the "tour review thread"

Originally posted by Fury
Did they play Format C: For Cortex?

I know they didn't played it for the first gig in the states but the others?

When I met the guys in Sweden last summer, we were talking about how we love Edenspring, then they said maybe we should think about resurrecting this song live! And they began to speak swedish together (Niklas and Mikael)... so I don't know what to think, what to hope!?

They didn't play Format C: For Cortex in the Pomona show.

Here's 2 shots from the Pomona show:

sundinniklasson.jpg

niklassonleaving.jpg

yep, we'd be truly blessed if they played TABH for us. in case nuts aren't enough though, word is they like sambuca. maybe a case of that might work? :D bribe them with a case of the shit. :lol: i wonder if they could finish it off in the time they have left here before they have to return to sweden? :devil:

i went to the pomona show, sentenced, even though i like them, had an overall sub-par performance, and yes, they should have been the first to play...they had some technical problems which sort of killed the mood

DT came out, to be honest, i'd not heard too much of their stuff, and given it a real GOOD listen, and wasnt sure what to expect, and boy was DT ever a pleasant suprise, they have a great intensity and stage presence, got the crowd really fired up.

KSE, i know why people dont care for them, they have a newer style than the rest of the bands on tour, but to call them gay and say they are untallented is slightly south of bullshit, their singer is fucking awesome, shouldnt have talked as much, but is really intense and has a great voice, rough AND clean..and transfers between the two without a hitch, the rest of the band had a good stage presence and allthough i like them, i DO think DT should have had the #3 slot...and KSE the #2 slot..i enjoyed their show..hope to see them again soon

IF was great, whether or not anders was sick didnt seem to matter, he was fired up and they played a good show, bjorn is a damn ham on stage, i was right in front of him most of the time, really good shit

it was my first time seeing all 4 bands, and i enjoyed them all...and hope to see them all again, this is one of the better shows ive been too ever

Alright...here's the deal for all the people wanting mass transit to the NJ show. This is how my gf and I are getting there:

Taking the 5:36 or 5:52 out of Penn Station to New Brunswick. Once we get there, we were going to take a cab to the venue. It's only about 10 miles away from the station according to yahoo maps, so it shouldn't be too much. I'll probably meet you guys there, but if you want to meet at penn or something, I've got no problem with that. Not sure about my gf, as she doesn't hang out here, so at the least, maybe separate cabs.

See you all there.

~Kovenant

Why no NY or New York City show?!

I live in Connecticut and the closest show is either PHiladelphia or fucking OLD BIRCH New Jersey! Thats 2 1/2 hours to both of those destinations, whats the deal with that?!

It sucks. I imagine it's a logistical issue. There probably wasn't a venue of an appropiate size, that does Metal shows, available during the window that they would be within driving distance of NY.

Just take the drive.

GZ

Finally a Dark Tranquillity show in the states! I was so excited when i found out one of my favorite bands was coming. I wouldn't miss them for the world and even though i noticed they weren't playing anywhere by Indiana that didn't change it. I made a 9 hour road trip to see the swedish gods. The concert started at 5pm , as i understood from ticketmaster a killswitch band was suposted to play and then Dark Tranquillity but when i was waiting in the line to get in I could start to hear dark tranquillity playing one of the new damage done tracks. I was trying to get in the building as fast as i could. The line was so slow you would have thought they were giving everybody cavity searches. As i finally got in Dark Tranquillity started there second song which was from haven. It may have been the song "haven", but im not sure my memory is jogged from the beer. After that they broke out into my favorite Dark Tranquillity song, "Punish my Heaven"!! I was so happy to hear it my that made my day alone. Dark Tranquillity were amazing live mikael fed off so much energy on stage that just made the crowd go even more nuts. About halfway threw the concert before they started to play "The sun fired blanks" but niklas's guitar amp was cutting out for some reason. After they tried to fix it as much as they could the band started destroying again. They next played as far as I remember "Monochromatic Stains". The whole crowd went nuts off of that song the bands performance was phenominal. The song that dark tranquillity closed out the concert with was Final Resistance after that everybody in the bottleneck looked blow away. I would say this concert was definalty worth the wait, Dark Tranquillity are one of the best bands ive seen live. I can't wait to see them headline there own tour here. Besides just being such a great band. I would have to say that Dark Tranquillity were some of the nicest guys ive ever had the privilege of meeting. I was lucky enough to talk to mikael , niklas and the rest of them that night. The next time Dark Tranquillity tour I am definatly going to see them again and everybody else should check them out too.

Phil Gentry

It's good to hear the crowd going nuts in the Bottleneck. A bootleg of In Flames opening for Earth Crisis (2 years ago), the crowd seemed dead.

In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Sentenced, Dark Tranquillity (Sept 21, 2002, The Bottleneck, Lawrence KS.)

