The Probably Stoppable MMA Thread

mma_e_rogers_ko_576.jpg

fedor_ko_arlovski.jpg

Baddest man on the planet.

had my first day of muay thai sparring today and damn it was awesome! I sparred against a 16 year old hella scrawny kid and even though we were supposed to go light (first day and we were just starting) I let him just go full out on me and damn the kid is fast (but even with his strongest punches I could take them and not have a problem and once he goes hook crazy he opens up his face). It was legit when I was sparring with the sensei (would you call it that?) and i did a stupid move so he went in for a takedown, but i resisted and he ended up basically throwing me against a wall (I think; I was being spun and moving pretty damn fast) but I was fine haha. He says we're going to spar again next week maybe and I can't wait, i'm bruised and only slept 2 hours but I feel better than I have in months!

had my first day of muay thai sparring today and damn it was awesome! I sparred against a 16 year old hella scrawny kid and even though we were supposed to go light (first day and we were just starting) I let him just go full out on me and damn the kid is fast (but even with his strongest punches I could take them and not have a problem and once he goes hook crazy he opens up his face). It was legit when I was sparring with the sensei (would you call it that?) and i did a stupid move so he went in for a takedown, but i resisted and he ended up basically throwing me against a wall (I think; I was being spun and moving pretty damn fast) but I was fine haha. He says we're going to spar again next week maybe and I can't wait, i'm bruised and only slept 2 hours but I feel better than I have in months!
Did you get taken down from a Muay Thai clinch?? Or is this Muay Thai training, mixed with mma /wrestling take downs??

Also, did the scrawny kid throw elbows in the mix, too? :lol:

Did you get taken down from a Muay Thai clinch?? Or is this Muay Thai training, mixed with mma /wrestling take downs??

Also, did the scrawny kid throw elbows in the mix, too? :lol:

honestly I had headgear on and he caught me so off guard I wasn't sure what exactly what was going on, I think it was where you try and use your leg to knock out the knee and drop them down but I don't know how or what I did to turn it into me getting slammed into a wall haha, it's all a blur of awesome.

nah we weren't allowed to use elbows but he was throwing uppercuts, hooks, crosses, he didn't even have his hands up for the most part, he was just throwing them rapid fire so it was hard to do anything back :lol:

honestly I had headgear on and he caught me so off guard I wasn't sure what exactly what was going on, I think it was where you try and use your leg to knock out the knee and drop them down but I don't know how or what I did to turn it into me getting slammed into a wall haha, it's all a blur of awesome.

nah we weren't allowed to use elbows but he was throwing uppercuts, hooks, crosses, he didn't even have his hands up for the most part, he was just throwing them rapid fire so it was hard to do anything back :lol:
Yeah, I guess it's a little hard to picture unless you see it. Sounds as though you maybe got taken down from a rear inside leg attack? Where your rear leg is planted sold, your other leg is slightly raised (maybe to leg check) and your opponent kicks your rear planted leg from the inside at the knee, to take it out?? Dunno..

Well, least you're enjoying it anyway.

Yeah, I guess it's a little hard to picture unless you see it. Sounds as though you maybe got taken down from a rear inside leg attack? Where your rear leg is planted sold, your other leg is slightly raised (maybe to leg check) and your opponent kicks your rear planted leg from the inside at the knee, to take it out?? Dunno..

Well, least you're enjoying it anyway.

yeah probably something like that and it is definitely fun, also when you spar you really see all your faults so it makes training and working the next time a lot more effective with stuff to actually work on that you know you need to improve on. I'm definitely pumped for next class (next week I think)

Predictions:

UFC 107:
-UFC 107:
-B.J. Penn (14-5-1) vs. Diego Sanchez (21-2)
I'm only picking BJ because every time I've picked against him, he's proven me wrong. I think Diego can definitely win this fight if he does it early. I'm not sure Penn has the chin that Clay Guida has, and Diego MAULED Guida right out of the gate in their fight. I'm not sure BJ could survive an onslaught like that. If Diego comes out bangin' like that, he's got a chance. Also, I think Sanchez' ground game is highly underrated. He's competed in submission wrestling tournaments with the best BJJ players in the world and fared well for himself. If he can keep BJ on his back and stay on top of him, he could grind out a decision. If BJ gets on Sanchez' back, well then... we all know what happens next. Officially I say BJ by tko ground and pound in the 3rd.

