The Ultimate Classic Rock Thread

Altitudes

Stay Frosty
Jun 18, 2007
California
ITT: we post vids and opinions of awesome bands from the 60's to late 70's :headbang:

The Essentials:

The Beatles (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, etc.)

Cream, Traffic, Dereck and the Dominoes, AND Blind Faith!!! (Clapton + Baker + Bruce = WIN)

Boston!

Buffalo Springfield

Creedance Clearwater Revival!

Crosby, Stills, and Nash (Vocal harmonies do not get any better than this!)

The Doors

Ten Years After

Zeppelin

Pink Floyd! Everything of theirs is great, from Syd Barrett era to The Wall

Velvet Underground

The Zombies!

EDIT: I almost forgot Patto and Timebox. Just recently discovered these two!
I know I forgot many more, so post your favourites.

I have an idea of what some of you may say, but let me use this thread to express my complete dislike for KISS. I find all their music just boring.

I will not refute their impact on music, nor the fact that a few of the members are actually extremely talented. But the music, to me, was always just a snoozefest. I still think they should keep rocking though, introducing new people to the satanic evilness that is rock.

my post lacked stuff from the 60s, so here's a rockin' tune that some other band stole for themselves

Last edited by a moderator:
KISS sucks and Jimmy Page didn't really do anything else BUT rip off other blues artists.

CANNED HEAT! lolz

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5W2ZcoUEwA&feature=related[/ame]

Timebox:

Patto:

Song of the Day:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuqcbxcPlc0&feature=PlayList&p=0EDB30F7ED812D4B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=52[/ame]

There was an SF prog/psych/jam band called "Hammer" who put out one self-titled record on San Francisco Records in 1970, who absolutely smoked (especially the then 19-year-old guitarist!). It is literally impossible to find, even to this day. But I know the singer of the band, John DeRobertis, currently a voice teacher in SF, and who also happens to be amazing, and he digitized the CD for me.

HAMMER.jpg

They sound a bit like Cactus or Magma, but more rocking with really some of the best guitar playing I've heard, ever! The story goes, after a Hammer gig, BB King saw the young Hammer guitarist and was so blown away that he asked him to come to a private jam session in San Francisco. Of course, he couldn't say no, so BB took him to a private club they'd rented out where BB played guitar and sang, Jimi Hendrix was playing bass, Steve Winwood was on keys, and Janis accompanied BB on voice.

Pretty cool, huh? ;)

Here's a posthumous myspace page for the band so you can check out some of the tunes ('Something Easy' and "Tuane' are excellent).

Hammer@Myspace

hmr_fillmoremarquee.jpg

There was an SF prog/psych/jam band called "Hammer" who put out one self-titled record on San Francisco Records in 1970, who absolutely smoked (especially the then 19-year-old guitarist!). It is literally impossible to find, even to this day. But I know the singer of the band, John DeRobertis, currently a voice teacher in SF, and who also happens to be amazing, and he digitized the CD for me.

HAMMER.jpg

They sound a bit like Cactus or Magma, but more rocking with really some of the best guitar playing I've heard, ever! The story goes, after a Hammer gig, BB King saw the young Hammer guitarist and was so blown away that he asked him to come to a private jam session in San Francisco. Of course, he couldn't say no, so BB took him to a private club they'd rented out where BB played guitar and sang, Jimi Hendrix was playing bass, Steve Winwood was on keys, and Janis accompanied BB on voice.

Pretty cool, huh? ;)

Here's a posthumous myspace page for the band so you can check out some of the tunes ('Something Easy' and "Tuane' are excellent).

Hammer@Myspace

hmr_fillmoremarquee.jpg

I'll definitely have to find a way to check this out. For some reason myspace media players do not work for me. I'm thinking its has to do with a page script error, because I have java flash installed.

HAMMER.jpg

Pretty cool, huh? ;)

Hammer@Myspace

hmr_fillmoremarquee.jpg

I need this album. I really do. Uuuuggghh.