The Thread Where You Talk About Music You Like

I think there's extreme circumstances like an album being out of print for like 12 years and the price is unreasonable on a blind buy haha

I find waiting more enjoyable and ultimately more rewarding anyway. Downloading really kills the sense of discovery for me.

A while back I decided against downloading any new albums that I am anticipating. Also any albums that I strongly feel I will really enjoy. At most I will check out 30-second samples. Several years ago, this was how I explored new music and it proved to be far more rewarding in the end.

Downloading definitely spoils the experience, but in some circumstances it is useful. Take for example, Sopor Aeternus' upcoming album. I'm not going to drop 60euros to pre-order a special release package of the album, but I'm not going to wait a few months for the standard edition to be released. A downloaded copy will have to suffice until then.

I find waiting more enjoyable and ultimately more rewarding anyway. Downloading really kills the sense of discovery for me.

I definitely agree and really haven't downloaded an album in a long time, but you've been listen to manilla road for what, 4-5+ years? think you waited long enough man! especially with the high regard and reputation that album holds..

I'm more than willing to lay down a few bucks for a quality album. However, I agree with the special circumstances, ie unreleased material with no expected release, or an album being out of print for years so that you have to dump half your paycheck to come up with a copy that's probably used anyway, in which case neither the label nor the band is going to make a cent out of the sale regardless.

On that topic, this has always been a sticking point for me when people try to argue that downloading for free is so wrong because it hurts the artists. If you follow that line of thinking, then buying used albums is equally wrong, not to mention borrowing from friends, lending from a library, etc. Basically, the argument seems disingenuous to me if you won't be consistent with it and object to picking up an album by those other methods. I could honestly respect that position, but no one seems to want to take it. At least the person who never wants to pay anyone for anything ever is consistent.

But yeah, I'll gladly pay to support an artist I like for an album I'm going to listen to. What I can't stand is buying an album and realizing soon after that it's lousy and feeling like I was robbed. So I think it's more than fair if someone wants to download and listen to an album for free before spending money on it. Artists aren't the only ones that can be screwed out of money, after all. Consumers are just as vulnerable, and the big record labels in particular have been finding all sorts of ways to steal from them for years.

I'm very aware that buying used albums doesn't help the artist but there isn't much I can do about that.

For example, I generally don't like reissues because it usually means different album artwork (usually for the worse), sometimes a poor printing job, and sometimes remastered audio. I strongly dislike remastered audio because all it means is more compression and louder, worse quality audio. So any opportunity I get, I will buy the originals, which means buying a used copy rather than a new reissue. The artist loses out here because the music industry is still intent on deceiving people with their cheap marketing ploys.

When it comes to digital downloads, if I buy an mp3 version of an album and don't like it, can I sell these mp3s? Would that be illegal, wrong, and offensive? I can sell my CDs and records so why should this be any different? Not that I would do that, it's just that the they can sell me their bastardized copies.

The record companies tend to be the biggest criminals in all this business. And great point about selling the mp3s. I always found that inconsistent as well. For that matter, you can give away all the cds you want. I can buy cds and turn around and give them away five minutes later if I want and no one would say a thing. Do the same thing with an mp3 and get sued.

I'm new to this site, hopefully I'm posting a comment and not a message :p

As of now I am listening to Dol Guldur by Summoning. I was reading other replies and came across the band name 'Summoning' that I've heard over numerous occasions. I was wondering if someone could tell me about this particular band, I want to start getting into them.

\m/

I think it's the accessibility of online material, when it's uploaded to the internet anyone can get it. Most people wouldn't make 3000 burned cds and give them away

That's the argument, of course.... but all it takes is one time for them to get you if they can. You don't need to give away 3000 copies.

I'm new to this site, hopefully I'm posting a comment and not a message :p

As of now I am listening to Dol Guldur by Summoning. I was reading other replies and came across the band name 'Summoning' that I've heard over numerous occasions. I was wondering if someone could tell me about this particular band, I want to start getting into them.

m/
As Einherjer said, just start listening. You can't really go wrong. Their CDs aren't particularly hard to get a hold of.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqMj1ANFX8&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Summoning is absolutely fucking special. For so many reasons.

But lets talk about be'lakor if anyone wants to? I just got into them and wow...completely fresh, tasteful death metal. Very satisfying stuff.

RPM Radio (Rock Punk Metal Radio or Really Pissed Mates Radio :D) is a new Tuesday evening radio show presented by Nate and Jazzy Joe, playing all your favourite rock punk and metal tunes plus requests with a bonus of a webcam adding a lot of comedy appeal to the show! Check it out at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rpm-radio it brightened up my day!

RPM Radio (Rock Punk Metal Radio or Really Pissed Mates Radio :D) is a new Tuesday evening radio show presented by Nate and Jazzy Joe, playing all your favourite rock punk and metal tunes plus requests with a bonus of a webcam adding a lot of comedy appeal to the show! Check it out at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rpm-radio it brightened up my day!

:lol::lol::lol:

Be'lakor are pretty good, although I've only heard Stone's Reach. I did get bored with them after a while; I'd rather listen to Insomnium.

That's just generic, shitty, basic melodeath aka "Finnish metal" :err:

Such cute spam around here...

Insomnium are not bad, especially if you like melodic death metal. So check them out, see if you like them and that's that.

What's wrong with Finnish metal, guy from Finland? :p Aside from a bit too much poppyness in music, you've got some more than decent and diverse metal bands.