The Probably Stoppable MMA Thread

Cool. Didn't realize this thread existed. So, any predictions on UFC 103? Is that what we're up to now? Ha ha. Personally, I hope Machida wins. What a great asset to MMA. I'd like to see Ben win against Cain, but I don't know.

I'm pissed now, I had a big long paragraph typed out about my prediction for Shogun/Machida and accidentally closed the tab before I submitted it.

Basic synopsis: After a feeling out process in the first round (no one can be too careful with Machida nowadays) Shogun comes out aggressive in the 2nd, Machida weathers the early storm with effective countering and evasion and by the 4th round Shogun is completely gassed and Machida wins by TKO.

I like Machida, he represents the sport well and will be a tough champion to defeat. I also like Shogun because he's aggressive and ruthless (or at least used to be) and always brings the highlights. I don't want to make a personal prediction because I like them both and it doesn't matter to me who wins. But from a strictly analytical view, I don't see how Shogun has anything to bring to the table that Machida hasn't already successfully dealt with in his past fights.

I don't care enough about the rest of the fighters to make predictions, but I will say that Yoshiyuki Yoshida will most likely spend the remainder of the night after his fight with Anthony Johnson in considerable pain with cobwebs in his head. Johnson is a straight KILLER. I always, always, always enjoy watching his fights. This one has KO written allllll over it.

man i've become addicted to watching this on spike when its on haha. I wouldn't ever pay to watch it but it's definitely interesting, especially since I've been training in kung fu, some boxing and a sort of really easy version of taekwon do. I couldn't imagine these people actually competing though, it must take so much training and dedication to be able to not only become that good, but to also be able to take so many beatings just getting there and fighting. talk about brains scrambled haha!

It definitely takes a very strong person both physically and mentally to endure this shit. I've been watching UFC since its inception. I remember very clearly the UFC where Keith Hackney (right?) fought that Yarbrough (big black sumo wrestler guy, is that his name?) guy and broke his hand beating the living snot out of Yarbrough's head. No weight classes. Just all-out brutality. I really like the direction that UFC has gone with weight classes and really making it out to be a legit sport and not just a slug fest. I am highly anticipating UFC 103.

That's not just the UFC that's implemented those changes. MMA is a regulated sport in America now, ran by each state's athletic commission. I agree though, I like it with rules and scoring in place. It definitely makes it more of a "sport" than a street fight. The best part is that the rules are so minimal and are only there for the protection of the fighters, so essentially it still is a street fight, but in the best interest of protecting the fighters. There are lots of other fight organizations around in the US and they all must follow the same rules that the other orgs do. One day it'd be rad to see MMA (or even just Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) in the Olympics. The steps they're taking now are definitely in the right direction for that to happen.

Here's my most fond memory of Keith Hackney:

hackneyjoeson.gif

Lol. I remember that shit. That's hilarious. That would be sweet to see it reach Olympic status. I may have missed it, but what are your thoughts on the Carwin/Lesnar championship bout for 106 I believe? They're both big ass dudes with lots of wrestling experience, but my prediction is that Brock will endure and overcome Carwin. His outstanding wrestling background combined with his sheer power and speed may be too much for Carwin to handle.

I pretty much agree about Lesnar/Carwin. I hate Lesnar but I honestly don't see anybody beating him until he gets older and loses some of his explosiveness. If there's anyone out there up to the task of defeating him though, it's Carwin. Although, I don't give him much more than a puncher's chance. The only way Carwin could strategically beat him is to nullify Lesnar's takedowns and wrestling top game and I just don't see that happening. I don't think there's anyone in the world that Lesnar can't take down and get on top of.

I'm going with Lesnar by TKO from heavy ground and pound in the 2nd round. However, I WANT nothing more than for Carwin to KO Lesnar standing 20 seconds into the fight.

Maybe not necessarily "ground game" but he has one hell of a wrestling background. Not to mention, the guy is like a sponge and is training like a mofo. Doesn't excuse the fact that he's a complete ass though.

the Lesnar/Carwin fight is something Im really looking forward to. massive bastards beating the snot out of each other!

MMA in the Olympics? That would be amazing, and get tons of viewers.

well Lesnar is a big dumb farm boy from minnesota, and i think a lot of his jackassness is really from his stint in WWF, where he was expected to put on a spectacle, and when the boos come in, he just reverts back to that fuck the crowd/villain persona and gets carried away. but as much as people hate him, they cant take away the fact that he beat his way to the top of all the best heavyweights.

I think Lesnar is a pretty nice guy who makes himself seem like a jerk through his own stupidity.

Yep. If you read about him outside the "ring" he tries to avoid the media as much as possible and is actually quite a decent guy. He just needs to realize that this isn't WWE. He needs to represent himself positively as long as he holds that belt and remain humble like GSP (who is one amazing sunnuvvabitch!).

Hahahahahahaha.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8296190.stm

"You know it cannot have been a good night when you get into a fight with Spider-Man and two cross-dressing men."

:lol: Fucking neds. Love how the shirtless one tried to get up and promptly KO'd a second time.

Oh and I pretty much agree re: Lesnar. No way could I deny his power and training but I'd be glad to see him beaten.

lol video rules! Dude started shit with, and got his ass kicked by two men dressed like women AND ends up getting in trouble for it. EPIC!