Where do the album titles come from?

grey knight

Etheraven
Oct 31, 2007
Siikajoki
I was just wondering, I haven't found ansver to all of them atleast.

-Orchid-

Mike loves flowers?

-Morningrise-

Well I think it's pretty nice name.

-My arms, your hearse-

Story related kind of, My arms = your hearse. :lol:

-Still life-

No idea where this one comes from.

-Blackwater park-

Just named after the longest song?

-Deliverance & Damnation-

Decent names for "twin" albums...?

-Ghost reveries-

I don't think this needs much description.

-Watershed-

I read on dictionary that it's a thing that spreads or shares water, or propably a person which is like doing deals or something (my own theory).
First I thought that it was about sheding water. :lol:

Any better knowledge? If so, then why aren't they on the faq?

I'd prefer to think that all these album titles are inspired by events that have shaped the song writing process... i dont know. i'd like to think that album titles come from staring into space :erk:

I'd prefer to think that all these album titles are inspired by events that have shaped the song writing process... i dont know. i'd like to think that album titles come from staring into space :erk:

Actually all of this is known ...

Orchid and Morningrise: simply titles Mike came up with because they seemed like nice words to him, fitting the vibe of the music.

My arms, your hearse: a line from the Comus song "Drip, Drip" (one of Mike's favourites)

Still Life: also a title from an album he likes (don't remember which one)

Blackwater Park: not completely sure about this one, could just be after the last song

D&D: exactly what you said, nice titles for this twin project

Ghost Reveries: fits the theme of the album (well you know, a general theme, not complete concept)

Watershed: (*sigh* really, look things up! it's all over the place) this is actually a normal english word for a symbolic turning point, so it points at a change in the band and the music, a turning point after which things might change a lot ... and it also sounds nice as an album title ...

I guess it should be in the FAQ since this really is a VERY frequently asked AND ANSWERED question.

Orchid and Morningrise : Have no idea, probally like you said.

My Arms Your Hearse : Black Session might be right on this, but it's also because it's directly refering to the story.

Still Life : I don't think it's refering to a band. I know Salvador Dali made a artwork called Still Life, but there's no link with this. For now, I just think this title represents well the emotions and ambiances in the story.

Deliverance : I don't know why the album is called this way, but I understand why the song is. But I guess all the album has that feeling... of death and everything. And it's a very nice title too.

Damnation : No idea. I don't remember any lyrics talking about a damnation, but maybe there are.

Ghost Reveries : I think we approximatively all know by now.

Watershed : Like Black Session said, it should be written in the F.A.Q. because I never seen that explanation before, but it's good to know.

@Nasty-Fire: I MIGHT be right on that? :p ... I didn't post my opinion on this, it's facts ... And the Still Life title IS referring to that band and album. It might still fit the concept in some way, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it IS referring to it as well.
(and since a still life is a certain genre of paintings, it is a term you find in many sources, yet the album title still is taken from that band)

Deliverance btw has also been mentioned as referring to some obscure 70s band I think.

So these are all references to obscure bands, yet still fit the theme/concept/music. Same with the musical references in many songs, still fits the music, yet are taken from other bands.

Also: it is strange that so many native English speakers have not even heard of the meaning of the word Watershed ... I run across this word in the meaning of turningpoint often.

My Arms,Your Hearse is taken from a Comus song.
Blackwater Park is a band's name.
I think Watershed is the ideal title for this album,according the material stuff.
it means turning point: an important period, time, event, or factor that marks a change or division.
Ghost reveries would be Ghost Letters but it sounded better for them with "reveries".

@Black Session : Sorry didn't really want to say "might". I thought you weren't sure of what you were saying.. because you didn't know the source. But thank you for the infos! And umm, yeah I agree with the "also" part of what you said. Hopefully I'm not a native English so I don't feel bad for it.

Indeed, I've thought before that Opeth's title Still Life might have been inspired by that of Van Der Graaf Generator as possibly as by Still Life's self-titled album. Also, Orchid is a Black Sabbath instrumental and Morningrise a song by English shoegaze group Slowdive.

The theme of a 'Morningrise' is touched upon in the lyrics to Blackrose Immortal (Hours brought thirst/And the rising sun) but chances are that it is so titled because Morningrise is a cool word. Mike admits to being very pretentious in those days...with the lute and all.

Regarding Deliverance and Damnation, it strikes me that Mike might have thought it clever to call the heavy one Deliverance and the soft one Damnation. Cuz, you know...if one had to guess by the album title, Damnation is certainly the heavier word.

The words Still Life also have some bearing on the story told in the album, particularly pertaining to the antiquated, quagmired religious town that the protagonist was expelled from. Seems like nothing moves there; fear of the 'Council of the Cross' keeps the rich wealthy and the poor impoverished.

My Arms, Your Hearse - Self explanatory when one knows the story to the album.

This has been covered many times guys. Most of the time Mike is looking for cool/nice title, simple as that. And, that being said, most of the times he's inspired by the old progrock scene, so many of the titles are homeages. There are also tons of those 'stolen' names in the songtitles and lyrics. It's a cool and nice way to honour the ol' masters.

Still Life is a kind of picture where a moment of life is captured, like the portrait is alive and unchanging. Considering the album is criticizing way of the Christianity, I think he may be referring to how things never change (people's insistent beliefs on fallen ideals and stuff).