'Borrowed' album/song titles

Deliverance - Title of a popular film
The Lotus Eater - short story by Somerset Maugham

And of course many titles in reference to months or seasons..

e.g. Forest of October, April Ethereal + Demon of the Fall (even though MAYH goes through the seasons), 'We entered Winter once again' (Leper), Dirge for November

I kinda was referring to this subject on one of the MAYH threads. When is another late 60's early 70's prog/psychedelic band.

HARVEST is an album name from... I think it's a folk metal band, but I don't remember its name.

STILL LIFE is one of Salvador Dally's painting.

MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE : I've seen that written somewhere, but I guess it's some rarely-used expression.

also THE LOTUS EATERs that can been seen in the book "The Odyssey" on one of the two first chapters. Odysseus goes on an island where there are some naked people (lotus eaters) eating drug-fruits.

HARVEST is an album name from... I think it's a folk metal band, but I don't remember its name.

MY ARMS YOUR HEARSE : I've seen that written somewhere, but I guess it's some rarely-used expression.

also THE LOTUS EATERs that can been seen in the book "The Odyssey" on one of the two first chapters. Odysseus goes on an island where there are some naked people (lotus eaters) eating drug-fruits.
I had never thought of Dali's "Still Life". Although I doubt thats the reference, I always thought it was an ode to Van Der Graaff. I've never heard of mayh as an expression, the Comus lyric is the only place I have heard it used.

Blackwater Park is an obscure band that emerged from the Berlin underground scene. They released their unique album "Dirt Box" in 1971, published on BASF in 1972.

Benighted - The main riff motif was stolen from Camel's 'Never Let Go', which was probably Opeth's most blatant thievery, heh, much worse than nicking album/song titles!

Have you listened to them right after each other??? Obviously they're different but damn are they similar!

not a song title,
but i found a possibly borrowed bit of lyric from an unexpected direction,
when i heard this i instantly thought of still day beneath the sun :)
awesome song by the artist "Seal":

Kiss from a rose:
"Now that your rose is in bloom,
A light hits the gloom on the grave."

still day:
There is a light that hits the gloom around
Shows the footprints round this grave
Dried up roses scattered on the mound

light, hits, gloom, rose, grave

Last edited by a moderator:

'Still Life' is the name of an early 70s UK prog rock band; they released one album (self-titled) on the famous (in prog circles, anyway) Vertigo label in the early 70s. It's a good spin actually; the cover art reminds me a little of Orchid. Oh yeah, and I can't remember what song, but one of the lyrics is "Watch it all sink deep down in the mire", so "Beneath the Mire" could be a passing reference to that, though it's not exactly an unheard of term.
As for 'Still Life' being a Dali painting, it's a general term for a TYPE of painting, so the title has been used by thousands of artists the world over.

PS: Oh yeah, and 'Harvest' is also the name of the classic Neil Young album, though that hardly means Opeth's song title is a head nod to that.