The True You

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
As this message board gets larger, and I learn more about each person who posts on this board - I find it amazing. I truely don't believe too many people understand us.

For one, why do most people have such a negative view of darkness? We all know it's because they just don't understand it. Since the majority equate light=good dark=bad, people unknowingly shut-out the dark, and bury it forever.

I also realize most people are shallow. They have no idea how to tap into their own insides, to better understand themselves. People are born into this world, and develope based on what they see and are taught by others. As they grow older, this is what they believe, and are not taught to turn themselves inside-out to find their true selves.

Based on some of your ages, I guess it took me just a little longer to find myself - but it's never too late. I admire the younger people for understanding themselves despite what they have been force-fed to believe, and to us older folk for not getting lost in the crap this world has to offer. I personally have the ability to "grow" with age, and am not afraid to keep on digging for the truth - that truth being a point of satisfaction with your beliefs. Too many people get trapped at a point in time, and stop developing.

I just hope each of you continues to search out "The True You".

The bible places an emphasis on the light being he good and the darkness being bad. Earlier in my life, I used to regularly attend church and would be saddened when I heard this. All of my life, I have only been attracted to the dark. When I was four years old, I wanted to be Skeletor from He-Man. I used to make all of my action figures have huge wars between the light and the darkness. Heh, I always made the darkness crush the light.

MetalMancpa..... i truly feel that you were describing me with your last post. I went through a period throughout this year of complete soul searching....my destination...my true self....finding out what i live and breathe for everyday. Now, people are so quick to judge me just on what is playing in my cd player. I detest the shallowness and narrow-mindedness of our world. When i read these posts, I am filled with this emotion of true understanding and satisfaction about what i believe. I love reading other people's views and how similar they are to mine.

On the opeth side, this constant place I am brought to whenever I listen to any album, only helps self-awareness. Tell me, has anyone been classified as a satanist, freak, etc. just because of the music they listen to, how their hair is, or the clothing they choose to wear? People are constantly telling me that i have changed so much....my personality has remained the same, only my outlook on life has just taken off....i live each day every second....we're only placed in the world once.....why hide behind and image being fake to everyone you come across?
live life and be yourself

I am often labeled as a "devil worshipping nazi." Even the police around here harrass me, one officer even coming up to me and saying "you'd beter not be sacrificing any animals." I've been cuffed and released many times, because somebody reported me being involved in "suspicious activity" when all I was doing was standing there and people didn't like the way I looked. I'm not a terribly mean person, but I am rather hard to get along with. The people in the local "metal" scene know who I am because I am so harshly critical of music. Most of the bands here are nu-metal, so pretty much everyone around here doesn't get along with me because I am brutally honest with my opinions of the bands here. Also, most of my shirts and my jewelry tend to scare people, but that's obviously going to happen if you're into black metal.

It all comes down to ability to think. I honestly don't know if some people are incapable of thinking or they are but hide it to suit their agendas. When a 13-year-old child is asking their mom or dad for the first time about getting people (especially of the other sex) to like them, the cliche answer parents give is "Be Yourself" and the child says quietly to themselves, "No, that's dumb!". And of course, they can never understand what "yourself" is, anyways. And then... once again, in cliche land, that child grows up to be a teenager and (HOPEFULLY... some never make it this far) realizes this and graduates high school and does that "taking a year off to backpack across europe and find myself" thing. For some people that might help, and it's great that they're having that thought, they're halfway there, but you can find other ways to escape your "bubbleworld", as I said in a previous thread, without leaving your country, and gain the experiences necessary to jog this thought process. But that's it... jog. It's the thinking afterwards that counts.

