The : "Suggest an Amplifier Head and Cabinet" Thread

Yeah, a lot of people do this X pattern V30 75 combination. I wasn't trying to claim that I created the idea, or that it hasn't been done before. I was just trying to be funny with the "Mesa/Marshall Hybrid" thing. I asked for cab recommendations on another forum. I got a lot of "Mesa" and "Marshall 1960" recommendations, and then a few "V30 75 X pattern" recs, which I thought was funny, since it's basically a mix of the two.

Either way, Dave from Avatar agreed that the X pattern was the best combination for a 5150, or maybe even for death metal in general. Can't remember precisely his words, and not going to check my email at the moment :)

And Actofvengeance, good list indeed, though I'd eliminate Roland, Line 6, Rocktron, Vox and Fender cuz they're not in the same league for hi-gain tones as the others, and I don't know anything about Rivera or Koch, and I've really never heard anything good about Hughes & Kettner heads for hi-gain stuff.
Yea i agree but i said id throw them in for completness.
Different people have different tastes and the roland fender ect is for clean tones i have a roland jc 120 super sweet clean tones:headbang:

This is what we've been using (mostly) for a little while now...

-Rhythm Tracking:
(Heads)
Peavey Triple XXX's and 6505+'s
Marshall JVM 410H

(Cabs)
Mesa Recto 412 w/ V30's
Marshall 1960A w/ 75w G12's

-Lead Tracking:
(Heads)
Madison Divinty
Marshall JVM 410H

(Cabs)
Mesa Recto 412 w/ V30's
Marshall 1960A w/ 75w G12's
Madison MAG412 w/ Symphony's

How are you liking the JVM, Tommy? I've heard pretty good things about it. And what are Symphony's?

The JVM is the only Marshall amp I've ever liked (for Metal) right out of the box. That fucking thing can do ANYTHING. I am usually extremely venomous towards Marshalls, especially DSL's and TSL's... But, I can't say anything bad about the JVM, except that I think the price is a little high.

Symphony's are the hand-built drivers that originally came in Madison Cabs, before they started working with Celestion. I have 2 cabs with the Symphony Drivers. They are a little bright, but not brittle. I like them for certain applications. They are great live.

Would you mind sharing some metal clips of the JVM? I'm currently thinking of getting a new amp and had actually ruled it out as marshalls normally arent "metal" enough (though i love my dsl for rock/punk stuff)

Ok, I was looking into Randall amps but obviously I couldn't try any. Can anyone suggest some top end Randall heads and why you found them good please?

I know I could do an an extensive search but I thought it would be better to see them on the same thread to compare with other brands and opinions easier.

Also, I don't trust reviews from other sites that sell the stuff since I can get a more professional opinion here.

I heard a few at NAMM, and they sounded amazing, but I'm no bass tone guru. I've heard sketchy things about their reliability, but now that they're owned/affiliated with Peavey, maybe that's gotten better...

The best kept secrets in metal tone:

239102.jpg

238826.jpg

367936.jpg

266789.jpg

541893.jpg

That's all you need to know.

~006