The real genuine official Woods III discussion thread

It actually gets better as you go, which is insane since it owns at the beginning. But you just feel lost in this awesome story. And I'm glad he hasn't forgotten the acoustic guitars. One of my favourite parts of Pursuit was the acoustic guitars (which were needed for giving it the summer feel), and I was afraid maybe he would just drop them off since its supposed to be a more wintery album, but nope. The clean singing is stronger too in my opinion. This really as fantastic as I expected and its only my first full listen.

^ Yay! I dunno if you wrote your keyboard parts or not, but some of them are absolutely brilliant, especially the Northern Cold part, and in Song of Redemption and End of Tradition. Always welcome piano bits too, who said black metal could only have synth :p.

I really don´t care if it arrives this week or the next. To me, what is extremely important is that I receive it before I go back to Afghanistan i´n february!!!
I´m not sure I´ll be able to bear the irony if not.... I pre-ordered Woods III via the canadian post office in fucking Kandahar, Afghanistan, in january!
I just need time to copy the album onto my laptop before going, in early february, so please save some of the overseas copies for an early shipment!

^ Yay! I dunno if you wrote your keyboard parts or not, but some of them are absolutely brilliant, especially the Northern Cold part, and in Song of Redemption and End of Tradition. Always welcome piano bits too, who said black metal could only have synth :p.

Why yes, of course I write my own parts :) All the synthy strings that run alongside the guitars, and the piano parts scattered throughout. Thank you for the compliment.

^ Sweet! I wasn't sure if David wrote everything or what not. Thats really awesome, they really do add to the music a lot, and the overall feel of the album, glad to here :)

13 months since I pre-ordered Woods 3 and I must say, after hearing the whole thing straight through last night... it was fuckin worth it.
Trillium, December in Windsor, and Deepest Roots/Darkest Blues really blew me away as a first time listen.

Yeah, I had absolutely massive expectations for this album (even before I heard The Northern Cold) and in all, complete honesty, its lived up to those massive expectations. This album is a treat, to put it simply.

Edit: Now that I have the album I'm becoming really ancy to figure out the lyrics. Maybe one of you can help me if you hear it, or David if he sees it, but whats the lyric at the very end of Through Chaos ... I hear "and in the distance, a stranger"... flashed his might or something? Its a freaking epic part of the song, and I wanna figure it out :p

Flashed his lights.

I am pretty sure its that at least. Like on a freeway or something. Reminds me of a song in Woods 1, but cant remember it.

One of my favorite parts of the album is in End Of Tradition, at about 1:45 and goes to about 2:50, starting with with when the vocals are "We came this far...". I really like the guitar line.

Dave put the CD online for people to DL, it was limited to 100 DLs which are now all used up. He received the CDs, but I am not sure if they are sent out yet.

@Zeke

Yeah, thats the song.

Simply incredible album.

Like all Woods records I love that the listenner is permited to ether take everything at face value or look deeper into the lyrics for meaning, stuff that stirs the mind, sparks memories we've all had... Dave is like a master of that.

Everything seems more focussed, which given what Dave posted in the other thread makes perfect sense, they had a clear message to put out, fearless, unrelenting, and really just pure... it's refreshing.

Had the album for 3-4 weeks now, havn't stopped listenning and I've just now started to put my thoughts down, everytime I listen I pick up something new, I think my fav song on the album has changed about 10 times since I started, it always comes back to End Of Tradition though... I'll cut myself off here as if i don't... there's just too many things I can say about it, too many layers to pull back... yeah Dave you completely outdid yourself this time.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the whole album yet but the intro to 'Mistakes Artists Make (The Dream is Dead)' is brilliant. I have 4 hours of trains ahead of me now so will get a few listens of whole thing in I think. ;>

I had my first listen to the whole album last night. I laid in bed just absorbing the music and powerful and crushing lyrics as much as possible (I was surprised there wasn't a catharsis, though it helped in the doom/depressive overtone of the album.)

I have to say that not only will this be my favorite album of 2008, but it's my favorite album of all time (so far). I love it for so many reasons, a few of them being the powerful, introverted but familiar lyrics, the vocals (both clean and growling), the genre-busting variations from what seems to be black/blackened death to ambient to folk with superb melodic hooks that could catch anyone with no more than a few seconds of listening, and the instrumentation in general.

To be honest, I thought the CD's greatness may have been a bit over exaggerated, until I fully listened to it. Anyone who says this is one of the greatest albums ever released is completely justified in saying so.

With all that being said, I'd like to extend a thanks to everyone in Woods of Ypres. I'd like to extend a special thanks to Dave for being persistent and completing this. I could only imagine how much stress you've all gone through in creating this, making sure it was perfect. I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say we're very appreciative of your work.

This is a great way to start 2008, with a fresh outlook on life through the perspective and influence of Woods of Ypres. Here's to the band, :kickass:. May there be many more years of music and releases!

Still being blown away when I listen to the album...

The first part that really gets me every time is when the bottom drops out of "Distractions of Living Alone", the "And so, as I go, I’ll leave my body for you…" section-- from that point on, the album jumps up to another level and keeps slowly rising until the calming crescendo during "Mistakes Artists Make"-- the "To live is to light a torch and carry it as far as you can go,
Before the winds blow so hard, the flame goes out" part...

Wow-- still can't quite wrap my head around where/how this fits into my personal favorites of the 3 albums. It's somewhere in the top 3 :lol: