Regarding the funk passage in The Lotus Eater

it works brilliantly live, but on the record it sounds slightly ridiculous.

Ludicrous?
That's not a very good criticism there. I'm pretty sure it's SUPPOSED to be kinda ludicrous. That means it works, which means its more praise than criticism.

Where's the logic in that?

I'm just saying that in the heat of the moment(i.e. live) it sounds really cool and everyone gets right into, but when you actually listen to it on the album you realise it just sounds ridiculous and totally out of place.

why take it as a criticism? the way the reporter puts it, i think it could well be a compliment of sorts- it IS ludicrous, but it's also one of the few points on the disc where that kind of risk-taking is rewarding. the momentum-destroying descending solo keyboard line is the worst bit in that song, as well as the clunking intro. but the funk section? ludicrous! but it works!

I really love it,
I cant see it being out of place, and even if it is, I beleive it would be intentional.
kinda like the detuning of the guitar at the end of Burden.

Ya feel me./ uh

why take it as a criticism? the way the reporter puts it, i think it could well be a compliment of sorts- it IS ludicrous, but it's also one of the few points on the disc where that kind of risk-taking is rewarding. the momentum-destroying descending solo keyboard line is the worst bit in that song, as well as the clunking intro. but the funk section? ludicrous! but it works!

I find each of these transitions alright. Strange at first, and new from Opeth, but very interesting and unexpected. This song is about illness, that's an ill song.

the funk passage IS totally out of place, just as most of watershed is.

WHOA!!! Stop the presses!!! philno has a negative comment?! WHO KNEW?!! :OMG:

Seriously though, the funk breakdown is one of my favorite Opeth moments... evar! :kickass:

As for the NYT, I wouldn't line the bottom of a bird cage with that sanctimonious drivel, as it's not even fit to shit on!

What's a honky?:)

Perhaps a little visual aid would help...

full-rednecks.jpg