The Porcupine Tree Thread

Mac Attack said:
How did you do that? I've been trying with no success.

Newsgroups are a wonderful resource for many things. That's all I'll say.

Also, someone should FED-ex me their $200 headphones so I can see what I'm missing. I'm sure that if I could experience first hand the awesomeness I might be a bit less reluctant to drop such a hefty sum on them.

@saut: Just go to a store where they let you sample some headphones. There's a local one near my uni and they have a bunch of high-quality studio cans out for your hearing pleasure, with the option of bringing some CDs in. Just take in Still Life or something and start to understand how much more it can kick your ass on better gear.

@R0l0: 'Studio' or 'stereo monitor' headphones are pretty much designed to give you a flat response over the frequency spectrum. They're designed for you to be able to objectively hear a piece of music, or a sound (depends what you're doin with em) by giving you a sound that sounds the most true to the signal they are receiving, instead of colouring them with their own sound as most headphones tend to. Best example is how all those low-end pieces of crap are like 'oh yeah man, turbo-bass ultimate reflex system, buy me now'. The monitor cans don't pump bass or anything else... they just give you a representation of the signal that's hitting them. Not sure how well they work in terms of actually enjoying music, but I'm thinking they can't be too bad. I need to get myself a pair because I have to mix on a shitty Tascam DM system at uni.

I guess my Ipod headphoes don't make the grade haha.

Personally I enjoy putting on a cd and lying on my bed listening to it rather loudly, how i got to love Still Life and In absentia (although a really hate wedding nails right now). Headphones are good when i want to dissapear.

hehe, ipod headphones are alright when you're travelling or something. I presume that's what most folks use the thing for anyway... listening on the move (and propagating piracy). When you're at home though, you want some aural lovin'.

I am intersted in an "In Absentia" shirt any place where I can get one. I have been to the PT site but they don't seem to carry any shirts. I am going to the concert in a month so maybe there. Do you think they will have an Absentia shirt?

cool interview....and yes he did metntion OPETH in that interview....so he gets a gold star from me.....WOOOHOOO,....!!!!.......i actualyl lirk "a smart kid.......after hearing windpwpane's cover I was hooked on teh song,.....and d/led it...ti rocks hard man....verynice lil tune.........so yeah PT def. rocks in my book.....PEAC EOUT

45_1_b.JPG