The ULTIMATE Mikael Akerfeldt quote...EVER...!!

its funny because its true - Homer J (and Hearse) :lol: all i can say is hes the man. its funny the way Prince Nas said stuff like that and then he got beat :lol:

Mikael. if anyone else said that, i'd call them big headed, prick, or just tell them to shut the fuck up. but man, hes right. what can i say.

Originally posted by YaYoGakk
No other band has come close to doing what Opeth do. But to say nobody will is a bit rediculous, Opeth arent perfect. They're are so many areas of their music where people can improve on (eg more weird time signatures)

You´re wrong! Opeth are perfect and I´ll listen to Cynic for some wierd time signatures.

Originally posted by Opet

A few quotes by Mike I haven't been able to forget: "Happy music has no spirit/soul."

Did he really say this? If so, he must've been out of his mind, or implying something different or more specific. Or maybe that's a part of what Opeth is lacking, and can't achieve, making happy music soulful and meaningful. It's just that a lot of metalheads are too narowminded to try something new with happier progressions, they are so used to the tried tested and true dark syle of metal.

I have a demo of theirs. They got signed then broke up.

are you serious?! damnit, i have the demo and it kicks ass. they could've been one of the next big tech-death bands (well...as big as a technical death metal band can get anyways, DAMN THE COMMERCIALIZATION OF THE MUSIC INDUSTRY!!!!:mad: )

i didn't know they broke up, that sucks.

Yeh he is right,......but he didnt have to be so cocky......he could have said something like

"Hey guys we are the best band around, im sorry to all those other bands who try their hardest, but they just have nothing.....they've got cabbage. So sorry to dissapoint you guys!"

How do u like???

Originally posted by Till Fjalls

Did he really say this? If so, he must've been out of his mind, or implying something different or more specific. Or maybe that's a part of what Opeth is lacking, and can't achieve, making happy music soulful and meaningful. It's just that a lot of metalheads are too narowminded to try something new with happier progressions, they are so used to the tried tested and true dark syle of metal.

i guess he meant pop when he said happy music. after allopeth has made a song as "harvest" which is relatively "happier" then other songs like demon of the fall or to bid you farewell, if you see what i mean?

and brooks, why were they boring live? im dying to see them live and do you mena to tell me it's not worth it?

I think he means "happy" as in "major key". Harvest hardly is.

Applause for Mikael. *clapclap* That's exactly the attitude that challenges other bands to try and write even "better" (even though I loathe that word in this instance) music. You don't have to be humble when dealing with abstract and passionate things like extreme progressive metal. ;)

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
"Opeth is obviously a 90s band, but with influences from between 1960-1996! I'd say we are the kings at what we do! No other band has, or will ever come close to what we create! Each and every one of our present and forthcoming volumes will enforce our reign! This is no boasting I tell you! This is my personal view! If anybody thinks I'm fucking bigheaded, well, simply fuck off! Prove me that I'm wrong!"

- Mikael Akerfeldt, to Isten, 1996.

I always thought he was too arrogant. I hate it when he says that the rest of the metal scene today sucks. Those people work just as hard, if not even harder than Opeth, and they deserve respect as well. It is statements such as that one that make me like Opeth less.

Oh and another thing. I just read more of the posts on this thread, and I have some coments. First, Opeth doesn't need odd time signatures. For those I suggest listening to prog bands. And second, I really hate that fucking quote. I also hate the one where he says, "fuck the fans", would his life be better if they had no fans? If that's the case, than why bother releasing albums? My advice to Mikael is: Play your music, and shut the fuck up.

Yeah but that was in 96...I think he still says stuff like that though? But I don't have a problem with it.
Only thing is I think he says he doesn't look for any new bands today or whatever, but there are a lot of great ones out there.

If you're taented at what you do - then let the confidence flow. It just makes you stronger.

To us who have embraced Opeth - they have proven x5 that they in fact know what they are doing, and can produce musical depth.

I hate arrogant people with a passion. Hopefully Mikael doesnt fall into this category :( . And as for the fuck the fans thing, I have met many bands and if they thought like that when I met them I wouldnt be able to say they were nice. Im not gonna kiss ass just because I like a band, if they are cool and the music sucks, or the music rules and they are jackoffs :( :mad: But if they are talented as hell and nice as hell then they truly are great people and musicians.

I admit that I deliberately go over the top sometimes, and though I' m partly serious in what I say, I do like to get reactions like you people just have reacted. It's because I find reading standard answers like "Yeah, our new album's pretty cool" fucking boring to be honest. I've always enjoyed reading Trey Azagthoth's interviews and Quorthorn's as they usually boast or just well...lies. I do it all for a good read + I also think we're great!

I'm not that bigheaded as I might come across in some interviews. Mikko from Isten also left it wide open with his questions...I couldn't control myself!

Mike