(The people who never make it that far remain teenagers far past when their numerical age indicates... there's 40-year-old teenagers walking around out there - you know the people I'm talking about... and 18-year-old adults)

I'm still a long way from defining the "True Me" and I already know that finding it doesn't matter - it isn't the point. The point is the process of looking for the true you. The ability to sit down and discuss with other people what you are really about and why and what that means and how that comes out and to take nothing for granted, to not let any answer be good enough, is the point. The finding of oneself falls within a simple quotation I put together recently to remind myself to live by... one I wish I could broadcast to the world:

DEMAND KNOWLEDGE AND QUESTION EVERYTHING

If you do this not only about your enviroment but yourself, then you're already there. You're thinking. Will finding truth follow? I don't know, truth is subjective anyways. Whether or not actually finding yourself occurs I don't know yet, I haven't gotten that far. I'll keep you posted, though.

Ok, I have an opinion about this true self stuff that I'd like to share.

First off, I think searching for self ("soul searching") is a futile venture and just leads you further off track. The idea that there is a 'true self' that can be 'found' is a logical fallicy. A self cannot find itself, just like an eye can't see itself and fire can't burn itself. Our inherent subjectivity ensures that our line of sight goes in one direction only.

Thoughts are limited interpretations about reality. If we think our thoughts/interpretations are actually REAL then we are trapped by our senses. Nothing we see is 'real', it's only a subjective interpretation, we don't SEE reality, we see our interpretation of reality, and they are 2 very different things. For example, colours aren't real, they are a complete fabrication of mind, and yet we go around assuming that the universe is full of colours even though it is not. We are full of illogical assumptions like this. Because of our inherent subjectivity, we can never truly experience anything, it's always filtered through us first and we form a mental picture which we see, and it's full of bias and not a very accurate reflection of reality at all. This is not some crap I'm making up, it's a very old idea that also holds true in modern quantum physics, the 'truth' of what I'm saying here isn't even debatable cuz it's so obvious and it's also the basis of einstein's relativity as well.

I feel that true self cannot be found by looking inward and thinking hard, I think it is found by looking outward and not thinking at all. We are all part of the universe and we shouldn't feel so isolated and distinct. Like all things we are just a part of our environment, the self in you is the same self of the sun or a river, the atoms in you body are as old as the universe itself and sun provides you with energy to think. The water in your body has been recycled through billions of life forms, each of which felt that same "me" that we feel. It's obvious that we are the universe and that this tiny sense of self we feel is not real. We may think we are separate from everthing but we are not, we are just as much an expression of the mulititudes of universal variation as is a star, a tree, a rock, a planet, a bacteria, whatever, it's all the same thing, all the same energy, and they have all the same origin. If you go to a pond and remove a glass of water from the pond, you don't have a separate thing in that glass, what you have is a piece of the pond and you can freeze it or evaporate it and it will always be that same piece of pond, whatever the form. The same is true of humans and the earth, one of untold zillions of planets, all of which are composed of the same elements that flows in our blood right now. Try as we may to convince ourselves othewise, the cold fact remains that the TRUE self is the self of the universe and we can see ourselves in everything if we bother to open our eyes to this painfully obvious fact. As long as we seek a distinct self that is separate from everything we will be disappointed in our efforts. But when we feel as if we are one with everything in the universe (which is a physical FACT), past and present (even time itself is a limited interpretation), then the true self we seek is everywhere we look and has been there since the beginning of time. I feel I'm just stating the obvious. The only thing that separates us from reality is our own minds, we aren't separate, we just think we are. We don't need to find ourselves, we need to realize that true self (the universe) is inescapable and that there is nothing to find. If you want to find yourself just look down at the ground or up at the sun, there it is.

Ice crystals forming
Radiance swarming
Docile morning
Embraces your soul
Seclusion shatter
In silent clatter
Time, thought, and matter
Unite in the whole.

I hope I've made some sense, I realize how incredibly strange this seems at first, as obvious and simple as it is. It has been incredibly helpful in my life, being the fully recovered post-christian that I am because of such ideas.

Satori, da existentialist freak

Okay, so (taking this highly articulate and therefore complicated-sounding yet resoundingly straightforward perspective the brain doesn't generally think in terms of and applying it to my prior statements), I said "Demand Knowledge and Question Everything: If you do this not only about your enviroment but yourself, then you're already there ('true self')."

