The Vinyl/Collector's Thread

My DP vinyl ...

x2%201_zpscxm3oeza.jpg

x3_zpsanazoj8q.jpg

... i'm not sure if DPiR is an original pressing or not but the date on the jacket and record is 1970. I think Perfect Strangers is a first pressing.

edit: It's this one ... http://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-Deep-Purple-In-Rock/release/6573419

x2%202_zpshynsoe3t.jpg

Doesn't effect the sound whatsoever. Just wanted to know wtf was up with those marks or if i was the only one here that with new vinyl that had marks on it. It's that Ramming Speed vinyl above but i just couldn't capture the marks on camera.

Man i wish i had enough money to order those Nile releases.

Pale Communion... Lol. But already sold out. I woulda grabbed one for that. Thanks for the heads up man.

They have it up as Pale Communication :lol:

Haven't really listened to any of their newer proggy stuff but for that price i said fuck it. It was sold out last week when i ordered it too ... it shipped out yesterday though. Give it a shot.

I was disappointed with their first prog rock album, Pale Communion is good though.

I gave it a try. We'll see.

Sounds like your stylus man. Sounds like its super dirty.

Im not sure about using rubbing alcohol...Thats something to look up before trying.

I use a little brush that came with my cartridge and very lightly clean it that way. Ive also heard of people using Magic Erasers. No need to wet it or use a solution, just drop the needle onto the eraser and it picks up gunk from the needle.

WORD OF CAUTION:
BE VERY CAREFUL FUCKING WITH YOUR STYLUS. SHIT IS SUUUUUUUUPER FRAGILE.

(Cant reiterate that enough. I just broke my $100 needle a few weeks ago.)

I just tried dipping the needle in the swab a few times and wet cleaned the record with the same swab and an anti-static cloth ... sounds a little better but still way too much background noise. I tested some of my other vinyl out and most were pretty quiet, with the occasional crackling or hissing.

Yeah, Magic Eraser sound like the way to go ... most people swear it does the job.

Also, would a soft toothbrush work instead of a record brush?

Might be a bit coarse...Just make sure you use a new toothbrush if you try that...

But if your other records were quiet, then it leads me to believe the record isnt new, its dirty or its defective.

It has to be one or the other. Especially if others were pretty quiet, and Im thinking its the record.

EDIT:

And just to clarify, I dont use my record brush on my needle. My cartridge came with a small cleaning brush. Just want that to be clear incase someone tries using their record brush to clean their needle :lol:

The vinyl is probably fucked and thats why it was so cheap. Maybe im paranoid, I'll check around the internet.

^ @ Kaf yeah, i was talking about the little black cleaning brushes.

So i found a magic eraser stashed under the kitchen sink. And i definitely hear a difference, but there's still some background noise there and i hear it on the quiet parts of the first track. There's a TON of static coming off the disc, i hear it when i'm cleaning it with the AS cloth and i even see it when i put it next to my arm, lol.

Also, i am running it from a cheap ass setup(minus the speakers) ... none of my vinyl play flawlessly all the way through.

Thats a lot of fucking static goin on...

Do you have a humidifier in your home? If so, move that to your room with the record out. The added humidity will help with the static.