The Randy Staub love thread

Just discovered this thread and I believe the key about the master comp is something you seem to have overlooked: Randy's mixes are AUTOMATED to shit, every single instrument is just crazy, the guitars are moving up and down on each chord, same with the bass. That's a lot of work indeed... Also your compressor HAS to stay in the -10db GR area even at the start of the song, if not you're fucked.
Oh and also, and especially with Randy's work on Nickelback but it's true for everything: the secret to a great guitar sound lies in a great bass sound.

[UEAK]Clowd;9526530 said:
jeez!... are you exaggerating? why would you need to do that?
Just listen to the black album. How can easily hear kick/bass being automated up in the beginning of bars that have new chords or new song sections for example.

I'm really curious how they did that back in the analog days. I guess there would have to be a few people working on the final mixdown in order to get all the automation down correctly.

Just listen to the black album. How can easily hear kick/bass being automated up in the beginning of bars that have new chords or new song sections for example.

I'm really curious how they did that back in the analog days. I guess there would have to be a few people working on the final mixdown in order to get all the automation down correctly.

That record isn't THAT old. They used the automation on the SSL 4000 at Henson Studios.

Yeah I was wondering if that consoles had some way of saving automation. Don't really know a whole lot about automation on analog consoles so I wasn't sure.

Hahah, nice.

I get the feeling that mixing with such huge GR gives you a form of 'natural' automation as well. So what you might perceive as a chord being ducked, is in fact just a drum transient sinking the whole mix down.

It's one of the weirdest things... the last mix I executed with 8dB GR was just totally fluid. It's like this chaotic living thing you're constantly trying to tame. Completely different to mixing with very little to no mix bus compression. You automate everything just to keep it in check, and the compression does the rest.

I tried mixing into masses of gain reduction for this rocky / post-hardcore thing I've been working on. It was a nightmare for me probably due to the fact I was mixing into the Waves SSL bus comp clone, as opposed to an outboard compressor. I heard, I think Ermz saying that you noticed you could push things a lot harder once you started using outboard compressors. If so I need to start saving! As I love this technique and the sound it brings. You can really hear the massive bus comp GR working on this track by The Pretty Reckless (horrible I know), I actually thought it was a Staub mix at first but turns out its Kato Khandwala?

It just suits rocky stuff like this so well, and I can't wait to give it a good crack

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a pro but I agree that bass is fundamental for a great guitar sound; but, talking about The Black Album... the bass volume is really far lower than guitars. So I think the great guitar sound in the Black Album, come more than nothing by the great production and layers of guitars recorded and how they were put together, panned and some effects used.

Hi all.
New guy here. Lurking since 07'.
This thread is great. Thanks to all contributing.
Some pages ago there was some talk about different triggersamples of kick and snare. Can someone explain what these sounds like and how they are used.
Thanks