Your point is that you ARE your environment... you're both part of an inseperable whole. This I can obviously not argue with... even if I wanted to disagree, I'd have much difficulty supporting that argument.

You've done a lot of thinking, haven't you? It strikes me that an opinion such as this one which states that "true self", a term which I can't bring myself to say without putting quotations around it, is found by not thinking and looking outwards can only be realized by much thinking. Without that mental "exercise" I can't see how anybody's brain would be capable to put together on it's own what you have stated above. If they hadn't, they'd essentially be following that doctrine but be completely oblivious to it. Is this all inherently paradoxical or is it just me?

Very complex and compelling responses so far, and I can't disagree with any of it.

I would like to expand on my definition of "true self". When I say there is a point we are seeking out, that point can never be reached. We only go through our physical lives as we know it travelling towards that point. When I say that I finally found myself, I mean that I now have the ability to realize these complexities, not that I have reached a point of happiness.

Satori - you articulate much better than I, and also have the patience to transfer your thoughts to us, and I appreciate it, for it clarifies things even more.

HoserHellspawn - a paradox, yes, but the "thinking" part of us does keep it from unravelling.

As I thought, each of us has entered this Opeth messageboard, for one reason or another, and we definately have some sort of common bond that transcends all logical definition.

What Satori posted reminded me of many thoughts I used to play with while travelling to school when I was about 16, and one of them was "what if every human saw, felt and heard this world totally differently from the others?" I mean, if I could somehow see what you see through your eyes and the picture your brain constructs from it, would I see the same I do or something that looks totally alien to me, like cubist art? :)

Hmm, quite off-topic, but as said, it was just a sidenote. As you were.

I am usually in deep thought, so where I stand now seemed to come to me as a natural evolution of my character. My parents are fanatical christians, so growing up, I had "the goodness and divinity of light" shoved down my throat. I never particularly liked the light, even at a young age. My sunday school teachers would scold me for questioning the doctorine of christianity and I would often be sent to sit out in the hallway for asking questions that the teacher could not answer. This made my parents sad and I felt horrible for hurting my parents, and this led me to substance abuse during high school. I eventually came to the conclusion that wasting my life in that way was stupid, so I either needed to end my life or change it. I decided to embrace the darkness that I held so dear to me, and I began the gradual process of letting my natural feelings take hold of me. My distrust and general hatred of people came from being hurt so many times in the past. The lack of good friends in the past has caused me to be somewhat antisocial and introverted. I have only had a handful of true friends (very loyal friends that would die for me, and I would do the same for them) and now I am very lucky and very happy that my best friend of all time shared them same feelings that I felt for her and now I finally have a pure love. For once in my life I am actually happy, so I know that the basic need for certain emotions and companionship have a direct influence on my actions. I am actually nicer to people now, though I still shout obscenities and people that piss me off. I'm sorry for babbling on about my life, I just wanted to give an example and explain how I found my "true self."

Originally posted by BurzumBeast
I am usually in deep thought, so where I stand now seemed to come to me as a natural evolution of my character. My parents are fanatical christians, so growing up, I had "the goodness and divinity of light" shoved down my throat. I never particularly liked the light, even at a young age... blah blah... I just wanted to give an example and explain how I found my "true self."