-Frank Mir (12-4) vs. Cheick Kongo (14-5-1)
I hope Kongo knocks Mir out. Big time. But Mir isn't stupid and he knows Kongo has fuck all for a ground game, so I predict Mir taking this one to the mat instantly and pulling out some sort of entry level submission that Kongo's only defense for will be tapping out. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Mir by Triangle in the 1st.

-Kenny Florian (11-4; #6 Lightweight) vs. Clay Guida (25-10)
Florian is an intelligent, game-planning fighter with extremely well rounded skills. Guida is a relentless and aggressive wrestler who always comes to fight and NEVER EVER STOPS. Florian wins standing, Guida wins if he gets it to the ground and stays on top. I think Kenflo (gayest nickname ever) will be able to stay out of trouble with, but not finish the iron-chinned Guida. Florian by split decision.

-Jon Fitch (19-3) vs. Mike Pierce (10-1)
Don't know much about Pierce so I gotta go with Fitch by default.

-Paul Buentello (27-10) vs. Stefan Struve (18-3)
Buentello is old. Struve is a praying mantis with lethal stand up skills. Struve will pick apart the older, slower Buentello and win by (T)KO in the 2nd.

-Wilson Gouveia (18-6) vs. Alan Belcher (14-6)
Belcher has looked good recently while Gouveia has not. I think Belcher has what it takes to get into contention and a win tonight will put him up there in the mix, I believe. Belcher by (T)KO, referee stoppage. 3rd.

-Shane Nelson (12-4) vs. Matt Wiman (10-5)

-Johny Hendricks (6-0) vs. Ricardo Funch (7-0)

-Rousimar Palhares (9-2) vs. Lucio Linhares (13-4)
Epic BJJ for the win.

-DaMarques Johnson (12-7) vs. Edgar Garcia (7-1)
-Kevin Burns (10-3) vs. T.J. Grant (14-3)

anyone watch this? I only heard about it.
Go Mir. Love that dude
Wish Clay would have won.
I watched it online, it was one of the best UFC's I seen in ages!!

Diego YES! Sanchez was no match for BJ Penn and seemed way out of BJ's league, he just got made to look stupid. BJ avoided all of Diego's take downs, which just frustrated Sanchez all 5 rounds. BJ even sat Diego on his ass a few times from punches. But I'm happy BJ won, I got sick of reading and hearing how Diego thinks he's so fucking bullet proof.

This is what ended the fight in the 5th round, the cut was too bad:
diego.gif

Diego's face after it was stopped:
UFC-107-Diego-Sanchez-cut.jpg

And Diego's face during his interview:
diego-sanchez-cut-up.jpg

Kongo got choked the fuck out, and was OUT COLD 1.12 into the first round by guillotine... I'm sure that shut a lot of Mir haters up.

And yeah, I wanted Clay to win too. I was very impressed with his last fight with Sanchez. Florian dropped him in the 2nd with a jab clean on the chin, and finished him off with a rear naked choke.

The Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve fight was awesome too! Struve came at Buentello in the 2nd round with a flying knee, and Buentello knocks him flat while Struve was still in mid air... It was funny as fuck! :lol: They also had a really good punch exchange in the 2nd, with multi lefts and rights all landing and when it stopped, they both smiled at each other :lol:

And the punch just before Kongo got choked out
mq5npjpg.gif

Pretty cool. I really like how well it transitions into a takedown. This is basically the same thing that Fedor used to KO Rogers. You can tell in the gifs of that fight that Fedor was going to shoot for a double leg after the punch, but Rogers went down on his own instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, they might as well cut Kongo and be done with it. That dude will never ever contend until he learns even the tiniest shred of submission defense.

Also, they might as well cut Kongo and be done with it. That dude will never ever contend until he learns even the tiniest shred of submission defense.
I agree, and Dana doesn't give fighters many chances after a few loses, esp if such fighters are usually getting paid too well. You never know, he might end up at Strikeforce like a lot of them :lol:

I remember UFC 99 when Kongo fought Cain Velasquez. Kongo kept giving his back to Cain, and was almost rear naked choked at least 5 times in the first round from not knowing what to do. His take down defense isn't great either.

The video you posted, I remember watching a video with another known fighter who talks about how effective that punch is in great detail, but I can't remember where I seen it now... Oh well, doesn't matter.