The wife and I jumped in the McCumber Metal Barge and headed east about 1:00PM on Saturday, it was a 3 hour drive to Lawrence from where I live in Columbia, and we didn't want to be late, we had to make it too the big rock show!!!!! The whole way there I was humming a tune.... Hundreds of miles rolled off today. Signs lose their meaning, minutes tick away. Dirt roads to interstates, I must have drove them all. Cigarettes and burgers, caffeine and alcohol. We managed to make it there with about an hour to spare, it was a early show, doors would open at 5:00PM. There was already about 50 people in line. We had an hour to kill so we decided to walk around the extremely hip downtown Lawrence...(Of course the wife just had to go to Abernathy and Flinch)......anyways time flys by, it time to get back in line...so it's about 15 minutes before the doors open, we're standing in the hot-ass sun, I'm standing there sweating my ass off, the sun was intense as hell, the line is getting longer and longer, and one by one the posers start to arrive, a Korn T-Shirt here and Rob Zombie T-shirt there, I overhear people talking about how Killswtich is gonna rock, no one knows who Dark Tranquillity is, Oh man was the crowd lame, I was pretty damn embarrassed to be standing in line with this group of Mall-rockers. So finally the line starts moving, it's about 10 after 5...We pass the busses and are able to peek into the windows to see what kind of debauchery the band members were up too, saw Ville from Sentenced looking about as down and depressed as humanly possible, he was setting at the drivers seat of the Sentenced bus, drinking a Budweiser, I guess he had just woke up...about that time Jesper of In Flames walks past us and notices us, briefly shoots the shit while the line is moving. It was uneventful, he looked the same as he did two years ago.....so now we're about 10 feet from the door, when I hear Dark Tranquillity start playing "Wonders at your feet", and I'm like what the fuck is going on....(The venue was in a big hurry to finish this show, everyone had to be out by 9:00PM because another concert was starting then..) So I'm pissed because the main band that I wanted to see was already starting...So we missed the first song.

Dark Tranquillity really kicked ass, Mikael Stanne and the rest of the band members we're very energetic and looked very happy and fresh, they played very well, they only played about 7 songs, had a few technical difficulties, and about a 3 minute period where they just talked with the crowd, dispite the Nu-metal crowd, everyone really cheered and gave them a very positive reception, it was short and sweet and pretty much sounded great, Stanne can fuggin' growl with the best of them......They did play "Punish My Heaven" and it was awesome when he said "That's right...You'll suffer my Punishment"...He was so into it, I mean he was a man possessed up there...He was fired up....

Tick Tock.......10 minutes later

Sentenced.....I was expecting the worst, based on previous reviews and the state in which I saw Ville in.....One by One the band members took their positions while a cool little instrumental was playing. The band looked pretty rough, long straggly hair, ripped up denim and sleeveless T's...
The Bam Ville takes the stage, looks really fucking mad and put out, they busted into "Cross My heart and Hope to Die"....and all of a sudden he changed, it was like night and day, Ville was going off, sweating his ass off and belting shit out, he sounded perfect, the band was on fire, the solos and riffs were awesome, I was so blown away, they really put on a great show, the crowd was really into them, I think Ville was just putting up this tough guy act for the showmanship, because he really gave it 100% and nailed every note...it was a very good performance...

Tick Tock.......12 minutes later

Killswitch Engage....Played great, had a new singer, this huge black guy that could scream like a banshee, I mean this dude was hardcore and really cool to the audience...The pit was a swirling maelstrom.....It was cool at first but after awhile it was pretty repetitive, I think they need to play some leads or something to change up the pace....The crowd really loved them, they really did sound good and gave the audience there moneys worth...

Tick Tock......30 mintes later...

Could they play any more techno?.......Could they wait any longer?
Could it be any hotter?

In Flames finally takes the stage, went right into "bullet ride" Anders looked like 10 miles of bad road, double chin, 3 day old beard, dazed glassy look in his eyes, he was his usual alert self, he really looked and sounded like he was blitzed out of his gourd. During this particular song they had a echo effect on the vocals which really sounded like shit, I was right up against the speakers on the left side so it was pretty fucked up sounding.. everyone was wearing white, looked like a bunch of ice cream men.....kinda lame but who cares it's the metal that mattered...after bullet ride they turned off that awful echo effect and it got alittle better, but still the band was really rushing the hell through all the songs and only taking time to play the new ones correctly. Anders would often skip words, He even fucked up when announcing Gyroscope, calling it Horoscope.... It was obvious that he was out of his mind that night. The highlight of the night was when they played "Clad in Shadows" but it really didn't sound very good. The guitarists played fairly good, but it just seemed like they weren't hungry anymore, they had nothing to prove, no longer wanted to impress anyone...I think this is the last time I'll see them live...This was the fourth time I've seen them and they just have lost that edge....It was by far the weakest performance of the night....