The Porcupine Tree Thread

saut said:
I never knew whether that was Mike or not either in the title track. I really don't think it is, though. The accent just isn't right. Anyway, is it just me, or is Mike barely audible if at all on the backing vocals? I even made it a point to listen for him carefully, but I really can't pick his voice out. Am I deaf?

i'm not sure about all the spots where mike is, but it's VERY audible in 'Arriving Somewhere...'

after the line "Never trust the sound of rain upon a river rushing through your ears."...the whole 'ahhh, ahh ahhh ahhhhh' thing? that's mike haha.

k i cant be fucked reading this whole thread so this might have been mentioned already.
now dont get me wrong i reckon deadwing is a sweet album and the title track is awesome BUT both the solo's of deadwing (the song) especially the second one are sooooo shit. they let the song down so much imo.
any one see where im coming from?

apart from that deadwing is sweet especially open car, lazarus, halo, arriving..., shallow (yes i like it), mellotron scratch... oh fuck it they're all awesome except glass arm shattering.

Just another little point - does anyone else think the riff in open car sounds like rage against the machine?

Psycroptipath said:
k i cant be fucked reading this whole thread so this might have been mentioned already.
now dont get me wrong i reckon deadwing is a sweet album and the title track is awesome BUT both the solo's of deadwing (the song) especially the second one are sooooo shit. they let the song down so much imo.
any one see where im coming from?

apart from that deadwing is sweet especially open car, lazarus, halo, arriving..., shallow (yes i like it), mellotron scratch... oh fuck it they're all awesome except glass arm shattering.

Just another little point - does anyone else think the riff in open car sounds like rage against the machine?

Glass Arm Shattering rules!

News Time.

"The 5.1 surround sound mix of the new Porcupine Tree album is now available as a DVDA. It has once again been mixed in collaboration with Grammy award winning producer / engineer Elliot Scheiner, and contains a high resolution audio surround version for playing on dedicated DVD-A players, a standard resolution surround version which can be played on any DVD player equipped with surround speakers, and the original stereo mix. The disc also includes a wealth of bonus features, including three additional tracks from the album sessions; Mother And Child Divided (instrumental), Revenant (instrumental) and Half Light, a short film on the making of the album, and photo galleries."
www.porcupinetree.com

....come again? Mother and child divided - instrumental? Didn't Mike say he did some growls on that song?

Saber Rider said:
News Time.

"The 5.1 surround sound mix of the new Porcupine Tree album is now available as a DVDA. It has once again been mixed in collaboration with Grammy award winning producer / engineer Elliot Scheiner, and contains a high resolution audio surround version for playing on dedicated DVD-A players, a standard resolution surround version which can be played on any DVD player equipped with surround speakers, and the original stereo mix. The disc also includes a wealth of bonus features, including three additional tracks from the album sessions; Mother And Child Divided (instrumental), Revenant (instrumental) and Half Light, a short film on the making of the album, and photo galleries."
www.porcupinetree.com

....come again? Mother and child divided - instrumental? Didn't Mike say he did some growls on that song?

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3629816&postcount=5

Maybe there are just some death screams but no lyrics? hmm. :err:

I still haven't heard the remake of Shesmovedon (it is not on the European version).

Just "acquired" a sealed promo copy of the CD, so now own the track, but am not prepared to break the seal. Does anyone have a copy of it that could be e-mailed to me, please?

Deadwing is a masterpiece! :headbang:

Three best songs are Arriving Somewhere (too many great parts to even name - cool track just to chill out to because of its length), Start of Something Beautiful (4:44 - 6:35 is totaly perfection!!! How anyone can dislike a moment like that is beyond me) and Mellotron Scratch (like many have stated I see, YES the last 2 minutes or so of this song are totally incredible!)

IA is a fantastic album, but honestly, yeah, I think I definitely prefer Deadwing - I can listen to this album everyday and just not get tired of it. Some of the melodies here are incredibly strong. One of my favourite albums of all-time!

Man, I'd KILL to hear the 5.1 mix! It's just too expensive for me i guess....

Description
Porcupine Tree -- Jetlag Eyes
Friday May 13, 2005
930 Club, Washington DC
Opening Night of US tour
No Opening Act
Taper MBM
Transfer Brucekg
Artwork Project2501

Equipment Used Sony D100DAT; Core Sound High End Binaurals
Lineage DAT==>Soundforge 7.0 (cut bass, boosted mid range, raised left
channel, re sampled to 44.1)==>CDWAV==>FLAC

Set List

Disc 1
Intro
Deadwing
The Sound of Muzak
Lazarus
Halo
A Smart Kid
Hatesong
Arriving Somewhere, but Not Here
Fadeaway (John Wesley -- Vocals)
Shallow

Disc 2
Mellotron Scratch
Blackest Eyes
(encore)
She's Moved On
Trains

Opening night of the US tour, and PT even though they admitted they were jetlagged put on a fantastic show. Setlist basically is the same as the European tour, with two exceptions. The US single, "Shallow" and "Mellotron Scratch" were added to the setlist and two songs (they varied from night to night) were replaced.

Fingerprints included

Enjoy
So, enjoy!

bangadrian said:
i like deadwing a lot, but in absentia kills it. the songwriting is way better, stronger melodies, hooks, etc

No way man, I wouldn't say In Absentia kills it. Now if you simply stated it is better, I'd go with that, but in no way does IA kill it.

I personally like Deadwing better, but it's close anyway. Thing about deadwing is, that it doesn't really have one track that stands out as being shitty, like songs such as The creator... off of IA.

I'm really surprised with some of the comments here, as Deadwing is so comparable to that of Opeth sometimes. Songs like Arriving Somewhere is the prime example of that.

I ordered the Deadwing Special Edition, and after waiting and waiting I finally decided to check that the order went through... it didn't, no idea why, but now it's too late to get a copy. Fucking internet.

Well the special edn is a fucking mess I still havent got mine although, i have been promised three times that it was being shipped.

Assholes, I wish id just downloaded the fucking album a month ago.