The Randy Staub love thread

I'm not a pro but I agree that bass is fundamental for a great guitar sound; but, talking about The Black Album... the bass volume is really far lower than guitars. So I think the great guitar sound in the Black Album, come more than nothing by the great production and layers of guitars recorded and how they were put together, panned and some effects used.

In the Black Album bass is not that low...but we can say it's in the middle way between old school productions and modern production....
In that album the deep in the mix was done by the drums and the awesome ambience, but bass was fundamental too

By the way, since Randy doesn't master his work (for instance Ted Jensen does Nickelback), what would really be the point in compressing the master so hard? Also considering, for instance on the last Nickelback album, there were 3 or 4 different mixers (including CLA on one song) and the whole thing is produced by Mutt Lange, and they all sound pretty much consistent, would that mean they all do that? Mmmm, the mystery thickens (and not "chickens")...

By the way, since Randy doesn't master his work (for instance Ted Jensen does Nickelback), what would really be the point in compressing the master so hard? Also considering, for instance on the last Nickelback album, there were 3 or 4 different mixers (including CLA on one song) and the whole thing is produced by Mutt Lange, and they all sound pretty much consistent, would that mean they all do that? Mmmm, the mystery thickens (and not "chickens")...

My understanding is that he does it to limit how much the overall balance will change after the massive amount of clipping/limiting to get the track up to "radio volume".

As far as the similarities between all the mixes, I put that down to good mastering and extremely similar tracking on each song. I will say though that Randy's songs do have something "better" to them then the CLA or Moey Tracks.

Mike did "If Today Was Your Last Day".
Mixing assistance by Brian Wohlgemuth. Not exactly sure what a mixing assistant does though admittedly.

Mike did "If Today Was Your Last Day".
Mixing assistance by Brian Wohlgemuth. Not exactly sure what a mixing assistant does though admittedly.
Pretty sure that's the term for handling ProTools, routing and shit. At least I believe that's what the guy sitting across from CLA does. You can seem him in a few of the videos by user "clamix" (CLA himself) on YT.