The USBM Thread

Have you heard Sakrefix from Austin? Good band though underground, I've talked many times online with the founder of the band.
Xasthur, Leviatha, Absu, Black Witchery, and Krieg are my favorite USBM bands, I want to get into more though and I really want to hear Grand Belial's Key.

Yes, I saw them at the last concert I went to, and honestly - they just sounded like they were imitating Emperor and Immortal. The guys in the band have to be pretty young too, plus their whole image was kinda goofy. Imagine a bunch of highschool kids wearing a Master of Puppets shirt, the lead screamer with NO shirt and fake blood dripping down from his mouth, and the other members wearing various stereotypical metal shirts.

With a list like what you came up with, I'm very surprised to hear that you like them...

Yes, I saw them at the last concert I went to, and honestly - they just sounded like they were imitating Emperor and Immortal. The guys in the band have to be pretty young too, plus their whole image was kinda goofy. Imagine a bunch of highschool kids wearing a Master of Puppets shirt, the lead screamer with NO shirt and fake blood dripping down from his mouth, and the other members wearing various stereotypical metal shirts.

With a list like what you came up with, I'm very surprised to hear that you like them...
Yeah, they're a few years older than me, the founder said he cleaned out the Immortal section at a store one day.:lol: Yeah, I tend to like blackened death like God Dethroned and Zyklon.

Let's not forget Velvet Cacoon. Genevieve is awesome.

Leviathan is probably my favorite black metal band right now. For people not familiar with the albums beyond the full-lengths, here's a summary of what I've heard:

Howl Mockery at the Cross - Demo set with the songs basically ordered from best to worst. A few outstanding songs. The production varies from song to song. In most cases, it's on par with the LPs. Material ranges from being minimal and similar to Tenth Sub-Level to the more elaborate songs on Tentacles of Whorror.

Xasthur/Leviathan - Probably the two greatest Leviathan songs, really unlike anything on the albums. Totally epic and grandiose, with beautiful, spacy synth work. The guitars are bit fuzzier and warmer than on the LPs. Xasthur half is very solid as well.

Blackdeath/Leviathan - A more experimental release with some samples and a drone segment. Derision is one of the finest Leviathan songs, very romantic and uplifting in its melodies. The Blackdeath songs are awful.

Leviathan/Sapthuran - The newest stuff. It's faster, more technical, and has hints of newer Deathspell Omega (Kenose) in it. Great melodies, and real drums instead of the V-drums on all other releases. Same great bass and drum work as always. I'll give the Sapthuran material another go, but it didn't sound promising. Bands like this and Blackdeath make me feel good about my chances to land on a split with Leviathan.

Those are the only releases I've been able to find. The other splits and demos are hard to come by.

to exist black metal in the United States is a surprise to me

I just know Absu and Judas Scariot, but i don't know what's the real representation of these bands in the world black metal scene

Does anybody honestly feel US Black metal is not as cool as Norwegian Black Metal?

Its like Norway has had such a long history of black metal. Its also like all the classic Black Metal bands came from there, you know. They have Emperor, Gorgoroth, and others. I mean, all my favorite black metal bands are from Norway and the US...well, I can't think of one from there.

Canada has more tradition in Black Metal than USA.

do any USBM band have the same prestige that Blasphemy around the world?

i don't think so

But you're speaking from the perspective of someone who admittedly hasn't listened to USBM. Perhaps most bands don't have the same world-wide recognition, but many are gaining that status and some of those are even great bands.