The rip-offs

Tapestry

New Metal Member
Dec 3, 2005
Somewhere in Sweden
I don't know if this has been posted before (I hope not) but I've noticed many rip-offs through my listening of Opeth and I thought that we could try to gather as many as possible...

This is what I've found:
Harlequin Forest (vocals) from Anne-Lie Rydé - Regntunga skyar
My Arms, Your Hearse (the name) from Comus - Drip, drip
The Baying of the Hounds (not sure, but maybe the name) from Comus - Diana
Blackwater Park (the name) from Blackwater Park
Ending Credits (the song, I think) from Camel - ?

I never want to say it's rip-offs, because Opeth always add a personal
touch and they often do it better than the original. Here's some things
I found when I was listening to Led Zeppelin's album "Physical Graffiti".
Damn good album btw.

"In my time of need" (Title) from "In my time of dying"
"Beneath the mire" (Intro drum) from "The rover" (The idea merely)

Benighted Joe said:
I never want to say it's rip-offs, because Opeth always add a personal
touch and they often do it better than the original. Here's some things
I found when I was listening to Led Zeppelin's album "Physical Graffiti".
Damn good album btw.

"In my time of need" (Title) from "In my time of dying"
"Beneath the mire" (Intro drum) from "The rover" (The idea merely)

Maybe it's a harsh word, but My Arms, Your Hearse, Harlequin Forest (intro vocals), Blackwater Park are rip-offs. Listen to Anne-Lie Rydé - Regntunga skyar

#2 If it sounds like tons of Morbid Angel, ain't it being inspired instead of ripping off;p

The name Opeth was taken of a Wilbur Smith's book, in that book appears a city on the moon called Spell Opet, the band just cut the word "Spell" and put an H at the end of Opet...

Mike has said himself that he takes a lot of things from other bands, etc.

Benighted is a lot like Camel's Never Let Go as well, haven't seen that one brought up yet.

BastardSonOfGod said:
The name Opeth was taken of a Wilbur Smith's book, in that book appears a city on the moon called Spell Opet, the band just cut the word "Spell" and put an H at the end of Opet...

Taken from the book, "The Sunbird" by Wilbur Smith, I tried to find it in Smiths in Newcastle station so i could be a proper Opeth nerd and read it on the way to the Leeds gig.

I couldn't find it though so I grabbed Warlock instead, which apparently it is the sequel to.

So far as i know the person who actaully came up with the name is no longer in Opeth. Mikeal, am i correct?

During their gig in Stuttgart (Dec 05) Mike told the audience that the beginning of one of their new songs is ripped off from a famous ABBA-song.
But unfortunately I neither remember the ABBA-song, nor the name of the Opeth-song :erk:
He even played these parts so that we could hear the similarities.... damn but I can't remember :ill: