The Thrash/ Death Metal Contium

Aug 14, 2002
Visit site
i was talking to some of my metal head friends, and i just noticed that (at least it seems) that most people either favor one style of metal or the other.... not alot that truly apreaciate bolth stiles (thrash/Death)

Now granted that bolth styles of music are quite different, Vocaly/Musical Content/ riff stlyings/ Drumm stylings/ ect...

but im more curious (As this is a thrash board) how many of you appreaciate/ listen to death metal with any freqwency, and what style you perfer...

most of my true death metal friends wont listen to thrash cus its "not brutal enough" this is a common oppinon shared by many bands as well (severe torture for example only listens to brutal death ) [a great band btw i have high respect for]

So am i the only one out there that enjoys thrash and appreaciates death? (cus it sorta seems that way with most metal heads i talk with)
tho Testament is one of my favorite bands and i listen to them tons... i actuly do perfer death metal over generic thrash.

-Necro

NecromancerAlpha said:
So am i the only one out there that enjoys thrash and appreaciates death? (cus it sorta seems that way with most metal heads i talk with)
tho Testament is one of my favorite bands and i listen to them tons... i actuly do perfer death metal over generic thrash.

-Necro

You're not alone, I tend to favor Thrash Metal, however I am very much into Death Metal / Black Metal bands. I can name drop bands but that's not the question. I am one of those people who can definately appreciate all levels of metal , Thrash being #1 , Death #2 .

I gravitate toward the heavier styles.

I know alot of people don't care for the "growling" death metal like singing , but I dig it. Same with the drums , in my opinion , anyone who can drum either styles , and do it well is a major talent.

It's all Metal
headbob.gif

It's all Metal

i totally agree.
i love all metal, from cheesy hair metal and prog shit to extreme death/gore/black metal - it's all fucking metal! \,,/

simple as that dude :D

I definitely love both styles. In fact, I couldn't even tell you which I prefer, thrash or death metal. At any given listen, you could hear me go from Testament, Kreator, or Vio-lence right over to Decapitated, Immolation, or Suffocation. Just to name a few...

I really dig both genres...but I also like black metal and prog. As long as it's good metal...I'm there! Just don't make me listen to Canibal Corpse, Man-O-War, or Hammerfall
pukeface.gif
this I cannot stomach!!

Just don't make me listen to Canibal Corpse, Man-O-War, or Hammerfall
pukeface.gif
this I cannot stomach!!

lol :Spin:

Fair enough *hides his 4 cannibal corpse cds*
hehe :D

*Little note on CC*
i find that alot of true death metal heads dont really like cannibal corpse tho alot of death metal brutal bands seem to love them...
me personaly i dont think there the best death metal band around... but there first 3 albums were brilliant i think... after that they were only half there with bleeding/vile and after that it got bland fast.

it's all fucking metal! \,,/

simple as that dude :D

thats cool thats pritty much how i feel...
i think i find alot of metallica / megadeth type fans who wont even give bands like nile/ cryptopsy a chance cus its "too" heavy too fast... ect

but thats the nice thing about testament fans openminded ness about musical styles ^_^

btw you guys are also mentioning black metal, im also getting into that (immortal , Dissection, mutant, horde of worms - some of my favs)

I know alot of people don't care for the "growling" death metal like singing , but I dig it. Same with the drums , in my opinion , anyone who can drum either styles , and do it well is a major talent.

thats really intresting you braught this up cus iv been analizing the differences between thrash and death metal alot laitly....

Imo thrash and death have a different composition style, the riff styles and drumm styles are noticibly different... iv been looking for ways to explain this cus non metal fans ask me "thrash metal. death metal? theres a difference? o_O"

sofar best i can explain it is the charactiristicts most bands of these types have not so much definitivly what makes it thrash/ or death...
mabby you guys have better diffinitions.

one thing im quite sure of tho is that the vocal style really doesnt determine the musical style at all...

Oh and thanx for all the replies ^_^
-Necro

i love metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 judas, hammerfall, maiden, testament, overkill, deicide, monstrosity, paradise lost, in flames, kreator, napalm death, motley crue, death, death angel, dri.............................and many more

I dont mind the melodic death stuff like Arch Enemy and CoB. But i cant stand stuff like Vader and Generic death metal. i get a kick out of the titles and names of songs they come up with. some of its pretty hilarious.

NecromancerAlpha said:
*Little note on CC*
i find that alot of true death metal heads dont really like cannibal corpse tho alot of death metal brutal bands seem to love them...
me personaly i dont think there the best death metal band around... but there first 3 albums were brilliant i think... after that they were only half there with bleeding/vile and after that it got bland fast.

