The ULTIMATE Dunlop Plectrum Shoot-out

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
This was originally intended to be a video, with a full backing track of drums and bass. I realized soon after I planned it that my schedule just won't allow that much time.

An opportune situation came up the other week when a band left their brand new Schecter Hellraiser C7 here overnight, freshly strung, which just so happened to be in my favourite tuning evar (Drop C#).

I picked it up, grabbed a bunch of picks I ordered a few weeks before and started bashing away...

So here it is: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/Shoot-outs/Ermz Dunlop Plectrum Shoot-out.rar

I shot out a grand total of 12 different Dunlop picks. Most of the plain Tortex range, a few Gators, a few Sharps and a single Wedge.

This is the recording chain:

Ermz > *plectrum* > Schecter C7 Hellraiser > Countryman Type 85 > Millennia Origin > RME ADI-8 AE > Cubase 6 > Little Labs Red Eye > Custom TS-808 > Marshall JVM > Markus' 'specialsauce' Marshall Cabinet. 100% Mogami + Neutrik cabling.

The only processing is some dither to allow me to bounce the finals in 16-bit. Everything else is entirely raw and exactly as recorded.

Now the disclaimer:
  • I apologize for the sloppy playing. I've barely touched the instrument in the last 5 years, and only ever take it out once every few weeks to have a quick bash. The word 'rusty' only scratches the tip in this case.
  • The riff is very boring, yes, because I thought it up on the spot just to have something solid to track (since I've forgotten all the riffs I've known in Drop C#).
  • I hope this allows those of you who haven't been conscious about this before to understand how much of a significant role plectrum types play in a guitar tone.

Yeah cool, I think I like the Tortex 1mm and 1.14mm most.

One question: the C7 on a Drop C# tuning? Drop C# except the 7th string or what? Otherwise the other strings have to be tuned up?
However, the C7 really rules, I have one too and it really rocks :)

Sure it does. Listen specifically for transient punch, and junk in the mid-bass/low mid area. Use the Sharp 1.5mm as your reference and then listen to how all the others compare in these areas.

Yeah there are differences for sure, but it's hard to find the line of how much of a differenes the pick itself makes, or if the sound changes more because
you feel more or less comfortable with a certain pick...which to some point is also about getting used to it.

^ BS, or did you mean on a classical or western guitar?

Nice test, thanks. The thicker picks really have more attack in all the notes. The 1.5mm Sharp sounds the best to me, I wonder if it also makes such a difference in a mix, I think so though. What strikes me even more is that between the 1.5mm Gator and Sharp, the Sharp gives nicer (high) mid tones. Or is this just the position where you hit the strings? I use V-pick Diamonds because I like how they play and I believe thicker picks always give better tone/attack, especially for rhythm playing.

Agreed, there are significant feel issues. FWIW I found the Sharp picks the most awkward to play by a huge country mile... yet I also feel that they sound best. Make of that what you will!

I've also got the DIs on hand. Let me know if you guys want a go running them through your own amps, so you can hear/feel the difference in person.

Do yourself a favor, say it to you:

Changed your opinion, yeah ?

To which point ?

Can't win against subjectivity :Smug:

(don't have anything against you, it's just...these are the facts)

Yeah, absolutely, I backflipped a full 180 degrees on that one. I was using Jazz IIIs exclusively for about 5 or 6 years. I switched back to regular sized picks... possibly from the Jazz IIIs to the 1.5mm Sharps. The difference in tone was so immense I had to switch over. Had that same experience with multiple clients after I introduced them to those picks. Many conversions from Jazz IIIs over to Sharps for rhythm playing.

I focused as a lead player for the majority of my playing life, so it's natural I preferred the picks which gave the most fluid feel for lead playing. I never really gave a thought about how the size of the pick may actually affect the tone of the instrument. It never even crossed my mind. I can definitely see why guys like Petrucci, Malmsteen and Alexi might use them, as they're so fast... but for rhythm playing they do lack.

I really wish I had pulled out a Jazz III for the test here, so it could speak for itself. Don't have any around anymore though.

Yeah, absolutely, I backflipped a full 180 degrees on that one. I was using Jazz IIIs exclusively for about 5 or 6 years. I switched back to regular sized picks... possibly from the Jazz IIIs to the 1.5mm Sharps. The difference in tone was so immense I had to switch over. Had that same experience with multiple clients after I introduced them to those picks. Many conversions from Jazz IIIs over to Sharps for rhythm playing.

I focused as a lead player for the majority of my playing life, so it's natural I preferred the picks which gave the most fluid feel for lead playing. I never really gave a thought about how the size of the pick may actually affect the tone of the instrument. It never even crossed my mind. I can definitely see why guys like Petrucci, Malmsteen and Alexi might use them, as they're so fast... but for rhythm playing they do lack.

I really wish I had pulled out a Jazz III for the test here, so it could speak for itself. Don't have any around anymore though.

Ok, no offense.

My lack of experience on recording didn't make me change my pick, it's Jazz III since around 1998 I think, when I saw Petrucci guitar video for the first time, never changed since then.

I think it's about time to reconsider this, bought some black Tortex and gold Ultex earlier this year, but didn't really try them on recording...

-edit- Yeah, it would have be great to have some Jazz III picks (black, red, little, big) on this shout-out

Maybe I will try some shout-out with lead playing, will see...

I tried the Sharps on Ermz' recommendation, however they felt too uncomfortable for leads, and as a vocalist/ guitarist, I just couldn't get used to them in a live situation. I've been using .88mm Tortex for about 4 years now, only ones that feel comfortable to me.. however I'm going to try the 1.14's and see how they go :)

Ok, made some lead lick , Ibanez Sabre with SP Custom Lite Screamin Deamon pickup (french brand) through my brave Peavey 50/50/PSA1/EVM 12L setup with a SM57 (some lp and hp, very little):

Jazz III red : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2816078/Zic/Vrac/jazz III red.wav
Jazz III Ultex gold : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2816078/Zic/Vrac/jazz III ultex gold.wav
Tortex 1.14 mm : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2816078/Zic/Vrac/tortex 114.wav
Tortex Sharp (found one ! hard to use ^^) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2816078/Zic/Vrac/tortex sharp.wav

Do you notice some variations ?

I think EVM12L is not the best speakers for picks shootout ^^

Tied between the .88 and the 1.0 Tortex for me, go figure that I use 1.0mm Tortex TIII's and .73mm Tortex for non-metal stuff.

I did the same thing, switching from Jazz III's to Tortex because of the tone. Went to JIII Tortex first, then normal Tortex, then Ultex Sharp, and finally found the InTuneGP XJJ size with is a Jazz III XL made out of Tortex. Dunlop recently released the TIII which is the same thing, which is nice in a pinch.