the ultimate non-auto-tune production list

Dude, i've defended you quite a bit, but now you're going all fagtard on us. It's like there weren't enough threads talking shit, so you had to think up something to stir it up.

On that note, I hope you stick around dude. I think you're a great producer. I'm not a fan of the bands you produce but that's besides the point. You seem like a cool guy with a sense of humor, and I can understand why you're getting all irritated.

must be awesome to have some talent that never goes flat or sharp !

no, they often are a bit flat or sharp, but that is part of the voice/character of the singer and doesn't mean it'll sound shit in the mix.
there are lots of styles that don't require/rely on perfection but on emotions and feeling etc, that's actually one of the main reasons why people make and are listening to music. often it's more important to preserve that than to have a 100% perfectly pitched track.
as I said, all a matter of style and taste etc, and of course the extreme tightness is part of the metalcore-thing, and if you tweak it to get THAT sound it's all good...that doesn't mean that the same is true for all styles and it definitely doesn't mean that all the famous/good albums are pitched to perfection.

I for example LOVE Dane on Neermore..he's got so much emotions and feeling in his voice...if he'd be quantised and pitched until everything is 100% the music would lose what's its strongest point (not saying there's no correction whatsoever on it of course)

lots of the singers I work with are a bit off...but that's alright as long as it fits the music

no, they often are a bit flat or sharp, but that is part of the voice/character of the singer and doesn't mean it'll sound shit in the mix.
there are lots of styles that don't require/rely on perfection but on emotions and feeling etc, that's actually one of the main reasons why people make and are listening to music. often it's more important to preserve that than to have a 100% perfectly pitched track.
as I said, all a matter of style and taste etc, and of course the extreme tightness is part of the metalcore-thing, and if you tweak it to get THAT sound it's all good...that doesn't mean that the same is true for all styles and it definitely doesn't mean that all the famous/good albums are pitched to perfection.

I for example LOVE Dane on Neermore..he's got so much emotions and feeling in his voice...if he'd be quantised and pitched until everything is 100% the music would lose what's its strongest point (not saying there's no correction whatsoever on it of course)

lots of the singers I work with are a bit off...but that's alright as long as it fits the music

+1

but honestly if i heard something that sounded nice i'd leave it
but it all sounds quite shit before i edit it

This is what I've been saying for months. You're a big enough name to move on from recording talentless acts and start working with real musicians. You don't like having to edit shit to sound like it isn't shit? Then don't do it.

And seriously, I can't believe I'm the only guy that saw some childish shit like this coming.

ive worked my way through the multi platinum pro tools dvds (yeah man , 150 $ for 30 hours of fun watching brady edit
every single syllable) - and i came to the conclusion that every major release is edited to perfection,
not only pitch wise (still not on "auto" setting, but by hand) but also time corrected.
(of course perfection is genre dependent... even the white stripes might have been edited. just not to
the same degree as britney..)

if i hadnt learned these techniques, i couldnt let any of my clients leave... i love pitch correctino (though i use vari audio and melodyne). joey - you have created a genre on your own - without you these bands could have never gotten that succesful.
i think part of that is making these bands sound like perfect machines - and that is cool for this genre!

bands that i work with NEVER complain about my extensive use of pitch correction / tuning.
i think, people got used to the sound of perfect vocals..

off notes in my opinion also never add something positive (mistaken as "feel") to a song... but thats another story.

This is what I've been saying for months. You're a big enough name to move on from recording talentless acts and start working with real musicians.

I think you're way overestimating his actual position in this business.

How did he get where he is? He's talented but his work-attitude and non-elitist behaviour contributed at least as much.

Before I go on: I have not a single Sturgis record in my collection and probably still won't have in any foreseeable future. I can't stand listening to any of the bands he worked with, to me, they're all the same. But that's totally okay. I don't have to.

But at the same time I have a lot of respect for his abilities and work ethic. It's not immoral to make money, it's not immoral to make good money. We all want this and I have respect for people who stay true to themselves while doing so. So if he'd be sending home the crabcore bands now, THAT would be hypocritical, because ITE they got him to where he is now and he got them to where they are now.

Joey is not irreplaceable. Some bands have already moved on like Oceano recently. Apparently they (or their label) didn't think that delaying their schedule was worth enough "just" to work with him again. Now, there'S Zeuss gladly handling their next offering.

What I'm saying is: This business waits for nobody. Right now he might be booked until no good, but if he got into the habit of turning down bands for all the wrong reasons, he might finds himself back at his old garage sooner than later and who knows how long crab-/deathcore will be the hottest thing in town.

I like your ideals Gareth... when I read some of your posts, I always think of myself in that age when I even thought that a triggered drum was a damn sacrilege. I think you are still a bit blue-eyed in that sense and I'm saying that with the best intentions. But it's time for a reality check: It's a job.

What Joey does is his job. He's offering a service and he better appreciates every client until there's Metallica and Bon Jovi running in his door.

there you go, perfect reason not to use one, cuz you have time

try making an album in 27 days

We do what we have to... I had the time, and more importantly, the budget, to really work on performances. That doesn't happen very often.
When you've got time/budget constraints, you need to get results no matter what. I certainly understand your position.

But, I must ask, who the hell gave you only 27 days to do an album? ...and, why? very curious...

-0z-

Does this stuff really STILL matter...people dont like the bands he works with...great....people hate autotune....great...its the same reoccurring rant day in and day out...dudes got a good name for himself,granted he started the shit storm this time but regardless,i thought engineering was about making the client happy and the band sound like gold on cd, isnt that what hes doing?...IMO the only difference between him and the rest of the people on this forum is that, at the end of the day, his wallet is just a little bit heavier than the rest of ours.

I just did a band for Earache Records and I only had 30 days. The budgets are not there to spend months and months on a album. You have to be able to crank out albums if you want to stay profitable in this market. Unless you work a day job, and do the studio on the side.

So Joey don't let these people ruffle your feathers, your production is top notch! Most people would fold doing a album in 27 days. Plus it would probably sound like shit to boot.