Hey man, I think it's amazing that you have the courage and insight to say this in a public arena such as this. Your honesty is appreciated. I know what you mean by having chrisitianity shoved down your throat, I was there too, having gone to catholic school in a small place that's stuck in the past. I suffered a lot of inner turmoil as I tried to believe it when I was a kid and I felt trapped and wronged by my own existance. I recall wishing I had never been born, to me this was better than being trapped in a life I didn't want with no freedom to be myself where the ultimate price to pay for just being who I was born to be was going to hell. The idea of hell gives me a huge belly-laugh now, but then it scared the complete shit outta me. I had nightmares for years and never felt safe and I felt guilty for my own thoughts. I believe it is this struggle between individuals and themselves that is the basis behind the mind-fuck that is religion, people are much easier to lead when they have already broken their own wills. Those twisted bastards (corrupt politicians) who invented and propogated such political/war religions were psychological masterminds, they knew just how to mentally sodomize people into submission for their own ends and it's still going on today. The whole struggle between believing in your own logic and believing in outlandish nonsense is the evil mastery behind christianity and most religions. If you believe in yourself then you are going to hell, if you believe in religion then you are lying to yourself and you feel like an idiot. There is no escape from the suffering. Religious people go back and forth between belief/non-belief and it drives them nuts. The only hope for them is completely giving up and not thinking at all, at this point they get that glazed look in their eyes that you see in coffee shops early sunday morning. It's pathetic. And don't think that all religious leaders are victims of the system, I'm certain that all the higher up ones know it's all a load of crap. I knew a girl once who wanted to become a nun (I 'converted' her out if it, hehe) and she went to some nun place for a few days to test the waters and she got into some deep discussions with a few of the nuns there. Anyway, these nuns don't believe in it like a literal truth, they know it's just a myth with rituals. She even asked if they believed that Jesus was actually the literal son of god and the nun responded that Jesus was no more or less divine than you or me and that his conception was not "immaculate". I thought, wow, that's pretty cool. She liked it a lot, but she was already losing "faith" because my my influence and when she heard nuns saying it's all a bunch of myths that we adopt in order to make life "better" then she totally lost her desire to be a nun. I suspected she wanted to be a nun out of fear (of hell most likely) and when she finally let go of that fear she developed a huge distaste for the religion which had lied to her and scared the crap out of her since birth. The worst ones are TV evangelists who have no shame whatsoever. There's one called Creflow A. Dollar (that's his name) and he's black and he is aimed at low-income black americans and he talks them out of their money with promises of finanacial gain. It makes me sick. If no one has seen this show (we get it on CTS in Canada) then you should really watch it, it's much much much worse than you think. Gawd how I'd like to give that Creflow minister dick such a slap for being such a greedy bastard and preying on the poor and stupid. Shameless.
So anyway, not all religious fanatics believe in it and they knowingly lie to people and I find this just sick. I think the pope should just come clean and stop the bullshit now, it's gone on for too long, we've outgrown it's purposefulness. We have other tools for keeping people in line these days, and beside, people are much more civilized now that when most religions were fabricated, they are outdated and insulting to the intellects of most people. It's a shame kids are still being traumatized by this crap, kids are the most important thing we have and we train them by religious mental slavery. It's clear child abuse, I was hurt by it and so were many many others, even the ones who claim to believe it and go around trying to convince others are hurt by it too, they just can't admit it to themselves (all part of the twisted mind-fuck that is religion). To me, anything that knowingly hurts people in any way is ABUSE and religion fits this definition perfectly.

Religion must die. It's a social injustice which must be corrected. Mikael is anti-religion too, like most half-way intelligent people.

muwahahah...

Satori

The bible places an emphasis on the light being he good and the darkness being bad. Earlier in my life, I used to regularly attend church and would be saddened when I heard this. All of my life, I have only been attracted to the dark. When I was four years old, I wanted to be Skeletor from He-Man. I used to make all of my action figures have huge wars between the light and the darkness. Heh, I always made the darkness crush the light.

ahahaha, that is so cool, I used to totally idolize Skeletor too, I thought he was the coolest. His voice was cool and I always hoped he would slap He-Man around sometimes. I didn't want Skeletor to kill He-Man so much as I wanted him to dominate and humilate him, I guess for me it was more of an intellectual dominance than a physical one. He-Man was such a geek. I remember feeling guilty about liking Skeltor so much, like god wouldn't approve or something, haha, it seems funny now but it was scary then.

