The vocals

replicated

Threadkiller
Nov 1, 2004
Bumfuck, MI 69666
Hey. I'm new to November's Doom. Heard of them through the Nevermore board and recently bought the Pale Haunt Departure (which I have been blasting in my truck for the past 2 weeks) The vocals are so awesome in this album. It is deep, yet distinct. Brutal, yet comprehendable. They are far from the typical death vocals. I was wondering, how in the hell do you achieve that sound? I myself am interested in learning some technique, and was wondering how you growl like that. :hotjump:

Paul just opens his mouth and that sound comes out. Seriously, it's awesome! I asked him the same thing when we first met, and then he showed me. Kickass!

Happy New Year to you Novembers Doom lads! Good luck in 2006!

Neil K.

Septembers Marc said:
Warrel does not look all that good to me in that picture you got there, replicated. Does not have to do anything with the thread, but I just noticed...

I beg to differ. Warrel looks surprisingly sexy in this picture. :hotjump:

Thanks guys. My biggest influence in my vocals were Chicago bands Sindrome, and Devastation. Troy Dixler had a very distinct sound to his voice, and I always admired the way he was so clear and audible. I wanted to keep that, only heavier, with more growl. Some of the guys who I have been inspired by, to keep pushing myself to reach the exact sound I wanted were Nick Holmes, and Dan Swano. Two of the very BEST growlers in metal.

Nick Holmes is a badass growler. I've been working my ass off in trying to emulate the sound he has, specifically the Icon/Draconia Times style vox. I've also been working on Ville Laihailla-style dirty vox, but they end up coming off like Pasi Koskinen at times.

For me, Nick Holmes was his best during Lost Paradise and Gothic. I think Mike Akerfeld is a fantastic vocalist, but my mentions were for the guys who actually inspired me. Even Dan Swano came later on for me, after I was already doing it. Troy Dixler and Nick Holmes... To me, I've wanted to be a combination of those two guys.

Billy Steele said:
Nick Holmes is a badass growler. I've been working my ass off in trying to emulate the sound he has, specifically the Icon/Draconia Times style vox. I've also been working on Ville Laihailla-style dirty vox, but they end up coming off like Pasi Koskinen at times.

Pasi has a great growl on Shape of Despair, you have to hear the song Entwined in Misery, its great.

Pasi is one of my favorite vocalists, hence my concern regarding the new Amorphis cd, but I have heard some of the new material and it sounds really good, just different. I really liked Pasi's clean vocals and how he'd now and then throw in a brief growl here and there like on the "Tuonela" cd.

Other than Paul, Dan Swano and Mike Akerfeldt are probably my favorite growlers, along with that guy from Ribspreader.

His bellayyyyyyyyyyy

030404.gif