The Porcupine Tree Thread

Saw Porcupine Tree live last week, together with Anathema.

It was a nice show, nice and long setlist, although i hadn't heard Deadwing before most of the songs were damn nice. Anathema even played a new one, as they are on no label yet, that one ruled too.. :)

Mezarkabul said:

From the same website, an interview w/ Mike about the "Lamentations" DVD:

Sea of Tranquility.org said:
SoT : As I recall, you once said live albums are shit because most of it isn’t done live, most of it is done in the studio. [Nods] So the obvious question – what about yours?

MÅ : Oh – it’s mostly live! The only thing we re-did was the parts that had to be redone. One song the guitar was out of tune, so I had to redo that, and one song – after half the song the guitar dropped out of the recording, so we had to play that again, and I re-did some vocal lines where I was singing out of tune. But the drums and bass are all 100% from the show, and almost all of the guitar is from the actual show. So there are still many mistakes in there!

SoT : Which makes it more personal, doesn’t it?

MÅ : Yeah! We wanted to leave them there. If you wanted it to be perfect you could go buy the album. There are parts that aren’t good or anything, but you know it’s ‘charming’. It’s definitely a live album, and if you listen to other ‘live’ albums, ours is really a live recording, and you can hear that on the difficult parts.

hmmm, interesting.

Also, expensive headphones.

I think "In Absentia" is a better album, personally. "Deadwing" is good, though. I need to listen to it more.

I like "Halo" the best. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it o_O

And on the headphones issue... I've bought a bunch of different types of headphones, 40$, 80$, I think one pair was 100$...but I still swear by my basic 10$ Sony Stereo headphones. Use 'em a few months and replace. They sound a hell of a lot better than what I've ever used.

Plus a lot of those nice headphones are really bulky with the big earmuff style and I wear glasses so they are very uncomfortable.

i love this forum.

theres several groups....

group A: Die hard opeth fans, who listen to very little except opeth...and maybe dimmu borgir or some nonsense.

group B: Die hard opeth fans, who listen to some other stuff...but rarely mention anything except opeth...to the point of making threads about what equipment was used on still life (in hopes to recreate that album?).

group C: Opeth fans who love porcupine tree as well....they talk about both bands equally and unbiasedly.

group D: Militant Opeth fans who proceed to bash porcupine tree as much as possible, and make it quite obvious and visible.

group E: Militant Porcupine tree fans, who either do or dont like opeth...but will bash anyones head in who says anything negative about PT.