The song The Odyssey

BastrdDrmr

Jul 29, 2002
Green Oak, michigan
Visit site
I dunno what it is, but I don't really like this song as much as most of you people do. To me, it's my least favorite song on the album. The only parts that really stand out to me are the intro and the last 4 minutes of the song. I think Divine Wings of Tragedy was a much superior song. I liked how in that song they had that one part that bridged all the parts together and made them seem as one.... the DUH....DUH....DUH.....DUH DUH DUH DUH.....DUH....DUH DUH DUH DUH etc... hehe, hopefully you people know what I mean by that. Also, I think the last couple minutes in Divine Wings really gave Russell Allen the center stage and was just awesome (it could give you goosebumps!), whereas no parts in The Odyssey seem to really jump out at me vocally and no parts are goosebump worthy.

I agree somewhat. I don't dislike the song, it's a good song. But it's not as good as DWoT. Maybe it will grow on me with more listening (like quite a few other SX songs have in the past), but right now the only part of the song that I really get into is the ending part.

Does anybody else think the overture sounds a bit cheesy? It's not that it's poorly written, and it's not that I don't like orchestral music (I listen to lots of classical, especially Romantic era). I think my problem with it is that it sounds so obvious it's done with keyboard patches. It just sounds fake. It's too bad they couldn't afford to use a real orchestra (like Stratovarius did for their upcoming album), that would have really kicked ass.

I thought that when I first listened also. Now I think its awsome. Ive listened to it probably 80 times so maybe thats why. Its def more splintered than DwOt, but great in its own right nonetheless.

Haha, I think I have to listen to this song some more or something. I was just looking on Dream Theater's board and there were some guys there saying that it crushes the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence song. I must be missing something here!!!!

Originally posted by BastrdDrmr
I was just looking on Dream Theater's board and there were some guys there saying that it crushes the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence song. I must be missing something here!!!!

Well that's not too hard... Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance is a disaster... hell... "Sonata" from "Twilight From Olympus" crushes Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance....

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
Well that's not too hard... Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulance is a disaster... hell... "Sonata" from "Twilight From Olympus" crushes Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance....

:lol: I've never liked DT too much, I think they are boring. As for Oddysey, I think its a great song, but not my favorite on "The Oddysey".

Originally posted by The Yngster
:lol: I've never liked DT too much, I think they are boring. As for Oddysey, I think its a great song, but not my favorite on "The Oddysey".

Shaddap :mad: DT iz the biggast shit on tha planet, they are the best band eva and if you don't get them you're an asshole and you need to get your head out of your fucking ass before talking shit about them :mad:

Ok now I was bored and had to do that :p anyway I was kidding so don't get mad at me :s hehe oh and btw The Odyssey is my favorite song from the album and that means ''to each their own'':D

It's my favorite SX track ever...personally I find that if flows alot better than DWOT...the parts are combined alot better...and segue perfectly where as in DWOT there were times were you felt like they are playing a filler riff to join to sections of the song.

plus.....it take a big corn and nut filled shit on 6DOIT :)

I think The Odyssey is a wonderful track. I don't think the orchestra parts are at all cheesy. I crank it to my hearts delight.
I think the entire lp is up there as well, but it really seems to take off after track 3. Track 4 thru the end (including the special edition bonus track) are all top rate.

I also think 6 Degrees of Inner turb is also a wonderful lp from Dream Theater. I love the title track(s) best. The single tunes on the other CD are also very well done and interesting in most respects. The Overture of 6 degrees compared to Odyssey are neck and neck. I love 'em both.

I think Symphx are great and am now a big fan. Keep it up!

Originally posted by cosmic weatherdude
The Flower Kings latest also has a tune entitled "Solitary Shell"...hmmmm.

Yes... but that one isn't a ripoff of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill".

Good album, by the way.... love Daniel Gildenlow's guest vocals on "Fast Lane" and at the climax of "The Devil's Playground"!