When I was a kid I would sneak into my old brother's room and look at his record collection. I knew where all the 'evil' albums were, I would look at Kiss and Alice Cooper covers and be afraid but at the same time I got off on it. It's that affectation for darkness. I don't think there's really anything substantial to loving darkness really, it's just a personal preference like liking chocolate over vanilla or something and I don't place too much value in it. I think my loving darkness in part comes from it being like a forbidden fruit through which my actual personality (as opposed to my supressed religious facade) was able to express itself. I think there's a thrill in being a little scared too. I think the people who enjoy darkness are the same ones who take pleasure in confronting their fears. For me, acceptance of darkness meant liberation from religious mind-fucking so I think I developed this positive association early one. It's interesting how much our childhood affects who we become. Had darkness not been so "bad" for me as a child, I don't think I would like it quite as intently as I do. Seems as though the religious dogma kinda backfired, haaha.

Satori

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
You've done a lot of thinking, haven't you? It strikes me that an opinion such as this one which states that "true self", a term which I can't bring myself to say without putting quotations around it, is found by not thinking and looking outwards can only be realized by much thinking. Without that mental "exercise" I can't see how anybody's brain would be capable to put together on it's own what you have stated above. If they hadn't, they'd essentially be following that doctrine but be completely oblivious to it. Is this all inherently paradoxical or is it just me?

No, it's not you, this, like everything else, is inherently paradoxial, and in high-level reasoning such as this it's almost impossible to not use paradoxes. Existence itself is a paradox. In quantum physics: is a photon a particle or a wave? It's both at the same time, it is at once a distinct entity and a bump in the vacuum of space-time, 2 conflicting points of view but they are both 100% accurate. Reality is built on this duplicity and inherent duality. Bear with me for a second and I'll clarify, it seems weird at first but it makes total logical sense and can be proven to be true in modern science.

Existence (as we interpret it with our limited perception) is built on the idea of relativity, or more accurately, relativity defines how we view things (in this "dimension" or "reality" or whatever). This means that we see everything only in relation to something else. We see physical matter because it is painted on the canvas of the vacuum of space. If there was no space, only matter, we wouldn't be aware of matter cuz we'd have nothing to compare it to. If there was no matter (for the sake of argument) then we wouldn't see space cuz we'd have no way to define space relative to something else. If there was no light then there would be no such thing as darkness. There's no hot without cold, no up without down, no good without evil.. etc. What I'm saying is that the seemingly dualistic and mutually exclusive aspects of reality aren't really mutually exclusive, they are co-depedent on each other for their existence. Reality is built on duality. For each particle there is an anti-particle with opposite mass and spin going in the opposite direction in time. The univere is constructed in such a way that if if you were to take into account all the matter and anti-matter in the universe then you would find that

the total mass of the universe is exactly ZERO.

As weird as this sounds, it's true, so purely technically speaking, the universe doesn't exist at all! And yet it does. Oh gee, doesn't that sound like another paradox? That's cuz it is, even the whole of the universe itself is one giant paradox, so it no wonder why the it contains many paradoxes within it, the universe itself is one big impossible dualistic paradox. It's like a sheet of rubber, you stick your hand into the sheet and it forms to your hand and sticks out from the sheet. You remove your hand and what you see is the shape of your hand on one side of the sheet (a bump), and on the other side there is a hole (the anti-hand). In our world all we see is the hand, not the hole of the anti-hand, so we assume that that's all there is. The "hand" in the rubber isn't real, it's just the inverse of the hole on the other side. The "anti-hand" isn't real, it's just the inverse of the hand. So does the hand or the anti-hand actually exist. The answer, as you might have guessed, is yes and no. Both answers, though paradoxial, are correct. Things are never how they appear and we preceive such a small part of reailty. Some people then say that since we can't understand the origins of the universe "oh, god must have created it" but that's not a solution to the puzzle, where did this god come from? It doesn't answer the question, it just postpones it and creates a new question that is even more whacky and harder to grasp. The fact is we'll most likely never know how the universe began, I'd explain why but it's very involved, suffice to say that when we exist in a reality that is built on relativisitic duality then we are blinded by the division. We can never understand the physics within a singularity (like a black hole) cuz the 'laws' of physics which we use to calculate stuff themself break down as soon as the 4 basic forces of nature become one. Relativistic perception is all we have, in a singularity like in the beginning of the universe there is no duality, no subject-object division, no place to stand from which to take measurements, no measurments, nothing. There are no words to desribe the beginning cuz language is also built on relativity. The best way I've heard it described is "the spilt between something and nothing". It's also interesting to note that modern think now feels that the universe didn't have a distinct beginning as we understand it, and it didn't happen at some point in the past, time was created with the universe so there was no "before" the beginning. That's how limited our reasoning is. The universe has no outside. It's just weird.

