the ultimate non-auto-tune production list

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
auto tune!

if you know of an album that didn't use auto tune (in any way, corrective or for effect) in production / post production, please list it here, NOW! you must also include proof.

i'll start...

hmmm can't think of one

I'd say most albums man.

You probably mean; which commerically successful albums that have been released in the recent years, didn't use autotune in any way.

I'm pretty sure most death metal bands don't use (need) autotune :p

Jens Kidman: ROAR

Mixing guy: alright, that was slightly off pitch, we'll get it in mixing from ROAR to ROARGH.

Oh hell, about three months or so.... I was utterly merciless when we tracked vocals.

Jeff's a world class singer, no doubt. Sort of a mix between Dennis DeYoung (Styx), Freddy Mercury, and Dave Mustaine. Huge range, amazing vibrato, and very, very creative with the harmonies. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of hard work.

I've been sitting on this record since November... Fredrik & Henrik did an amazing job mixing, and I really want to post something here, but I can't until the single has been properly released & promoed.

Oh hell, about three months or so.... I was utterly merciless when we tracked vocals.

Jeff's a world class singer, no doubt. Sort of a mix between Dennis DeYoung (Styx), Freddy Mercury, and Dave Mustaine. Huge range, amazing vibrato, and very, very creative with the harmonies. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of hard work.

I've been sitting on this record since November... Fredrik & Henrik did an amazing job mixing, and I really want to post something here, but I can't until the single has been properly released & promoed.

there you go, perfect reason not to use one, cuz you have time

try making an album in 27 days

I don't think corective but transparent should count. And I think you're really gonna open a can of worms with this one Joey.

I would say anything before 1995 or so. You didn't specify recent cds. If I were to take a guess at something, without proof, I would say Bruce Dickinson isn't using auto-tune

other than that, why such a belligerent tone about it all? Do you need everyone to agree with you or your methods all the time? Cause you're just opening the door for people to bust your chops even more by starting a thread like this and then kinda jumpin all over people

actually, aren't alot of british productions very "live"? like the White Stripes or Babyshambles? Jack White is so offtune on the albums sometimes, I really doubt he uses autotune. And Maynard Keenan from Tool was off at times on the first APC album, iirc, so I don't think they did, either.

I'd say 95% of anything commercial made in the past 10 years has autotune all over it. and obviously death metal bands and "your step sister's Karaoke album" don't count in this. I just don't see why you would spend the extra time when you can get the same result(or better - I happen to like the smooth tone that autotune imparts - and apparently so does the general public because just about anything on the radio is tuned to fuck and back) twice as fast.

say you have a part which is the main take, a double, a harmony with a double, and a low octave.

you can spend a ton of time getting them all perfect manually, because the little variations add up quick, or you can get good takes with good vibe and then tune them so they layer perfectly. it's a no-brainer. you think the singer is still gonna be feeling the song after 20 takes? I know I wouldn't be.

/endrant

Susan Boyle..... LOL shes just that good, the face is proof enough right?

susan-boyle-pic-itv-150409-thumb-450x324.jpg