The Upcoming Album: Info, your comments & expectations etc.

Mikko Ilmarinen

Son of Ukko
Sep 12, 2005
Hellsinki/Finland
www.kiuas.net
Allright metalheads and other freaks!!!:hotjump:

The studio sessions for the upcoming full-length Kiuas album have begun at Sonic pump studios, Helsinki. If all goes well, the album will be recorded, mixed and mastered by the end of March. Today, Markku already managed to record the drums to one song, so we are on our way to creating a new awesome piece of genuine metal.
So, post here all your questions, comments, expectations etc. and we'll try and answer as best as we can. Also, check out the studio diary on our webpage, we'll try and update it as often as we can.

Here are the working titles for the songs (some of them might change):
1. Race with the falcons
2. Through the ice age
3. Of ancient wounds (as the pagan sun rises)
4. Black winged goddess
5. Call of the horns
6. Reformation (wrath of the old gods)
7. Heart of the serpent
8. Bleeding strings
9. Untitled, we call it "the cembalo song"

Also, expect a single (in Finland only, sorry everyone else) which will feature a cover of Jethro Tull's "Hunting girl" from their 1977 release "Songs from the wood" as a Kiuas-style metal version. That will also be the japan bonus track of the album.
Ok, more info later...may Ukko and Crom watch over us all!!!:devil:

I was wondering why there hadn't been any new posts in here for a while. I decided in my head that you guys were in the studio, and I was right!

The song names with parentheses seem kind of long. Are the parts in parentheses just alternate titles for the songs? One's you haven't decided on? Other than that, the song titles are great.

Did Ilja write any lyrics, like he did for No More Sleep for Me?

Other than that, I will just say that I except amazing vocals(i.e. Blind Guardian-esque chior chorus as was hinted at earlier), and killer musicianship as always. Perhaps a slightly more refined guitar tone (i.e. less fuzz); that was really the only qualm I had with the production on Ukko, and it was not nearly enough of a qualm to detract from any part of that cd. Also, maybe some freakin' sweet orchestration and more live instruments like on North Star.

I am pretty excited, the above are just thoughts because usually bands aren't this intimate with their fans about all their goings-on.

Adam Fiske said:
I was wondering why there hadn't been any new posts in here for a while. I decided in my head that you guys were in the studio, and I was right!

The song names with parentheses seem kind of long. Are the parts in parentheses just alternate titles for the songs? One's you haven't decided on? Other than that, the song titles are great.

Did Ilja write any lyrics, like he did for No More Sleep for Me?

Other than that, I will just say that I except amazing vocals(i.e. Blind Guardian-esque chior chorus as was hinted at earlier), and killer musicianship as always. Perhaps a slightly more refined guitar tone (i.e. less fuzz); that was really the only qualm I had with the production on Ukko, and it was not nearly enough of a qualm to detract from any part of that cd. Also, maybe some freakin' sweet orchestration and more live instruments like on North Star.

I am pretty excited, the above are just thoughts because usually bands aren't this intimate with their fans about all their goings-on.

Oh yes, they are kind of long, and they ARE alternate titles, I really haven't decided yet.
The guitar tone? Let's just say that production-wise everything will be superior to the first record. Our budget is about three times that of Ukko, and the new Sonic pump studio -along with the famous Finnvox-, is the best studio in Helsinki. The acoustics of the space where we record the drums are fantastic, by the way, so expect great drums sounds! Considering the circumstances, finding a killer guitar tone will be childsplay. :devil:
There definately will be some acoustic instruments as well,...and yes, CHOIRS! :D :headbang:

Awesome! It sounds like the album is gonna be great!
Covering Jethro Tull is a very good choice, I can already imagine how the Kiuas -version of the song would sound like :headbang:

But I was just wondering which of those songs are the ones you played at Nosturi?

Hell yeah! :headbang:

This sounds extremely promising! Not that there's anything to complain about the sounds in Spirit of Ukko but I guess this time they'll be even better! After everything that Mikko has said about composing the new songs my expectations are really high! Let's hope that everything goes as planned and we'll be able to listen to the new album ASAP :hotjump:

I've got a quick idea. Could you put up a little guide as to which songs Markku (and the rest of you guys) is referring to in the studio diary when he mentions names like "intiaani" and "egypti?" That way we can match them up with the list you posted up top and figure out which songs he's talking about and maybe get ideas about how they sound.

EDIT: and now "ice" (which I assume is Through the Ice Age) and "taistelu."

The working-titles of the upcoming album makes me drool and bang my brains. The new music of Kiuas will be one of the biggest highlights of the year 2006 for me, and I was just thrilled to hear that you'll be playing a Jethro Tull cover. That's awesome, I'm more than pleased that you didn't decide to play a Maiden-song or the like because there wouldn't have been the same kind of uniqueness.

Adam Fiske said:
I've got a quick idea. Could you put up a little guide as to which songs Markku (and the rest of you guys) is referring to in the studio diary when he mentions names like "intiaani" and "egypti?" That way we can match them up with the list you posted up top and figure out which songs he's talking about and maybe get ideas about how they sound.

EDIT: and now "ice" (which I assume is Through the Ice Age) and "taistelu."

Oh yes,...

1. Race with the falcons = Vihanen perkele
2. Through the ice age = ice
3. Of ancient wounds (as the pagan sun rises) = intiaani
4. Black winged goddess = dragonball Z
5. Call of the horns = taistelu
6. Reformation (wrath of the old gods) = evil and mysterious a.k.a pakanajumalten viha
7. Heart of the serpent = egypti
8. Bleeding strings = balladi
9. Untitled, we call it "the cembalo song"

...there!! :dopey:

The song is called “dragonball Z”. Lots of double bass drums and blast beats and Nintedo sounding keyboards
Oh shit I just crapped in my pants! This is going to be awesome! :D

Markku said:
Atte and I started to record a song called “evil and mysterious a.k.a. pakanajumalten viha”. It’s the longest song and will be so filled up with stuff that it will be great! No other options! The verses are Manowarish and there’s even a part from our classic Discipine of Steel –song. Choruses will be so big that they won’t fit on this planet. Be aware!

This sounds amazing I can't fucking wait.

All right!
So, it's been a while, hasn't it?
Well, it's all because the rest of the studio sessions have taken...ALL my time, therefore I haven't posted any info since I started doing my parts,...sorry guys.
Now it's my extreme pleasure to announce that THE RECORDING IS DONE! The album will be mastered on the 27th (this wednesday).
I updated the studio diary a little bit, and we'll finish it soon. So stay tuned, after a long an demanding episode we are ready to make contact with the outside world again...! :hotjump:

Man, that's awesome. I read all the studio diary stuff last night, and I must say I am excited to read that Tiko from Amoral will be on the record. Also, Reformation sounds awesome with the strings and flute. I am excited, to say the least.