But anyway, to answer your question, everything is a paradox. I feel that the "true self" of the universe cannot be felt by thinking cuz thinking is relative and seeks to divide everything into mutual exclusions. When we "think" we see the hand in the rubber sheet and we know about the existence of the anti-hand and although we know and understand they are dualistic expressions of the same phenomenon we can't see both at the same time and we can't grasp the underlying phenomenon which birthed them. The parent of duality is singularity and we can't even measure what's going on in a singuality cuz it's impossible to look inside one and even if it were possible to look inside and extract information from it it would be meaningless to us cuz we "think" in relativity and it's inescapable. As soon as we think, relative duality is born and ultimate reality is hidden. For this reason I feel the closest we can come some "understanding" reality is by not thinking. When there is no observer (self melts into environment) there is nothing to be observed and nothing to understand, the universe just "IS" and "ISN'T" and there's really nothing more we can accurately say about it without getting lost of the infinite duplicity of subject-object reasoning.

Consciousness at once create the idea of understanding and prevents understanding by it's very roots of being relativistic.

btw, all this crap I've written here and everywhere isn't something I just made up, it's zen buddhism and quantum physics (2 ways of looking at the same thing), and I take no credit for these ideas whatsoever. I'm just a messenger. A sacreligious messenger, muwahahah.

Satori, newfie from hell (who says newfies are stupid? hahaahhaha)

Whoa Satori! Could you please use some line-spacing? ;D

I recognice myself in your posts. If I were to explain my own beliefs, the posts would look a lot like yours. Except with proper spacing. ;P

Two small points that I would like to add:

The Map is not the Territory.

One Eye can see another Eye.

When I was a kid I would sneak into my old brother's room and look at his record collection. I knew where all the 'evil' albums were, I would look at Kiss and Alice Cooper covers and be afraid but at the same time I got off on it.
I think it bothered my parents that my younger brothers looked up to me so much. One time, I came home and found one of my younger brothers in my room listening to Slayer. I'm not sure if my parents were aware of this, but I'm pretty sure they probably expected it. When I was younger, before I even knew what metal was, I would listen to my older sister's goth and industrial albums because it was the darkest music I had ever heard. I found it a great change of pace from the oldies that my parents enjoyed or the music I heard from my video games. I think that was a good experience for me, because although it wasn't as dark as I wanted it to be, at least it introduced me to the idea that dark music existed.

Originally posted by Protocol
Whoa Satori! Could you please use some line-spacing? ;D

I recognice myself in your posts. If I were to explain my own beliefs, the posts would look a lot like yours. Except with proper spacing. ;P

Two small points that I would like to add:

The Map is not the Territory.

One Eye can see another Eye.

Cool, thanks for your input.

Sometimes all we have is a map when the territory is unreachable or unperceivable (like chemistry), but this does not discount the map as an accurate interpretation. We could also say: "The image you see is not real, it's only and interpretation of light." but we know that our mental images are accurate enough to trust, if the situation warrants it of course. So I say trust the map, besides, it's all we have so it's not like me got much choice, hehe.

