Regarding the funk passage in The Lotus Eater

Aug 3, 2008
New Jersey
I managed to catch Opeth in New York during their US tour back in September. In the photo pit during the concert, was a New York Times reporter. A couple of days after the show I read his review and it turns out he wasn't too fond of the performance.

That being said, he described the funk passage in The Lotus Eater as "ludicrous."

Being something of a jazz and funk nut, I completely appreciate and love that funk part. Every Opeth fan I know loves it as well. My question is, is there anyone here who also thinks it is "ludicrous"? I understand that Opeth has never really done the funk thing before so it might take some getting used to.

Whether you love or hate the funk passage, discuss it.

I love it because not only is it unexpected, it's also very refreshing that Opeth is experimenting with funk. Hopefully they will incorporate more funky grooves in the future.

i love it. i done see it as a gimmick, i see it as an appetizer for what opeth may create on their next album.

I had the band directors at my high school listen to The Lotus Eater and they loved it as well. Could it be that you have to be a pretentious New York Times reporter to not enjoy Opeth playing some funk?

I managed to catch Opeth in New York during their US tour back in September. In the photo pit during the concert, was a New York Times reporter. A couple of days after the show I read his review and it turns out he wasn't too fond of the performance.

That being said, he described the funk passage in The Lotus Eater as "ludicrous."

Being something of a jazz and funk nut, I completely appreciate and love that funk part. Every Opeth fan I know loves it as well. My question is, is there anyone here who also thinks it is "ludicrous"? I understand that Opeth has never really done the funk thing before so it might take some getting used to.

Whether you love or hate the funk passage, discuss it.

I love it because not only is it unexpected, it's also very refreshing that Opeth is experimenting with funk. Hopefully they will incorporate more funky grooves in the future.
I totally agree with you.

the funk passage IS totally out of place, just as most of watershed is.

I think it feels right within the song.

Also I happen to like that Watershed is all over the map. Although it comes across as an unfocused effort, I'd argue that it makes for an interesting listening experience.

However, I think some of the songs could have been structured better, especially "Heir Apparent" and "Porcelain Heart."

I think the funk passage would feel more out of place if the transition into it wasn't as flawless as it is. I think my favorite part about it is how Axe introduces the groove right before the rest of the band kicks in. Fuckin stellar.