Straying a little bit off topic here, but I found this kind of funny in that I think quite the opposite. I remember hearing the first three CC albums as they came out and I just thought they were horrible, and I loved death metal then. I hadn't heard anything by them in years, but when I heard Bloodthirst about a year ago, I was blown away. I still think the old stuff is junk, but I now love the newer CC albums with George Fisher, Bloodthirst and Gallery of Suicide being my favorites.

I like some classic death metal like Possessed - Seven Churches, Entombed - Left Hand Path, Sodom - In the Sign of Evil, Sepultura - Bestial Devastation the 1st 4 Morbid Angel albums, Death's Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy, and a bunch more, but mainly prefer speed and thrash!

Don't like death metal, at least, metal with the cookie monster vocals.

I don't put Witchery, The Haunted, Terror 2000 in the same catagory, even though I don't understand a fuckin' word they sing without looking at their lyric sheets. All those bands are killer; this newer style of thrash is just as good as any metal ever produced.

Death metal is my favorite genre (mostly brutal death), thrash is probably my second favorite.

one thing im quite sure of tho is that the vocal style really doesnt determine the musical style at all...

I agree, it doesn't determine the style itself, but I would say it's a factor. Anyway, I think it's pretty stupid for a death metal fan not to appreciate thrash because it's not ''brootal enough''. Afterall, thrash and death share a very important thing, and that's speed.

bloodfiredeath said:
Straying a little bit off topic here, but I found this kind of funny in that I think quite the opposite. I remember hearing the first three CC albums as they came out and I just thought they were horrible, and I loved death metal then. I hadn't heard anything by them in years, but when I heard Bloodthirst about a year ago, I was blown away. I still think the old stuff is junk, but I now love the newer CC albums with George Fisher, Bloodthirst and Gallery of Suicide being my favorites.

I would have to agree there. However, I do enjoy the first three. But I think they completely kill all that they did with Barnes easily with Vile, Gallery Of Suicide, Bloodthirst, and Gore Obsessed. Corpsegrinder is just a better vocalist. Not to mention, Cannibal has maintained their integrity while Six Feet Under just sucks donkey balls.

Now if they could just get a better drummer...

I prefer old-school thrash since I started listening to heavy music in the mid-eighties when thrash was predominate.
I have no qualms with death metal but overall most of the vocalist annoy me. I still like a few bands in the genre but on the whole i dont follow or listen to it much.

I'm more of a Classic Rock/Metal fans myself, both Thrash and Death Metal are more fringe interests to me. Death more so than Thrash. I think I listen to Thrash Metal more than Black Metal evwn though I have more BM albums, and then the only Death Metal band I listen to with any amount of regularity is Deicide.

At the end of the day, there is so much music out there and I only have so much money. Something's really gotta leap out at me for me to be willing to invest the money, or at least be available as a cheap vinyl :D all these Black and Death Metal bands appear to be pretty generic and I don't see much reason to choose Jghjtryultytgf over Liytgkrvdjbv, y'know...

I Grew up on Rock n' Roll, & progressed to Heavy Metal, then I had the fortune to be apart of the birth of Thrash Metal(Bay Area), for many years this was my passion, but in recent years I've continued to evolve, & I'd have to say that now I'm more into Melodic Death Metal. So I'd have to say at the present:
1. Melodic Death Metal(In Flames, Soilwork, Arch Enemy,Amon Amarth,Darkane, etc.)
2. Thrash Metal(Exodus, Metallica, Death Angel, Testament, Terror 2000, The Haunted, Dimension Zero,etc.)
3. Heavy Metal(Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Dokken,Ratt,Motley Crue,Def Leppard, etc.)
4. Classic Metal(Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, U F O, Montrose, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, AC/DC, etc.)

What I don't like is Straight up Death Metal, or straight up Black Metal, I gotta have some Melody, changes, & some fresh musical ideas, thrown into the mix.
But it's all about Metal................Metal is my life!

I tend to prefer old metal and thrash myself. I do like death metal, if its REALLY WELL DONE, like ATG's Slaughter of the Soul, but to me, a lot of it seems generic to a degree and faceless. And modern black metal is for the most part garbage in my opinion. I think the only band I like in the genre is Cradle of Filth. Stuff like Demon Booger just drives me bonkers. I'm still wondering how black metal became all corpse paint and keyboards, because it certainly didn't start out that way...... ( I know, I'm prolly generalizing, but......)

I like Melodic Death a lot ( In Flames, Soilwork, Children of Bodom) and I think Death Metal is OK. There are some good bands ( The Haunted, Entombed) and then there's bands that have little to no personality that are fun to listen to but I can't see how they can be someone's favorite band ( Deicide, Cannibal Corpse). Some Death is good, but I'll take Thrash anyday.