One eye can see another eye, but this is not the same as the eye seeing itself, but regardless of this, it was just an analogy of how self is far too subjective to be the least bit objective in it's own observation of itself. The reasoning behind this is kinda involved and quite pointless, hehe. My real point is that the self we seek is not where we expect to find it, ego is a manifestation of matter in organization and nothing more. Just like how a bunch of hydrogen gets together and becomes a star, we are a similar expression of nature. If anyone thinks that "consciousness" is anything special or supernatural or something then have I got news for you! heheh. But that's another topic.

Thanks for the pointers about the spacing, I'll try to keep it in mind, but I don't know how much good it'll do, muwahha..

cheers

3:30 am in Satori-land, too much forced socializing, not enough darkness and genuineness.

I think it bothered my parents that my younger brothers looked up to me so much. One time, I came home and found one of my younger brothers in my room listening to Slayer. I'm not sure if my parents were aware of this, but I'm pretty sure they probably expected it. When I was younger, before I even knew what metal was, I would listen to my older sister's goth and industrial albums because it was the darkest music I had ever heard. I found it a great change of pace from the oldies that my parents enjoyed or the music I heard from my video games. I think that was a good experience for me, because although it wasn't as dark as I wanted it to be, at least it introduced me to the idea that dark music existed.

Cool.. I got into deep purple when I was 5 and then into alice cooper when I was 8, I think that was it for me, my path was decided then, heheh. And then came metallica and maiden and slayer and now dimmu borgir is starting to seem pretty cool, hehe.

Anyway, I thought I would share yet another tale of sacrelige.

When I was a young boy of 16 I was in a band, we played progressive speed metal and we had a huge slayer influenced affectation for evil. We practiced in my friend's basement and his parents were *fanatical* catholics. They would often remark how 'depressing' and 'bad sounding' we sounded, they didn't want to say 'evil' so they were trying to tell us in other ways.. it gave us a good laugh. So anyway, this being the case, one time me and my friend were in his bedroom with a guitar and sticks listening to reign in blood while stoned on hash writing a new tune. We were listening to slayer for inspiration and we came up with some pretty twisted/evil lyrics which we were writing down. Just downstairs his parents were having a "prayer meeting" which is when fanatical catholics in this ass backward part of canada invite the people in the prayer group over and they have tea and pray together and sing hymns with box guitars and such. We were used to this specticle so we didn't care and we just went on with our writing.

His dad knocked on the door and said "Are you boys listening to any 'devil music' up there?" Apparently, as his dad took the time to explain, the "hymns" weren't sounding too good that night and the group decided that the devil must be lurking about, interfering with the sound waves and such and souring the notes. Yep, that *must* be it. Geesh, you'd think that if they are going to live in constant paranoia of satan fucking them then they should at least have a drug habit to make it worth while, hehe.

"Ok, now why is the devil here? We are all good catholics, what could be the attraction? Well those boys are up in that room, maybe they are doing something to attract satan out of hell? But what could they be doing? Well, they're playing that guitar with that distortion so it's got to be that devil music. Yes, I think we have determined the source of the problem. Our hymns sound like shit because the devil is here and he's trying to get into the boys through that devil music. We better go have a talk with them... "

hahah-fucking-ha.

Another incident when we were watching an old voivod video we had recorded. his dad happened to hear the line "Whose god? Whose dog?" and his dad flipped out and we had to tell him the tape belonged to my father or something to keep him from burning it in the wood stove! Insanity!

With stuff like this going on, along with everything else, particularly the out for profit evangelists, is it any wonder why some people think religious fanatics are completely insane and want to avoid them like the plague? Sad but true.

This never gets boring.. hehe, I wonder if we're pissing anyone off with all this and they aren't confident in their own opinions to formulate a rebuttal, which, considering what a bastard I can be, is probably a good thing, hahaha.

Satan's Schlong, Satori

I had a similar experience while jamming in somebody's garage. We were just messing around with some death metal covers and the drummer's mom comes in all of a sudden and says that we're not allowing her to have bible study, or something of that manner. I couldn't help myself, I just broke into a laughing hysteria. I think I was either 16 or 17 at the time. Anyway, I wasn't allowed over at that house again.