The Sports Thread

Bigger than CB Park in Philly, I think.

I haven't looked at any hit charts or stats or anything to back it up, but I think the general consensus on Fenway Park is that it is a hitters park, but not a homerun hitters park. Fewer balls fly out of Fenway than you'd expect, but the dimensions allow a ton of base hits, which makes for a lot of extended rallies. Again, though, I don't have anything concrete to back that up.

Bigger than CB Park in Philly, I think.

I haven't looked at any hit charts or stats or anything to back it up, but I think the general consensus on Fenway Park is that it is a hitters park, but not a homerun hitters park. Fewer balls fly out of Fenway than you'd expect, but the dimensions allow a ton of base hits, which makes for a lot of extended rallies. Again, though, I don't have anything concrete to back that up.
From watching the games this sounds corrects. You can get a lot of Fenway doubles off the monster or wierd hits down either baseline. Not to mention the ones that go to the triangle in center

I'm about to head out, but when I get back I'll probably look up the dimensions of all the really small parks and see which one is the smallest, and I'm pretty sure PETCO in San Diego is the biggest.

what? that ballpark is notorious for the homerun. they were talking about how Matt Holiday's numbers were exaggerated, so he might not win MVP. Dont remember who won, wasnt it Rollins?

Yes, Coors is known for homers, but we're talking about how the size of ball parks impacts hitting. Coors is very big but allows a lot of homers due to the thin air.

MVPs haven't been announced yet.

so im bored and i was just thinking.......

steve "franchise" francis - what a joke. he isnt close to being a franchise player. he's just a short fat man who eats fast food all day and gets headaches so he cant play. is there another nickname for any player in any sport thats more unfitting/?

Yes, Coors is known for homers, but we're talking about how the size of ball parks impacts hitting. Coors is very big but allows a lot of homers due to the thin air.

Up until this year it was a launching pad. This year, however, they began storing the balls in some sort of 'humidity room', so the team ERA dropped a ton and there were much fewer homers. I know this because every time the Giants played the Rocks that was the most popular topic of discussion.

Mathiäs;6707441 said:
Up until this year it was a launching pad. This year, however, they began storing the balls in some sort of 'humidity room', so the team ERA dropped a ton and there were much fewer homers. I know this because every time the Giants played the Rocks that was the most popular topic of discussion.

The humidor, yes. As I understand it, it's just like a storage unit that prevents the baseballs from drying out too much.

Coors is still a great hitters' park because of all the room out there for extra base hits.

Wrigley is usually overestimated as a hitters' park. It's 355 and 353 down the lines, which I believe are the longest lines in the majors. I always hate seeing those dinky 320 foot pop-ups go for homers at Fenway and Yankee Stadium. The power alleys are a short 368 at Wrigley though. Then center is a standard 400. People forget that the wind is blowing in well over half the time, and the grass is cut long.

Coors is still a great hitters' park because of all the room out there for extra base hits.

Wrigley is usually overestimated as a hitters' park. It's 355 and 353 down the lines, which I believe are the longest lines in the majors. I always hate seeing those dinky 320 foot pop-ups go for homers at Fenway and Yankee Stadium. The power alleys are a short 368 at Wrigley though. Then center is a standard 400. People forget that the wind is blowing in well over half the time, and the grass is cut long.

You're going to complain about the lines being too short at Yankee Stadium, but your fine with the dimensions at Wrigley...?

Yankee Stadium:

Right- 353
Right Center- 385
Center- 408
Left Center- 399
Left- 379

Wrigley Field:

Right- 353
Right Center- 368
Center- 400
Left Center- 368
Left- 355

I couldn't find how deep the lines are at Wrigley, but the Stadium lines are 314 in right and 318 in left. You seem to imply that the lines at Wrigley are at least 320, though, so I'll just assume that's correct. So, except for the lines and right center, the Stadium is deeper to all fields.