The song "Seven" and it's meaning

Daniè

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2015
As I've already said in a post before, I'm new to this forum and to forums in general. I have however been a big SX fan since I was like 14. So anyway, I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before...

What really is the subject matter of Seven? Is it perhaps talking about the plagues foretold (according to the the bible) in the book of Revelation? The plagues that come after the seven trumpets are sounded is what I am thinking of. But then again, I'm not sure whose perspective the lyrics are being sung from... So I'm really not sure at all.

Then I thought about how it's 7 minutes long but the EIGHTH track of PL. Some would say that it is technically in fact the SEVENTH track because Oculus Ex Inferni doesn't really count as a track. But here, I would beg to differ. When I hear Oculus Ex Inferni I get images of heavenly war and seeing as how the title seems to mean "The Eye of Hell" in latin, I think it may refer to Lucifer's defeat and exile (hence Set The World On Fire's content where he starts his rebellion), which would totally make it a track and not just a "Prelude" or an "Overture".

So... If it is the eighth track, then maybe the sanctity of the number 3 (title, length, and track number) and the number 7 in Christianity are being perversed on purpose which would lead to believe that it speaks of Lucifer's plagues and treachery and NOT God's/Jesus'...

I've probably thought about this WAY too much lol, but whatever.
What do you think???

I think it's just supposed to be about the seven deadly sins, sung from the perspective of Satan/Lucifer.

I have absolutely no idea what this song is about but it's possibly my favourite Symphony X track.

I've always assumed it's called Seven because it's exactly 7 minutes long and they even play a wild 20 second solo at the end as if it's there just for the purpose of taking the song to that length of time. The guitars are awesome in this track and it will definitely be in my top 10 guitar solos on another thread when I finally make up my mind which other 9 to include.

I've thought about this way too much too but still can't come up with a decent explanation. Sorry...

It's always bugged me that it's not the 7th track on the album but maybe that's because we would guess it was called Seven out of laziness for want of giving it a proper name. It's always the 7th track on the disc when I burn my own compilations for personal use.