The Sports Thread

Mathiäs;6643027 said:
By less supporting cast I mean:

- shit offensive line
- No defense

I.E what the Packers have had to deal with.

Yeah, and Favre, one of, if not THE best QB of all-time had to face the repercussions as well. I'd like to see any QB be highly successful/win games/championships with a shit O-Line and no defense. It;s called a team for a reason. You guys are making no sense.

Brady is no more "clutch" than any other quarterback was my point there, and my overarching thesis is that Brady's success is far more dependent upon his surrounding team than he himself, and that there are many other candidates who could have done what he did. In other words, he shouldn't be regarded as the cream of the crop.

Well, your absolutely entitled to your opinion and it comes off better now that you say it like that. But, alas, only time will tell.

Also, in years prior, ESPECIALLY the first superbowl win...the team wasnt THAT great on paper. Brady stepped in without any experience and look how he handled the pressure/situation. It's pretty plain to see, but w/e.

It's funny...the Patriots really never have looked great on paper in years prior. But they've had the uncanny ability of having EVERY back up player step up and fill in when needed (and the luxury of knowing exactly what the other team is doing :p). Which is why I'm suggesting that it has a lot more to do with the "supporting" cast than it does with Brady. Obviously he's a competent quarterback, and he's certainly within the upper level of today's starting quarterbacks, but the utter fellatio he receives is largely unjustified, and that just gets to me. sry.

OB= Dave O'Brien. He's the Red Sox radio guy. He does some games for ESPN during the season. I can't believe they let him do Red Sox games because he doesn't even make an effort to hide his bias. Rick Sutcliffe is pretty fucking retarded, as well, but he's not nearly as brain dead as Tim McCarver, and at least Sut will broadast drunk. Joe Buck, though... well, he is just unbearable. Especially when he's with McCarver. I hope they choke to death on each others dicks.
Ha! I never listen to Red Sox radio, it sucks terribly and the TV broadcast is so good. McCarver and Buck have to be two of my least favorite announcers ever, along with Joe Morgan. McCarver is senile and makes mistakes all the time and Joe Buck sounds like he believes himself a god. I want me some Peter Gammons instead

Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper (The Giants TV announcers) are extremely awesome.

I hate Joe Buck. I want to put out a cigarette in his chin dimple. That's what it makes me want to do. Fucking ash tray dimple.

Harry Kalas.

/bias

I'm sorry, but I can't fucking listen to Harry Kalas. It's like listening to Eeyore do play-by-play.

I'm not so crazy about Michael Kay (Yankees usualy play-by-play), but I like a lot of the guys who do color commentary. YES doesn't really have a regular pair, but for each series there will be two or three guys with Kay, most of them are pretty good. Al Leiter and John Flaherty, especially. Bobby Murcer, Joe Girardi, Ken Singleton and Paul O'Neill are all ok. They used to have Jim Kaat, and he was hands down the best. I was actually real depressed about it when he retired.

Well obviously I can't appreciate The Remdawg, but he seems like a cool dude if he's on your side. Pretty funny guy. I remember this one game late last year after the Sox were pretty much out of it and he called part of the game as a fan. Like "Come on Trot, let's go. C'mon Trot, baby, just one hit. Let's go baby, get a rally going, Trot."

Brady is unbelievably overrated. He is probably in the top five current QBs, but doesn't even belong in the discussion for best ever. He is a tuck rule and a few kicks away from being the next Jim Kelly. Pretty good, but not elite. People talk about supporting casts, but the only parts that really matter are O-line. Aside from the top 10 or so WR in the league, the talent levels are pretty comparable. Peyton Manning makes mediocre talents like Dallas Clark or Brandon Stokely look like stars. Brady made his mediocre receivers look like mediocre receivers. His success is due to unbelievable pass protection and cheating. Any QB could make the throws he is, because he is never under any pressure.