" them, diminishes and demeans them; perhaps such things are best left to decay gracefully or provide inpsiration.

I think this plasticity of metal is the major reason why black metal was truly one of the first genres of metal I totally stopped listening to apart from the occassional spin of Drudkh, and even old catchy and simplistic Samael (so beloved of Seditious). I just found this whole evocation of "pagan" norse culture, to be quite lame. In terms of lameness, its on par with Power and Prog Metal if you ask me.

I must disagree strongly. Whether 100% "authentic" or not, BM ans DM's respective rejection of modern culture(S) was/is as big a part of their collective message(insofar as there ever was a coherent one) as genuinely embracing bygone culture(s)ever was. More I would assert!

Like Cythraul, I do not see what specifically is so lame about revisiting the "old ways" or incorporating this into one's art. I would agree that trying to replicate the past in its entirety as an artistic statement or some such would be less than inspiring from a creative angle. But is this really the case for most BM, etc?
I just don't see what is so negative about building upon the past. I suppose is it isn't revolutionary or visionary...but many wonderful things aren't either.
Too romantic for my own good again...

Once a culture is no longer living, or passed down living, it sort of dies totally, and any attempts to bring it back are artificial.

Uhm... why would it be anymore artificial than the original culture? Heritage is something quite naturally important to humans, so I see nothing unnatural in attempting to revive ancient tradition, or at least remember & honor it.

Let's not forget that a great number of black metal bands make no pretentions of being about heritage. The much maligned US scene is largely a reflection of the artists isolation and alienation from their culture. Black metal is an appropriate musical vehicle for these types of expression. Thus, these bands give a perfectly valid and real artistic expression of their relationship to their culture. The good US bands realize they have no relationship to the old ways, so this criticism has no real relevance, if I understand it correctly.

This is just an example. I do hope that people realize there are black metal bands outside of Norway.

i think masteroflightning was thinking about bands like leviathan, xasthur, nachtmystium, not absu and averse sefira.

black metal is like mcdonalds? wtf?!? i like mcdonalds but black metal is so fucking far away from it i dont know what your talking abotu. black metal is pure evil and hatred, inversion ov all normal sanfe things to glorify ego and satan.

What pretentious nonsense has been posted in this thread.

I am pleased you think so. Thanks for adding to it.

But I probably was too narrow in my definition. Just sick and tired of NS and/or racist ideologies in black metal. Sadly I also discovered that the guy from Ildjarn has in fact made some very crude statements in his writings.

Also, there is not 'one' culture, but plural, including plurals within what is normally defined as a single culture.

Elsewhere I wrote that revivalism is messianic but, on reflection, that's totally wrong in black metal, which is focussed on the past. Also messianic religion seeks healing, redemption and justice and the remebrance of suffering, which are sacred themes very likey unshared by black metal. I think I was trying to understand everything through Walter Benjamin and particually Arendt's reading of him. Benjamin and Derrida taught me the religious and ethical weight of messianic thinking.

Last edited:
black metal is like mcdonalds? wtf?!? i like mcdonalds but black metal is so fucking far away from it i dont know what your talking abotu. black metal is pure evil and hatred, inversion ov all normal sanfe things to glorify ego and satan.

I believe you're blindly stereotyping the lyrics of black metal.

Take a trip for the music itself