The rip-offs

mig said:
During their gig in Stuttgart (Dec 05) Mike told the audience that the beginning of one of their new songs is ripped off from a famous ABBA-song.

Don't believe anything what Mike is telling on gigs. :D

porcupine_wolfff said:
Don't believe anything what Mike is telling on gigs. :D
It really sounded the same. ;) And meanwhile I know that he talks a lot of BS during the gigs :loco:

This is just the most pointless of threads. Any album title, song title, or lyrics that mike stole he pretty much openly admits to, and stuff that is "ripped off" of other bands that is obvious, Mike also admits to. People bring up that camel and morbid angel shit all the time, but it just seems so pointless to me. Every band writes music that is influenced by other music, so I don't know why people make a big deal out of Opeth stuff that sounds like other bands. "its an acoustic parts with a soft lead, must be camel." "oh agressive chords with blast beats, its [insert metal band]" The point of it is that none of those bands made complete songs like Opeth do. Not to say Opeth are better or worse than any of their influences, but that they're different. I just really hate it when people point out sound alikes, when those kinds of things can be done with any band in any genre.

mig said:
During their gig in Stuttgart (Dec 05) Mike told the audience that the beginning of one of their new songs is ripped off from a famous ABBA-song.
But unfortunately I neither remember the ABBA-song, nor the name of the Opeth-song :erk:
He even played these parts so that we could hear the similarities.... damn but I can't remember :ill:

While this may seem odd, or in jest, an older Opeth song is guilty of this...

The Moor (5.02 I think) = ABBA - Lay All Your Love On Me (chorus)

Really, I'm not joking...

And yes, I know I've mentioned this before, but is anyone who's actually looked for the similarity gonna argue with me on this? Mike and Peter are a regular Benny and Bjorn, don't you know...